Fixing Wii DVD drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Click This, Apr 22, 2012.

Apr 22, 2012

Fixing Wii DVD drive by Click This at 12:14 AM (1,854 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Click This
    OP

Member Click This Surgite!

United States
    I bought this Wii:
    http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1497.l2649

And I have it in my hands right now. Does the DVD drive sound kaput, and I should buy a new one, or is it fixable by just tinkering with it? The problem sounds mechanical to me.

The drive's a D2.

2. Supernova741

Newcomer Supernova741 GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    Could be anything from what I see. Best to open it and see what you can find.

3. wiismodrome

Member wiismodrome flubber

Seychelles
    Does it accept discs and spin up when a disc is inserted? Does the laser come on? What sort of noise does it make?

What I would do is open it up, clean it out, then check to see what works and what doesn't. A few months ago I bought a Wii which was not reading properly. So, I opened it up, cleaned out clumps of dust and hair, tuned up the spindle, and now it works perfectly.

Here's some information on fixing excessive spindle noise/vibration: http://www.mmmonkey....r/wii-noise.htm

That's good for reading backups and burned DVDs for video playback.

4. Click This
    OP

Member Click This Surgite!

United States
    Hey guys. Finally got around to looking at my Wii.

When I put discs in, it accepts them fine, but I don't hear the drive spindling up.
    Looks like I might have to replace the motor, is that easy?

5. wiismodrome

Seychelles
    Could be a dead spindle motor. One Wii that I repaired required a new motor and works just fine now after replacement. It isn't that difficult, but does require disassembling the drive as well as careful adjustment of the mounting position of the new motor during installation.

I bought the spindle motor here: www.dealextreme.com/p/replacement-repair-parts-dvd-drive-motor-engine-for-wii-67266

6. manule

Newcomer manule Newbie

Germany
    i get fucking erorr message when put in disk is it now spindle damgae or what

7. wiismodrome

Seychelles
    If the drive spins up, but the laser doesn't light up to read the disc, then it is probably the laser. If the drive doesn't spin, the the spindle motor is more likely.

8. robbo32

Newcomer robbo32 Newbie

United Kingdom
    i have a similar problem with mine,,,,it dosent accept discs fully,,and when i manage to poke the disc in it wont spin,,,any ideas??