Hacking Firmware advice (R4i Gold [r4ids.com]?)

Red-Blue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dear lord, all these different firmwares are truly maddening. So, I got my hands on an R4i. Looked up which version etc, turns out it's an R4 Clone. I believe it's an R4i Gold... clone-thing? I've spent the last few weeks stubbornly trying to figure it out on my own, but I just can't seem to get a decent(/recent) working firmware on the thing.

Was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction? Although a detailed 'guide' of sorts would be awesome.

Thanks in advance. (:

[Edit] I might have to add that I also would like to play Pokémon Black or White. Is that possible, youthinks?

[Edit 2] I would like to add that there is NO Version 2 on my DS' flashcart label. It's Version 1, I suppose.

[Edit 3] Silly me, it just says R4I DS V1 on the backside of the cart. Derp.

Red-Blue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
MaxNuker said:
you could try Wood R4 or YSMenu by RetroGameFan

I thought about that but I can't seem to get a decent Wood working. Last one I tried had glitches [missing theme, floating buttons, no settings menu] and most importantly - it wouldn't load games.

YSMenu is worth a shot, which version would I be looking for?

A Gay Little Catboy said:
What is the website printed on the sticker on the front of the card?

QUOTE(MaxNuker @ Apr 10 2011, 09:41 PM)
anyways, you could tell us the website printed on the card?

I wrote it in the thread title - r4ids.com

MaxNuker

GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
you could use AKAIO 1.8.1 and YSMenu for that card, AKAIO is kinda good.. i dont know about the 1.8.1 version but i think it can run most games! YSMenu is constantly updated by RetroGameFan and is always up to date in game compability

i think you are lucky! you got a r4 clone that is a clone of AceKard/DSTT (AFAIK)

Red-Blue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
MaxNuker said:
i think the last one is V6.57, you can find it on the forums,i'll look for the link

anyways, you could tell us the website printed on the card?

edit: here it is: http://gbatemp.net/t267243-retrogamefan-updates-releases

"For DSTT/i, R4/i SDHC, DSONE/i, R4SDHC v1.34, M3 Real/M3iZero and R4 Clones known to use YSMenu/DSTT Firmware."

So I can assume the R4i Gold clone uses the YSMenu/DSTT Firmware?

CannonFoddr said:
If neither of them work then I guess you could look at either the official site for that card for an update or here

Although that particular web address - it seems it hasn't been updated for ~4months

The official firmware from the link is outdated. I wasn't very happy with it so I'm looking for alternatives.

A Gay Little Catboy said:
It doesn't run Wood, but it run AKAIO 1.8.1
http://r4ids.com/r4i-download-e.html
As well you can download the YSmenu that works on that card from that link and just use Retro's files to keep it up to date

Thanks, I will give these a try.

QUOTE(MaxNuker @ Apr 10 2011, 09:45 PM) you could use AKAIO 1.8.1 and YSMenu for that card, AKAIO is kinda good.. i dont know about the 1.8.1 version but i think it can run most games! YSMenu is constantly updated by RetroGameFan and is always up to date in game compability

i think you are lucky! you got a r4 clone that is a clone of AceKard/DSTT (AFAIK)

Ah okay, thanks. I'll be using the RetroGameFan builds then for now. P:

QUOTE(Rydian @ Apr 10 2011, 09:48 PM)
AKAIO 1.8.1 had a one-time build for some other carts. It will NOT be getting updates as far as we know.

Doesn't sound appealing, but I'll try it nonetheless. Thanks anyways.

Thanks for the fast replies, guys. Appreciate it.

MaxNuker

GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
np, Tempers must help Tempers.

anyways, most cards run YSMenu, and it has a great compability with games!
if any game is having trouble running ( for example the Pokemon White / Pokemon Black ) you might need to patch them with OpenPatch by RetroGameFan...

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded the YSmenu and AKAIO for r4i Gold from the official site (r4ids.com) to see if I could help.

Well I looked into the YSmenu files first and I think it's an acekard clone because I see some 'ak stuff' like akloader.nds, ak2loader.nds, and ak2_sd.dldi in the YSmenu folder.
unsure.gif

If you want to update your YSmenu, you only have to download RetroGameFan's most recent YSmenu and replace the extinfo.dat, infolib.dat, and savlib.dat in the r4i Gold one to Retro's one. Updating usrcheats.dat is optional.

I'm not sure but maybe you can update your AKAIO to the latest one by replacing the _aio folder and akloader.nds to the latest AKAIO ones. Or maybe Normatt might have blocked it.... maybe.

Can't test because I don't have that cart; Can somebody test it?
unsure.gif

Red-Blue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey guys, I just tried the R4 Ultra firmware. The word 'Loading...' pops up, followed by a white screen.

Also, I can't get the YSMenu for R4 Clones to work. This is a dual-boot option, right? Cause I can't even get a main boot going. ):

s4mid4re said:
I downloaded the YSmenu and AKAIO for r4i Gold from the official site (r4ids.com) to see if I could help.

Sadly, these are for the Version 2.0 flashcart. ):

Anyone else got some ideas? I'm gonna try AKAIO 1.8.1 now. Didn't work either. White screen.

FFFUUUU. ))):

[Edit] This is the one I have.

http://www.r4-ds-dsi.nl/52-133-thickbox/r4...memory-card.jpg

Red-Blue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Update. I got WoodR4 running, thank god. Anyone else got the latesy files for it? Cause I still can't play Pokémon or Kirby Squeek Squad ):

So close to the end. :D

[Edit] No one? ):

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye