FireFox 5.0 Final released

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know if it's just FF4, but its tolerance for flash sites became exceptionally bad. Playing a single youtube video was enough to cause a memory leak, or just slow down the browser really badly. With barely any plug ins being run, it's odd that flash hurts FF that much.

Maybe five fixes it. I don't really know. I'm not gonna bother with it at this point for a few reasons, but hopefully they fixed some stuff.

However that person got to 1.5GB memory usage....wut? When my FF memory leaked REALLY badly, it still only hit a max of 500,000KB.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Apparently I'm already running version 6, but that is of course because I'm using Aurora (Unstable Version)

Hah, and guess what...as usual all my Plugins still work just fine, without any need to modify the xpi files.

If you want to have some real fun, install Minefield, Firefox's most unstable branch of all (What will become Firefox 7). Everything is bound to break, but there are huge benefits (For you Linux users for example, no freaking Xulrunner!)

It's icon is quite appropriate if you've seen it before.

By the way, I have a few classmates who said that redirect isn't working anymore in FF5. Like when you type GMail in FF4 it takes you to gmails exact site, but when you type it in FF5 it complains that it cant find the page.

I've been running Aurora for quite awhile now, and furthermore it has always worked up to the Final Release date when it was FF5, and it continues to work on FF6 (Aurora)

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nimbus said:
Apparently I'm already running version 6, but that is of course because I'm using Aurora (Beta/Unstable/Nightly Version)

If you want to have some real fun, install Minefield, Firefox's most unstable branch of all (What will become Firefox 7).

It's icon is quite appropriate if you've seen it before.

Pffft, who needs this so called false sense of stability anyway, Aurora still works with all the plugins I need it to thanks to that tip someone posted earlier.
same with 7.0a (nightly build); I've never had any stability problems so far.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
2elcb5x.png

8 tabs open, 3 of them with fully buffered youtube videos, one playing. Not much over 500meg usage.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get the memory leakage problems. It must be very system dependant.

As a test I decided to try and kill my system primarily with flash player as that seems to be the problem.

Setup:
PC:
IBM T42 laptop - 1GB ram. (stop laughing it works fine)
Windows 7 (SP1) - (yes it works fine with the piece of shit mentioned above, with full Aero so go and do one)

Firefox

Ver 5.0
Addons:
Adblock Plus 1.3.8
Greasemonkey 0.9.5
Greasemonkey Scripts:
Download youtube videos as MP4 v1.2
Super iGoogle 2.1.1
youtube to MP3 1.2

Test
6 - Open firefox windows
1 - Gbatemp - browsing
1 - Gbatemp - embedded youtube video playing.
2 - Youtube - videos playing
2 - iplayer videos playing

result
Memory usage fluctuating between 200,000K - 230,000K
system starting to get a little sluggish (understandably at 100% CPU usage and stop laughing at my laptops specs)

What must people be doing to get FF to chew memory??
clipboard01zx.png

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have the memory leak with Flash.
I'm on WinXP Pro SP2 (with any Firefox version).

Memory usage is increasing by itself if there's a Flash banner animation looping (advertisement, forum signature, website menu, etc.)

I always have 3 Firefox windows, with more than 10 tabs in each (using tab candy or not doesn't change it), and often 40 to 60 total tabs opened. (thank god I have session manager
tongue.gif
)
I'm keeping it open for days and restart Firefox only when it goes past 1.5GB of RAM. (because I only have 2GB of free memory).

The problem is not really the Flash, but the fact that Firefox (or windows XP ?) is not freeing the used RAM when closing the tabs.
Memory usage is cumulating with time, I can close all tabs except 1 Firefox window with 1 empty tab and still taking up to 800MBor RAM :/
note that it's not the Flash plugin-container which takes a lot of memory, but really Firefox.exe

If Firefox could have 1 process per Tab like GoogleChrome, I could kill/close the memory hungry tabs with task Manager.
(or directly from an included menu, or addon whithin Firefox. Is there one which list memory usage per tabs?)

I found that add-on "Auto Pager" is memory consuming, I won few days before requiring a Firefox restart by disabling auto-pager.
But it doesn't fix the problem.
Maybe other add-ons are memory leaking too, I have maybe too many enabled.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: