Hacking Finally time for me to update, got some questions

Wackymarv

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, hoping I can get some answers and possibly avoid bricking my Wii and make this as seemless as possible.

My Wii is one of the first that came to stores, so its an old one. im currently running 3.4U with homebrew channel and neogamma6 or 7 I believe for backups.

My only concern/question is that up until now ive held off the big system update and only updated individual IOS's to play new game backups (IE: 002fix/newer launchers etc, I call it the frankenwii) and now its finally come time for me to give myself USB loader support and all the goodies that come with 4.0/4.1... but how would I go about doing it if im unsure what IOS's ive put on my system, will it all integrate properly anyway if I follow one of the guides around here?

Maybe someone could point out which one is the best for my situation? or any questions about my setup before recomendations?

Thanks!

bdr9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can probably just run Waninkoko's 4.1 updater and then install cIOS60BF.wad. BTW, you can use a USB loader on 3.4. What you can't do is use the SD Card Menu.

Wackymarv

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thanks for the quick reply, if no one else responds to this i'll just try that out, seems more simple than anticipated *crosses fingers*

technosexual

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if its an old wii, see if you can install bootmii as boot2. if you can, do so, and make a nand backup

use dop-ios to install ios60 and 61, apply the sig patch

use NUSD to grab 4.1u(youre in canada right?), select pack to wad, install that wad via wad manager

do those in that order, and youre now on 4.1

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bdr's method won't work, and techno's method will but will do the bare minimum to update.

I'm assuming you already have some cIOS installed since you use NeoGamma, but first things first, run the latest hackmii installer and install the new HBC and bootmii to boot2. Then use bootmii to make a NAND backup of your system.

Then update your cIOS to cIOS rev14 by just running the rev14 installer and choosing IOS249 at the first prompt as you will need at least rev9 to use USB loaders.

Then you can either do an official update or do Waninkoko's 4.0 updater and then Waninkoko's 4.1 updater. You can't do 4.1 directly because it will give you an error if you don't have IOS60 installed beforehand.

Then use dop-IOSv7 and install the most recent IOS60 with the sig hash check.

Read through my guide to learn how to use all of those applications and what exactly they do and why.

jazvdb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have anything other than the homebrew channel?
or did something 'big' to ur wii?

cause if you don't, you could just official update it...
That's what i did....

But if you wanna be EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS, then try using Waninkoko's 4.1 updater

Wackymarv

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nabster92 said:
bdr's method won't work, and techno's method will but will do the bare minimum to update.

I'm assuming you already have some cIOS installed since you use NeoGamma, but first things first, run the latest hackmii installer and install the new HBC and bootmii to boot2. Then use bootmii to make a NAND backup of your system.

Then update your cIOS to cIOS rev14 by just running the rev14 installer and choosing IOS249 at the first prompt as you will need at least rev9 to use USB loaders.

Then you can either do an official update or do Waninkoko's 4.0 updater and then Waninkoko's 4.1 updater. You can't do 4.1 directly because it will give you an error if you don't have IOS60 installed beforehand.

Read through my guide to learn how to use all of those applications and what exactly they do and why.

Hey tried out this method worked like a charm, im up to 4.1U now, SD support, USB load works, internet channel updated, HBC didnt disapear or anything else I had on there either, thanks again

EDIT: On top of this I got a GH5 backup to work nicely, took a while but I got some peace of mind now. thanks 2 more times

Dvs-One

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am also on 3.4U. What are the advantages of upgrading to 4.1? Would it solve some of these 002 errors and green screens I have been getting lately? Thanks in advance.

jazvdb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dvs-One said:
I am also on 3.4U. What are the advantages of upgrading to 4.1? Would it solve some of these 002 errors and green screens I have been getting lately? Thanks in advance.

You could play more of the newer games so yeah mayb it'll play more of ur 002 errors and green screens...
and the all new fancy sd card menu....

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dvs-One said:

SD card menu, up to date system menu, losing nothing you can do on 3.4, getting some bug fixes.

002 errors and such are due to using old backup loaders/cIOS revisions. Use cIOS rev14 and NeoGamma R7.

Dvs-One

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
Dvs-One said:

SD card menu, up to date system menu, losing nothing you can do on 3.4, getting some bug fixes.

002 errors and such are due to using old backup loaders/cIOS revisions. Use cIOS rev14 and NeoGamma R7.

Thanks for the info. I made my hacks at the beginning of the year and haven't kept up on what's new. I have been reduced to noob status. =)

georgecoat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wackymarv said:
nabster92 said:

Hey tried out this method worked like a charm, im up to 4.1U now, SD support, USB load works, internet channel updated, HBC didnt disapear or anything else I had on there either, thanks again

EDIT: On top of this I got a GH5 backup to work nicely, took a while but I got some peace of mind now. thanks 2 more times

Did you update online or used Wainin's updaters?
Did you use DOP-IOS to install IOS 60 as well as 61 with the sig hash check?
Did you used cIOS rev 14 and Hackmii v 0.3 and tested if it reads your NAND backup?

Wackymarv

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
georgecoat said:
Wackymarv said:
nabster92 said:

Did you update online or used Wainin's updaters?
Did you use DOP-IOS to install IOS 60 as well as 61 with the sig hash check?
Did you used cIOS rev 14 and Hackmii v 0.3 and tested if it reads your NAND backup?

I did exactly what nabster posted, the NAND backup was verified and not corrupted so i'd assume it would work, I havent had to reload it.

used wanin's updaters through the internet, everything in proper order and it all worked out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: see ya