Homebrew first ds need advice

fostina1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
got my first ds on black friday for $89. i assume its a normal fat ds. i have previously had gba with what i believe was a m3 card, that was several years ago. i still have the card if it will work with the ds. and that is my question, what do i need to do to emulate gba and ds games. ive been looking over this site for a while and cant find a "for Beginners" guide.

thanks for any help.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You have three choices for carts that have proper support/updates.
[*]The original R4.
NOT "R4-III Upgrade", NOT "R4-SDHC", NOT "R4i", NOT "R4 Gold", NOT "R4 Red", NOT "R4 King"...
NOT ANYTHING ELSE WITH "R4" IN THE NAME! JUST "R4 Revolution".
  • Price: $6 from shoptemp.com
  • Rank: The cheap card for somebody that just wants to play some games on a DS/Lite.
[*]Acekard 2i
  • Price: $16 from shoptemp.com
  • Rank: Mid-range card for people that want to play lots of games on a DSi/XL with some extra features.
[*]Supercard DSTwo
cardchart.gif

• DS / DS Lite
    The card will work on an original (fat) DS or a DS Lite.
  • DSi / DSi XL
    The card will work on a DSi or DSi XL as well.
  • Game Updates
    Firmware updates are what let cards play newer games, these are the life-blood of the card.
  • SDHC
    SDHC refers to SD cards larger than 2GB (gigabytes). If there's no SDHC support, you can only use SD cards up to 2GB.
  • WiFi Update
    The Acekard 2i can update it's cheats (and get minor bug fixes) over WiFi without having to connect to a computer.
  • AP Bypass
    The DSTwo has special features to ignore AP in most games, letting you play them without having to wait for a firmware update first.
  • RTS
    The Real-Time Save (Save State) function lets you save and reload your game progress at any moment you wish.
  • In-Game Guide
    You can pull up text files and images in-game, in order to check a walkthrough or map you downloaded at any time during a game.
  • Slow Motion
    The card lets you slow down the game speed as you wish.
  • In-Game Cheats
    The card lets you create and modify cheats while the game is running.
  • Special Homebrew
    The card has multiple pieces of special homebrew, such as it's own GBA and SNES emulators, as well as text/PDF reader and video player.
  • Battery Life
    Unfortunately the DSTwo's extra CPU and RAM (which give it the special features) eat into the battery life a bit.

If you don't like referral links, the non-ref versions are here.
R4
Acekard 2i
Supercard DSTwo

fostina1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for your help. what is the preumium update +flashing service mean. is it a free flash to the wood firmware?

for the cheap $6 card.

fostina1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sweet. from looking at the r4 beginners guide it seems to play nds natively. would it need an emulator for gba? i think that was my last question, you have been a great help.

Wolvenreign

Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
You have three choices for carts that have proper support/updates.[*]The original R4.
NOT "R4-III Upgrade", NOT "R4-SDHC", NOT "R4i", NOT "R4 Gold", NOT "R4 Red", NOT "R4 King"...
NOT ANYTHING ELSE WITH "R4" IN THE NAME! JUST "R4 Revolution".
  • Price: $6 from shoptemp.com
  • Rank: The cheap card for somebody that just wants to play some games on a DS/Lite.
[*]Acekard 2i
  • Price: $16 from shoptemp.com
  • Rank: Mid-range card for people that want to play lots of games on a DSi/XL with some extra features.
[*]Supercard DSTwo
cardchart.gif
  • DS / DS Lite
    The card will work on an original (fat) DS or a DS Lite.
  • DSi / DSi XL
    The card will work on a DSi or DSi XL as well.
  • Game Updates
    Firmware updates are what let cards play newer games, these are the life-blood of the card.
  • SDHC
    SDHC refers to SD cards larger than 2GB (gigabytes). If there's no SDHC support, you can only use SD cards up to 2GB.
  • WiFi Update
    The Acekard 2i can update it's cheats (and get minor bug fixes) over WiFi without having to connect to a computer.
  • AP Bypass
    The DSTwo has special features to ignore AP in most games, letting you play them without having to wait for a firmware update first.
  • RTS
    The Real-Time Save (Save State) function lets you save and reload your game progress at any moment you wish.
  • In-Game Guide
    You can pull up text files and images in-game, in order to check a walkthrough or map you downloaded at any time during a game.
  • Slow Motion
    The card lets you slow down the game speed as you wish.
  • In-Game Cheats
    The card lets you create and modify cheats while the game is running.
  • Special Homebrew
    The card has multiple pieces of special homebrew, such as it's own GBA and SNES emulators, as well as text/PDF reader and video player.
  • Battery Life
    Unfortunately the DSTwo's extra CPU and RAM (which give it the special features) eat into the battery life a bit.
If you don't like referral links, the non-ref versions are here.
R4
Acekard 2i
Supercard DSTwo

