Retro Games and Consoles!

First gaming experience on a retro console?

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I was gaming on 'retro' systems back when they were current - and also playing 'current' arcade machines as far back as the late 1970's.

In terms of a 'retro' system I didn't play until it was actually considered retro... the only one that springs to mind is the NeoGeo CD, which I didn't experience until almost two decades after its launch - everything else I experienced within a generation of its initial launch (although I've still never used actual PC-E/TG16 hardware or a real VirtualBoy).

Reactions: Flame

Titney

Trophies
XP
Country
It was either playing Battleship on one of these (Sinclar ZX81)

ge75am0.png

or Octopus on one of these (Nintendo Game&Watch)
ikMvbY6.jpg

And then NES, Gameboy and so on.

First one I got when it was already retro was probably the Wonderswan I got recently.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Y'know, for a good while I thought my first experience was when my grandparents bought me and my brother a SNES for Christmas the year it released in the US, Super Mario World. Really though that was just the experience that stuck in my memory most and cemented my love of gaming. I faintly recalled playing TMNT 2 (arcade) on NES at a friend's house prior to that, and when I recently played a copy I had bought for myself, the memories came flooding back full force. Must've been around 1990, maybe '91.

Last edited by Xzi,

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
This would have been around 2000 or 2001--when I was a toddler, my mom bought me a SEGA Genesis, since she had one in the 90s and had loved playing it and wanted to pass that experience onto me. It was the first time I'd ever played a video game, and I was about 3 or 4 so I didn't really get the concept besides just mashing buttons, but we played Sonic 2 together, and I got to control Tails. I'm really glad my first experiences with gaming were on a retro system.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Sega Master System, I think mine still works? I also got a brick gameboy years before Pokemon. My First Sega Master System game was Alex Kid In Miracle World, I also got Hang On with a double pack with a hunting game.

For the Gameboy of course it was Tetris.

Reactions: Xzi

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the n64 is 25 years old
Seeing that written down makes me feel old. It's a year younger than me, but was also my second console. My first was the SNES, and the very first game I ever played was Top Gear. The music in that game is legendary. I remember back when the Ouya was a thing, there was this indie game which had a song that sounded like it was ripped out of Top Gear. When I asked the dev about it, he said that he's a fan of the game, and that the similarity was "an accident" lol

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my earliest memory of gaming is star trek on either the atari or colecovision. I remember my dad claiming he got a high score or something and running to the bedroom, carrying a jar of candy. I ran into the closet, the jar shattered, and I still have the scar (had to have stitches). :D
How unfortunate

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The original Nintendo with super Mario bros back when i was about 6ish, either that or I also had a fat clear DMG gameboy with a ren and stimpy game. not sure on which was actually first, those are my earliest gaming memories.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos: