Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Sony has announced the PSP2 (temporarily named the “Next Generation Portable”), perhaps the final boss of handheld consoles. It’s far more powerful than its destined competitor, Nintendo’s 3DS, and incorporates social and locational data, 3G, a monster 5? OLED screen, and a number of other features detailed here. It is to be one of the linchpin platforms for the world’s most recognizable entertainment electronics company, a stomping ground for new games, media, and services. And I think it’s going to go down in flames.

Why? It’s got its competitor beat on nearly every spec, it’s got the backing of droves of Sony fanboys, and million-selling franchises just waiting to be put on its crisp 960×544 screen. How can it fail? I’d say by not addressing the fundamental needs of a handheld gaming console and ignoring strong trends in the market.

Before I start, I just want to register my admiration of the Sony team in putting together such an impressive piece of hardware. No one can fault that. Sony is firing on all cylinders — but in my humble opinion, in the wrong direction. Here are the reasons why I feel they’re going to be steamrolled by Nintendo (and Apple) over the next three years.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/01/27/five-...2-wont-succeed/

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of the same could be said of the 3DS.

Or really every gaming system ever sold.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neo_Ch!p said:
I've been saying it for 3 straight months. Graphics DO NOT 'make' "FUN". I'll spell out what plays a major role in "Fun":

"I-N-N-O-V-A-T-I-O-N"... case closed
Ha!

I've been saying it for at least 4 years!

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Neo_Ch!p said:
I've been saying it for 3 straight months. Graphics DO NOT 'make' "FUN". I'll spell out what plays a major role in "Fun":

Yes, because having great graphics you CAN'T have FUN...

Seriously... (sorry moderation, you can warn/ban me), but guys like you are fuck'n retards. That means... 90% of this forum.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
Neo_Ch!p said:

then i bet u hate the 3DS
The first console to use 3D visualizations without the need for glasses let alone with touch screen technology?

Yeah, it sure sucks.

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neo_Ch!p said:

Innovation != fun. Innovation can lead to a lot of fun, as evidenced by the DS and Wii, but that's mainly due to solid games making good use of new features. If innovation meant instant fun, then the VirtualBoy and CDi would have done a little better, don't you think?
tongue.gif

EDIT: I read it a bit wrong, but I still don't think innovation is even a major part of fun, at least to some people.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
_Chaz_ said:
Terminator02 said:
Neo_Ch!p said:

The first console to use 3D visualizations without the need for glasses let alone with touch screen technology?

Yeah, it sure sucks.

QUOTE(Maedhros @ Jan 28 2011, 11:54 PM)
Yes, because having great graphics you CAN'T have FUN...

Seriously... (sorry moderation, you can warn/ban me), but guys like you are fuck'n retards. That means... 90% of this forum.
He literally said "Graphics DO NOT 'make' 'FUN'." You're making it seem like he said "Graphics = No Fun."

I think you're a bit retarded.
Something that will not be used for more than some minutes at least and something that brings NOTHING major to the gameplay (immersion could even be a nice argument, but that only works on big screens), it's just a gimmick.

Graphics don't have NOTHING to do with the fun. What is important are the games who will be released, that's valid for both consoles. If we have good games coming for them, it'll sell.

EDIT: About the second quote... a lot of people think that Sony only focus on graphics, so no fun. I assumed that he was one of these. But I have understood him wrong, I guess... anyway... Inovation don't bring fun necessarially... it's how the companies uses the resources of the console who makes it fun... and NGP has nothing wrong on that side, it has a lot of things who could be used to make great games. And the thirdies ARE interested on it, so we can expect a lot of games bringing innovative uses.

Oveneise

Trophies
Website
ACAdapterquotes.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, they both look like they'll be great systems, but Sony shouldn't market the psp2 on its hardware alone, but rather, market it on the games that will get released on it. A game system is only as good as the games it has on it. I have both a DS and borrowed my buddy's PSP for a few months, and I hardly ever touched the PSP, due to it mostly having watered-down PS2 ports, and just not enough fun games. Hopefully Sony will be able to make some great games for the PSP2, since it looks like it has a ton of potential.

EDIT: Wow... a lot of butthurt on this thread.

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The article does seem a "little" biased *COUGH*. To say that it doesn't bring anything new isn't necessarily a drawback. For the 3DS, the addition of no-glasses 3D is just bait for the sheeple and uneducated masses. Soon it blows over since it isn't that great. The revolutionary thing about the PSP2 is two joysticks. That really changes everything. Whereas the 3DS' main improvement over the DS is a joystick. Both have much larger processing power than previous generations, although the PSP2 is truly impressive.

And then saying AAA titles never sell. That's like saying the CoD series won't help console sales. It sure does. I'm pretty sure if piracy isn't rampant on the PSP2, games like GTA would help sell the console like hotcakes. Granted, this wasn't the case on the DS, and people are still confused as to why.

Finally to address the statement that "big-screen titles are big screen for a reason". That argument is quite disillusional, and somewhat strawman. People would kill to have full console games on the go, otherwise what are portable gaming laptops for? Or GTA on PSP. This guy just sounds like a typical pro-casual gamer Nintendo fanboy.

Nevertheless, I'm supportive of both the PSP2 and the 3DS, just that the prospect of full console games on the PSP2 with two joysticks really makes me excited. The only thing that gets the 3DS going for me is Ocarina of Time... and that's about it.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maedhros said:
Something that will not be used for more than some minutes at least and something that brings NOTHING major to the gameplay (immersion could even be a nice argument, but that only works on big screens), it's just a gimmick.

Graphics don't have NOTHING to do with the fun. What is important are the games who will be released, that's valid for both consoles. If we have good games coming for them, it'll sell.
Some gimmicks are fun.
The DS and the Wii wouldn't have been nearly as much fun if I wasn't tapping a screen or flailing my arms. It's just FUN.
Big screens are just another reason for developers to not try as hard as they would have to on a small screen.

Graphics have almost nothing to do with the fun. My proof? Zork.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
_Chaz_ said:
Maedhros said:

Some gimmicks are fun.
The DS and the Wii wouldn't have been nearly as much fun if I wasn't tapping a screen or flailing my arms. It's just FUN.
Big screens are just another reason for developers to not try as hard as they would have to on a small screen.

Graphics have almost nothing to do with the fun. My proof? Zork.
That's really subjective... I don't like waving my arms most of the time on the wii, but that's me (when the game have support for GC/Classic Controller, you can bet I'll use that).
The DS brought some interesting uses of the touchscreen... but most of the time, games would use the touch to access menus and maps... not that was a bad thing... but that's a example of bad use of an interesting feature. It only depends on how the hell the companies will use the features on the NGP (we already saw a really interesting tech demo using the back touchpad).
The hell big screens have to do with developers no trying... that makes no sense.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maedhros said:
That's really subjective... I don't like waving my arms most of the time on the wii, but that's me (when the game have support for GC/Classic Controller, you can bet I'll use that).
The DS brought some interesting uses of the touchscreen... but most of the time, games would use the touch to access menus and maps... not that was a bad thing... but that's a example of bad use of an interesting feature. It only depends on how the hell the companies will use the features on the NGP (we already saw a really interesting tech demo using the back touchpad).
The hell big screens have to do with developers no trying... that makes no sense.
Subjective or not, enough people found it fun to make them the best selling consoles of their generations.

It makes plenty of sense. Do I want to attract you with effort, or do I want to impress you with the number of polygons you can see at once?

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
Terminator02 said:
Neo_Ch!p said:

Yeah, it sure sucks.
Sure it does that, but it doesn't bring anything to the table. Not many are interested in the 3D. What drew people in were the graphics it was showing and capable of doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ckbBpSKhw