Retro Games and Consoles!

First gaming experience on a retro console?

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pong, Christmas 1975. It wasn't a retro console then, it had just been released. My cousin got it for Christmas and my uncle brought it, and a 19" TV, to our house for the big family Christmas day get together. I was 8 and he was 7. We played on it for hours and I neglected basically everything I got for Christmas that year, which displeased my parents quite a bit. That little TV was ruined by burn-in before they even left that day. I didn't get a game system until I guess three years later, one of the 2600 six-switch models. Wish I still had it.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When did you first play a retro game or console for the first time?

Mine was the original Super Mario Bros arcade machine when I was a little kid on holiday. I pumped loads of money into that thing over that summer, mind was blown when I discovered the warps!
Playing Super Mario All-Stars on SNES.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It’s hard to tell because, at the time, my consoles weren’t “retro”. :P Obviously I grew up with a NES (or in my case a Famiclone, since Nintendo didn’t have a presence in my country until the N64) and a Game Boy Color, but I wouldn’t consider that to be a “retro” experience since that’s what was contemporary to me.

I think the first time I went out of my way to purchase a retro machine and play something from the past was the time when I bought a second-hand Dreamcast, which at that point was discontinued, if only by a couple years (it must’ve been the mid-2000’s since I’ve already owned a GameCube for a while). Funny story, one time at a PC enthusiast meet I saw someone selling a copy of Sonic Adventure and I knew that I just had to own it. It’s Sonic, I don’t have it yet, I don’t need any other reason. I purchased it, foolishly hoping that my PC would be able to emulate the Dreamcast at least semi-decently. It could not, but it wasn’t a big deal - I had to own a copy anyway. Some time after that, during another PC meet, I saw someone selling a Dreamcast in decent condition. Eureka! Now I can play that video game I bought and couldn’t play on account of not even owning the console it was made for. :lol:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It’s hard to tell because, at the time, my consoles weren’t “retro”. :P Obviously I grew up with a NES (or in my case a Famiclone, since Nintendo didn’t have a presence in my country until the N64) and a Game Boy Color, but I wouldn’t consider that to be a “retro” experience since that’s what was contemporary to me.

I think the first time I went out of my way to purchase a retro machine and play something from the past was the time when I bought a second-hand Dreamcast, which at that point was discontinued, if only by a couple years (it must’ve been the mid-2000’s since I’ve already owned a GameCube for a while). Funny story, one time at a PC enthusiast meet I saw someone selling a copy of Sonic Adventure and I knew that I just had to own it. It’s Sonic, I don’t have it yet, I don’t need any other reason. I purchased it, foolishly hoping that my PC would be able to emulate the Dreamcast at least semi-decently. It could not, but it wasn’t a big deal - I had to own a copy anyway. Some time after that, during another PC meet, I saw someone selling a Dreamcast in decent condition. Eureka! Now I can play that video game I bought and couldn’t play on account of not even owning the console it was made for. :lol:
How big was the let down of finally playing Sonic adventure (presuming you had done the 8-16 bit era stuff before then of course)?

Pong, Christmas 1975. It wasn't a retro console then, it had just been released.
Personally I count mechanical games in arcades as retro.

Reactions: Hanafuda

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
How big was the let down of finally playing Sonic adventure (presuming you had done the 8-16 bit era stuff before then of course)?

It wasn’t a let-down at all, to be honest. I grew up on 1-3 and enjoyed them thoroughly, but I also really like the Adventure series - Adventure 2 Battle is one of my favourite games on the GameCube, and one of the reasons why I didn’t consider it a complete waste of money. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. It wasn’t as good as Adventure 2, but I did have fun playing it.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I remember a trip to Ocean City MD in 1972 (I think) and nights on the boardwalk ... pinball and electro-mechanical arcade machines as far as the eye could see LOL. Oh and Skee-ball of course. But I was just a little 5yo runt then.

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Generic black & white Multi Game Pong tv games from the late 70's/early 80's. It also had a light gun. I remember it was basically a white square that would fly across the screen for you to shoot. I must of been about 5 or 6.

NeoGranzon

シュウ 「グラビトロンカノン 発射!」
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You only had manuals?
That is unfortunate.
@FAST6191 i kept these manuals,i first have the SuperNintendo(Pal 1993),then i changed it with a SuperNes(USA 1994))until February 1996 and then in April 1996 i bought the Playstation SCPH-3000(japan version)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wait, you guys count arcades too? Well damn, I did skip primary school once to play at the arcade. In my defense, I *thought* we had a day off, but... as it turns out my buddy was lying so we could play games all day. Of all the machines there I distinctly remember Operation Wolf, or one of its many clones. Two UZIs, baby!

Reactions: Mama Looigi

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
When I had some change I used to go to the bowling alley which had a few arcade games, they mostly had racing games though. I was like 8 at that time.
But I think me playing NES for the first time predates that, as moms boyfriend at the time had a NES. I wasn't more than 5 or 6 at the time so I don't really remember any of it, but I do remember playing Super Mario Bros (not sure which one, I think 3?)

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wait, you guys count arcades too? Well damn, I did skip primary school once to play at the arcade. In my defense, I *thought* we had a day off, but... as it turns out my buddy was lying so we could play games all day. Of all the machines there I distinctly remember Operation Wolf, or one of its many clones. Two UZIs, baby!
I think Op Wolf only had one uzi so it was probably the sequel Op Thunderbolt.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have this image burned into my brain forever from playing the game so much..

hqdefault.jpg

Caleck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a foggy memory but I believe it was playing Rad Racer at my aunt's house back in like, 2006.

I don't think I had even developed the mental capacity to understand what a "video game" was, so I don't remember many details other than holding some funny plastic and watching a car move on the TV.

TomRiddle

Yare Yare Daze
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When did you first play a retro game or console for the first time?

Mine was the original Super Mario Bros arcade machine when I was a little kid on holiday. I pumped loads of money into that thing over that summer, mind was blown when I discovered the warps!
My first ever console was the Wii playing stuff like Mario Kart Wii and Galaxy, good times.

Played the OG Xbox at my cousins house (game was Sonic hero's) the year was 2010.

Other then that I played with the SNES as the oldest console to date that I've ever played on.

Played on other systems too (like N64/Gamecube once) and also with the PS3 at my (again) cousins house.

Last edited by TomRiddle,
Reactions: SaulFabre

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos: