First "flash cart"

bluebowser31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When or what was the first publicly available device that you could put roms on, and plug into that game system?
does it go all the way back to nes?!?!!? (doubt it, but idk)

Sanoblue

The Fuzzy Blue Woof!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i knew of them back with the original gameboy.... but donno about the first. my first one was a r4. but my first wanna be flash cart was a gba cart

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
sanoblue said:
i knew of them back with the original gameboy.... but donno about the first. my first one was a r4. but my first wanna be flash cart was a gba cart
I see you didn't read the OP. What he was asking was: what was the first thing ever produced on which you could put downloaded games?

Ontopic: I really have no idea, but I suppose it was something for the first console ever created
tongue.gif

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PCJr.jpg

Not quite a Commodore, but it was the best retro pic I could find. :/

I'd show a punch card but those were clearly not for games..

I totally "downloaded" Oregon Trail from my school when I was in 3rd grade though. To a 5 1/4" floppy. I think.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No idea the name but a friend of mine had this SNES one from overseas that was in Chinese I believe and it used standard 3 1/4" floppies and you'd need to load games straight off it or larger loaded into the things memory. It plugged into the snes slot on top of the system standard with no tweaks working in any region NTSC system.

For me, an old GB/C era 'Bung' 32M copier with the old lpt printer cable type connect.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
The first copier I ever saw was the original 8mbit Magicom for the SNES. I'm pretty sure though that there was a device for the Famicom as well that used the Famicom Disk System to back the stuff on to before the Magicom.

There are devices for the older consoles like the 2600, Colecovision, Intellivision etc. but I'm pretty sure they came after the NES/SNES/MegaDrive copiers.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As exangel said, the first flashcart was a floppy disk. As for the first cart cart, I would guess that it was for the SNES, or that generation of system. The NES had a very complicated cartridge scheme (each game used one of a large number of memory mapper chips, each of which has to be emulated for an NES flashcart to run the games that use that mapper), so any NES flashcart based on the technology available at the time would have been extremely limited at best.

bRKcRE

Trophies
XP
Country
Destructobot said:
As exangel said, the first flashcart was a floppy disk. As for the first cart cart, I would guess that it was for the SNES, or that generation of system. The NES had a very complicated cartridge scheme (each game used one of a large number of memory mapper chips, each of which has to be emulated for an NES flashcart to run the games that use that mapper), so any NES flashcart based on the technology available at the time would have been extremely limited at best.

Cassette tapes were widely used in early pcs, and probably widely copied before floppies came around..

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've used copied games since the middle 80's.
In the beginning, my computer used cassette tapes, so all I had to do was copying tape to tape from an original ( or from a copy , but it had to be an extremely good copy otherwise the sound loss would give a typica " R Tape Loading Error " ) or get copies from third parties.
When I started to use an MSX2+ in the late 80's, games came on floppy disks or cartridges, but the letter was really hard to find in Europe.
Some games would only work with the cartridge because of special chips on it ( like custom sound chip ) so Japanese dumpers found a way to dump the game on the disk, but in order to make it work an original cartridge by the same maker would have to be inserted " hot " in the computer while the game was booting from the disk........
An example of that was Nemesis 2 ( Gradius 2 ). It was by Konami, and had the custom sound chip.
Another game was King's Valley 2, also by Konami. If you could get your hands on either one, you could use the cartridge to play other Konami games off the disks.
When the PSX came out, we had to put a modchip in it and games would be played off burned CDs.
After that I never was aware of flashcards during GB - GB Color era, but after I got a GBA I found out about the Flash2Advance 256M cart with USB linker.
Once I started with that, I discovered all the other flashcards ( thanks to the Internet ).

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
The first copier I ever saw was the original 8mbit Magicom for the SNES. I'm pretty sure though that there was a device for the Famicom as well that used the Famicom Disk System to back the stuff on to before the Magicom.

There are devices for the older consoles like the 2600, Colecovision, Intellivision etc. but I'm pretty sure they came after the NES/SNES/MegaDrive copiers.

Dude that's it, I couldn't remember the name but that's what my friend had I mentioned a Magicom. I couldn't do any of those chipped games like Starfox and the rest, but the standard stuff ran fine once picked up off the floppy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: