Five Reasons the PSP2 won't succeed

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Sully99, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2011
  1. Sully99
    OP

Banned Sully99 Banned

United States

http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/01/27/five-...2-wont-succeed/

2. Vigilante

Member Vigilante TempLurker

Philippines
    great nintendo fan boy on the link

3. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    A lot of the same could be said of the 3DS.

Or really every gaming system ever sold.

4. TheTwoR's

Member TheTwoR's Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D

Belgium
    I don't know if I'm the only one who 100% agreed with the guy who wrote that page.

5. Neo_Ch!p

Newcomer Neo_Ch!p Advanced Member

United States
    I've been saying it for 3 straight months. Graphics DO NOT 'make' "FUN". I'll spell out what plays a major role in "Fun":

"I-N-N-O-V-A-T-I-O-N"... case closed

6. TheDestroyer

Member TheDestroyer GBAtemp's Official Keyblade Master™

United States
    Every gaming console has drawbacks and even so, it's a decision made by people. Theres probably 90% chance of me getting both 3ds and psp2 on the near future.

7. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    Can this even be considered news?

8. _Chaz_

United States
    Ha!

I've been saying it for at least 4 years!

9. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    i don't agree to all his points but most if it. but the touchpad behind is new.

10. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    then i bet u hate the 3DS

11. Maedhros

Member Maedhros GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Brazil
    Yes, because having great graphics you CAN'T have FUN...

Seriously... (sorry moderation, you can warn/ban me), but guys like you are fuck'n retards. That means... 90% of this forum.

12. _Chaz_

United States
    The first console to use 3D visualizations without the need for glasses let alone with touch screen technology?

Yeah, it sure sucks.

13. SylvWolf

Member SylvWolf Ave Dominus Nox

United States
    Innovation != fun. Innovation can lead to a lot of fun, as evidenced by the DS and Wii, but that's mainly due to solid games making good use of new features. If innovation meant instant fun, then the VirtualBoy and CDi would have done a little better, don't you think? [​IMG]

EDIT: I read it a bit wrong, but I still don't think innovation is even a major part of fun, at least to some people.

14. Maedhros

Brazil
    Something that will not be used for more than some minutes at least and something that brings NOTHING major to the gameplay (immersion could even be a nice argument, but that only works on big screens), it's just a gimmick.

Graphics don't have NOTHING to do with the fun. What is important are the games who will be released, that's valid for both consoles. If we have good games coming for them, it'll sell.

EDIT: About the second quote... a lot of people think that Sony only focus on graphics, so no fun. I assumed that he was one of these. But I have understood him wrong, I guess... anyway... Inovation don't bring fun necessarially... it's how the companies uses the resources of the console who makes it fun... and NGP has nothing wrong on that side, it has a lot of things who could be used to make great games. And the thirdies ARE interested on it, so we can expect a lot of games bringing innovative uses.

15. Oveneise

Member Oveneise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Honestly, they both look like they'll be great systems, but Sony shouldn't market the psp2 on its hardware alone, but rather, market it on the games that will get released on it. A game system is only as good as the games it has on it. I have both a DS and borrowed my buddy's PSP for a few months, and I hardly ever touched the PSP, due to it mostly having watered-down PS2 ports, and just not enough fun games. Hopefully Sony will be able to make some great games for the PSP2, since it looks like it has a ton of potential.

EDIT: Wow... a lot of butthurt on this thread.

16. Gman 101

Member Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    The article does seem a "little" biased *COUGH*. To say that it doesn't bring anything new isn't necessarily a drawback. For the 3DS, the addition of no-glasses 3D is just bait for the sheeple and uneducated masses. Soon it blows over since it isn't that great. The revolutionary thing about the PSP2 is two joysticks. That really changes everything. Whereas the 3DS' main improvement over the DS is a joystick. Both have much larger processing power than previous generations, although the PSP2 is truly impressive.

And then saying AAA titles never sell. That's like saying the CoD series won't help console sales. It sure does. I'm pretty sure if piracy isn't rampant on the PSP2, games like GTA would help sell the console like hotcakes. Granted, this wasn't the case on the DS, and people are still confused as to why.

Finally to address the statement that "big-screen titles are big screen for a reason". That argument is quite disillusional, and somewhat strawman. People would kill to have full console games on the go, otherwise what are portable gaming laptops for? Or GTA on PSP. This guy just sounds like a typical pro-casual gamer Nintendo fanboy.

Nevertheless, I'm supportive of both the PSP2 and the 3DS, just that the prospect of full console games on the PSP2 with two joysticks really makes me excited. The only thing that gets the 3DS going for me is Ocarina of Time... and that's about it.

17. _Chaz_

United States
    Some gimmicks are fun.
    The DS and the Wii wouldn't have been nearly as much fun if I wasn't tapping a screen or flailing my arms. It's just FUN.
    Big screens are just another reason for developers to not try as hard as they would have to on a small screen.

Graphics have almost nothing to do with the fun. My proof? Zork.

18. Maedhros

Brazil
    That's really subjective... I don't like waving my arms most of the time on the wii, but that's me (when the game have support for GC/Classic Controller, you can bet I'll use that).
    The DS brought some interesting uses of the touchscreen... but most of the time, games would use the touch to access menus and maps... not that was a bad thing... but that's a example of bad use of an interesting feature. It only depends on how the hell the companies will use the features on the NGP (we already saw a really interesting tech demo using the back touchpad).
    The hell big screens have to do with developers no trying... that makes no sense.

19. _Chaz_

United States
    Subjective or not, enough people found it fun to make them the best selling consoles of their generations.

It makes plenty of sense. Do I want to attract you with effort, or do I want to impress you with the number of polygons you can see at once?

20. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    Sure it does that, but it doesn't bring anything to the table. Not many are interested in the 3D. What drew people in were the graphics it was showing and capable of doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.