Aaaaaand let me just go ahead and defend Rydian's omission of the CycloDS Evolution before anyone goes after him for it. (I am a current CycloDS Evolution user.)

CycloDS Evolution is currently pricier AND has fewer features than the SCTWO.

So I back his chart here. Although it could have used a "plays GBA games" column as well.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Nobody's gone after me for not putting the cyclo there because it's about what you get for the money, and the cyclo would not look good on that chart.

All three carts can play GBA games with a slot-2 cart, and while the DSTwo can emulate GBA games it can also emulate SNES and has extra features, so I put a general column with an explanation of it down below.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
AKAIO's Anti-Anti-Piracy (AAP) is NOT the same thing as the DSTwo's "clean mode".

DSTwo has Clean Mode. This enables new games at the cost of soft-reset and cheats and in-game menus.
AKAIO has AAP. This is just a new type of AP fixing, it will NOT work on all games, it's currently a little buggy, and it still allows soft-reset and cheats.

Normmatt said:
Its an attempt at software emulating reads below 8000h which is used to detect flashcarts.
[...]
It will solve the standard read below 8000h checks that are coming out recently
The AP it bypasses is the new "generic AP we'll stick on games" that Nintendo came up with, that's why it's working on new titles. It's not something that can be done on "weaker" carts, it was mentioned the R4 is not capable of it properly, that's why Wood doesn't have that option and is patching the individual games as they come out.

The DSTwo's Clean Mode makes more games play because it's an all-around method, whereas AKAIO's AAP is focused on one specific type of AP, however it's focus is the AP that new games RIGHT NOW are coming out with, which is why it's playing the same new games as the DSTwo.

It can currently break single-cart download-play, that's why it's optional (so you can turn it off in order to use that feature), future AKAIO versions will not have the AAP option on the screen once it's fixed up properly.

Clean Mode (DSTwo) and AAP (AKAIO/Acekard) are not like Coke and Pepsi. They're like Coke and Iced Tea. They are not the same thing. I'm not saying "they're not the same" for some stupid pedantic political shit, I'm saying they're not the same thing because they're really not the same thing, outside of the fact that both are meant to allow new games to run.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
fostina1 said:
could i buy this from anywhere else?
Buy what?

And 'else' where? Like a retail store? No.
Apparently you can get them at some 'Mom and Pop' shops (I've never seen one), or flea markets/swap meets, but I wouldn't unless you can identify a clone on sight. Otherwise you're better off buying from a reputable place like GameKool.com or Lightake.com.

fostina1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
fostina1 said:
could i buy this from anywhere else?
Buy what?

And 'else' where? Like a retail store? No.
Apparently you can get them at some 'Mom and Pop' shops (I've never seen one), or flea markets/swap meets, but I wouldn't unless you can identify a clone on sight. Otherwise you're better off buying from a reputable place like GameKool.com or Lightake.com.

thanks thats what i meant a website to get the r4 from since shop temp isnt selling them right now. i got 2 before they stopped selling them would like 5 or 6 more.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there...