wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I bought this Wii:
http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1497.l2649

And I have it in my hands right now. Does the DVD drive sound kaput, and I should buy a new one, or is it fixable by just tinkering with it? The problem sounds mechanical to me.
Does it accept discs and spin up when a disc is inserted? Does the laser come on? What sort of noise does it make?

What I would do is open it up, clean it out, then check to see what works and what doesn't. A few months ago I bought a Wii which was not reading properly. So, I opened it up, cleaned out clumps of dust and hair, tuned up the spindle, and now it works perfectly.

Here's some information on fixing excessive spindle noise/vibration: http://www.mmmonkey....r/wii-noise.htm

The drive's a D2.

That's good for reading backups and burned DVDs for video playback.

Click This

Surgite!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. Finally got around to looking at my Wii.

When I put discs in, it accepts them fine, but I don't hear the drive spindling up.
Looks like I might have to replace the motor, is that easy?

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Could be a dead spindle motor. One Wii that I repaired required a new motor and works just fine now after replacement. It isn't that difficult, but does require disassembling the drive as well as careful adjustment of the mounting position of the new motor during installation.

I bought the spindle motor here: www.dealextreme.com/p/replacement-repair-parts-dvd-drive-motor-engine-for-wii-67266

robbo32

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i have a similar problem with mine,,,,it dosent accept discs fully,,and when i manage to poke the disc in it wont spin,,,any ideas??

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended