Hacking Finding the 3DS Common Key

Rapper_skull

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi guys! I have an idea: why don't we create a 3DS common key bruteforcer as we did with the DSi one?
I think it's not hard, it just need many luck to find it in millions of possible tries.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys! I have an idea: why don't we create a 3DS common key bruteforcer as we did with the DSi one?
I think it's not hard, it just need many luck to find it in millions of possible tries.
millions...
pfft as if it would be that easy.
You could use all the computers in the world and still have a hard time finding it.

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anything more even need to be said?

Yes.

lol-guy.jpg

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There was an effort to brute force the DSi common key with a networked brute forcer before, I don't think it went over very well though.

Even though it would probably take millions of computers to run the program for millions of years to find the 3DS common key, I'd still like to try running it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The thing with Bruteforce methods is that you never know how long it will take to find the key - it can take hundreds of years, it can take two minutes - everything depends on the algorithm used. That said, there really isn't all that much you could *do* with said Common Key if we don't know how the encryption even works.

LAA

Trophies
XP
Country
There is one thing about these things though...
Even though there may be millions of combinations, whos to say it wont be the 1/2/3 key you generate? It doesnt mean you have to go through 1-last generations to get the key, but if I was nintendo, I'd probably purposely make the key around the half-way mark so it'd be harder.
I always wondered about having computers generate the keys in different ways. Like you could have a group of computers generating keys from beginning to middle, then another group of computers from middle to end, you could even split it further.

At the end of the day however, I'm not really an expert on this stuff.

jrk190

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there such a thing as a 3DS common key in the first place ?? I thought each 3DS has it's own key.

Pip'
I'm pretty sure this is the case. It's why we need the encryption keys, which are specific to each device, I think. Also, this is also why saves can't be transferred, etc. People refuse to understand the fact that we need the encryption keys. By what I've gathered, Nintendo did away with common keys around the DSi cartridge era due to the fact that people could hack into dsi-mode. I think Neimod displayed this at one point.

ichichfly

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Is there such a thing as a 3DS common key in the first place ?? I thought each 3DS has it's own key.

Pip'
I'm pretty sure this is the case. It's why we need the encryption keys, which are specific to each device, I think. Also, this is also why saves can't be transferred, etc. People refuse to understand the fact that we need the encryption keys. By what I've gathered, Nintendo did away with common keys around the DSi cartridge era due to the fact that people could hack into dsi-mode. I think Neimod displayed this at one point.

There are more keys. Some are different on every 3DS some are not.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
didnt nintendo just patch the header that was used on the DSi exploit for the IEvolution?
but the headers had to be region specific?
The iEvo exploit was not based on the header. As far as I know, it was an exploit in the Wi-Fi subsystem.
No, I believe it was a buffer overflow exploit in Cooking Coach or Classic Word Games (can't remember which of WinterMute's exploits iEvo ripped off)

sentinel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a better idea, why dont some of you impatient kids go to nintendo of america, wait till reggie comes out of work and BRUTEFORCE the keys out of him? :D Anyways, be patient or just buy then damn games, play them, beat them, then sell them for 5 bucks less, just remember NEVER to take anything to trade in at gamestop or ull get screwed hard.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Here's my copy-paste from the DSi stuff.

I present to you: "DSi Encryption Put In Perspective", also known as "I Love Crushing People's Dreams".

The DSi uses 128-bit encryption (IIRC).
How do you break it? You find the correct encryption key.

How many encryption keys are there? 2 (binary, a bit) to the 128th power (number of bits), divided by 8 (8 bits in a byte).
That's so many that the calculator that comes with windows (at least XP) can't even display the number without reverting to scientific notation.

128-bits is...
340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 possible values in binary.
However, Since there's 8 bits in a byte, you divide 128 by 8 and get 16. That's 16 bytes, 16 characters.
That's 18,446,744,073,709,552,000 possible values, ranging from 0x0000000000000000 to 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. Eighteen quintillion possible keys.
The actual number is a bit less less since a key will be a certain number of digits and be designed to not have repeating segments, but this puts it in perspective.

Let's say that you have a computer program which can try 50,000 unique keys a second.
That's 3,000,000 keys a minute.
180,000,000 keys in an hour.
4,320,000,000 keys a day.
1,576,800,000,000 keys in one year.

It would take 11,698,848 years to try all the keys at that speed.

So wait, how do they break other systems? If you can get a direct copy of the encrypted data and compare it to a copy of the unencrypted data (as well as view the data as it's transmitted around the DSi's internals), that goes a long way towards figuring out the key without having to try all possible combinations. You'll be able to find the key without all the guessing! The problem is you'd need to take a DSi apart and fuck with it's insides while it's on to try to get a copy of the data while it's unencrypted (since the DSi will unencrypt what it needs on the fly in order to use it), and usually when you're done with that the DSi's pretty broken and in no shape to game, or even to be experimented on a second time...
3869187499_da1665050d.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/micahdowty/sets/72157621023570420/

This process can be hampered by the internal design of the system, so you may need to take apart many systems before you even figure out how to read some of the data, let alone get a full copy of it, and last I checked DSi's don't cost $5...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and idk if something will happen to my ps3 if i connect it to wifi with hen activated
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember when the Atari 2600 was new and exciting lol
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient