Final Fantasy XIII-2 Announced!

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by supervenice, Jan 18, 2011.

Jan 18, 2011
  1. supervenice
    OP

Member supervenice GBAtemp Regular

United States
    [​IMG]

After years of build-up and waiting, Final Fantasy XIII was released to so-so reviews. The game was a disappointment. But, if at first you don't succeed, try again.

Regardless of fan bickering or indifference, the game was a monster hit for Square Enix, moving over six million copies.

The game's developer, Square Enix, is working on Final Fantasy XIII-2, a direct sequel to Final Fantasy XIII.

The number of Final Fantasy games can be confusing for non-fans. Each of the games do not follow sequential order, so when Square Enix wants to do a sequel to Final Fantasy XIII, the game does not end up being Final Fantasy XIV (which is a totally different, already released game), but Final Fantasy XIII-2.

There is a precedent for this as Square Enix released a sequel to Final Fantasy X in 2003 called Final Fantasy X-2. The sequel followed the exploits of Final Fantasy X heroine Yuna, and Final Fantasy XIII is expected to do the same.

Square Enix has only unveiled the game's logo, which showed Final Fantasy XIII heroine Lightning as well as a new, unnamed character. It is thought that this character is Lightning's rival.

Unlike Final Fantasy XIII, which caused controversy by originally only being slated for the PS3, Final Fantasy XIII-2 is penciled in for both the PS3 and the Xbox 360, right off the bat. The game won't have the wait that Final Fantasy XIII did. According to Square Enix, it will be released in 2011.

SOURCE : http://kotaku.com/5736409/final-fantasy-xi...h-a-second-game

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    :\

Man I hate the FF numbering system.

3. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    LolFF13.

4. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    Just named it XV, it would look so much prettier and the graphic/art options would look cooler.

5. GundamXXX

Member GundamXXX Ergo Ego

Australia
    This.

I hope the make a limited edition with all the names+timeline+jap vs us releases xD

But seriously, this looks pretty awesome, too bad that its (yet again) not on PC

6. Saturnplanet5

Member Saturnplanet5 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Six million copies is quite alot. Did anyone actually finish it? I'm getting a bit tired of the franchise after shelling out $109 dollars for the CE of FFXIV only to be faced with the most abysmal MMO I've ever encountered. Is FFXIV still free to play? I'll give this a miss I think. I've collected every FF since 7 (except XI haven't played that so I can't comment.) and I feel the franchise has been in a nose dive since X. It just seems to be a marketing ploy now to stick Final Fantasy into the title. [/rant]

7. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    That doesn't make any sense seeing as numbered ff games are never direct sequels.

8. Goli

Member Goli RPG

Chile
  9. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    I believe I speak for myself when I ask "Why!?".

10. jorpor

Newcomer jorpor Advanced Member

Netherlands
    YES, I've been hoping for a sequel since I finished XIII. I loved XIII. It was the first FF game I didn't get tired of after a few hours. I loved the battle system and the story was interesting enough. It wasn't FFX awesome, but FFXIII is still a great game. Can't wait for XIII-2!

11. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    I'm sort of excited. I thoroughly enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII, and I'm looking forward to XIII-2.

I like Lightning's new look as well.

[​IMG]

Famitsu will probably have something about the games later today.

12. 8BitWalugi

Australia
    You mean you went through 20 HOURS WORTH OF TUTORIAL AND DIDN'T GET BORED!?

13. jorpor

Netherlands
    It didn't feel like 20 hours of tutorial. I enjoyed every second... Except for the annoying summon battle things.

14. 8BitWalugi

Australia
    You walk down a corridor. That's about it for user input.

Oh right, and those battles.
    *smash A/X button over and over again*

15. Goli

Member Goli RPG

Chile
    Did you really play it? You also had to switch paradigms. Unless you wanted to be instakilled [​IMG].

16. jorpor

Netherlands
    Yes, and that's what I liked the most, how linear it was. I don't like wandering around the world, looking around for hours trying to figure out where to go. FFXIII played like a movie and went straight on with the story line, without too many distractions. FFX is still my favorite FF game, but XIII is my second favorite.

I still hope they won't screw up XIII-2 like they did with X-2. Oh, how much I hated that game...

17. Saturnplanet5

Member Saturnplanet5 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Give 'em a break. (The first FF Tactics. The one for the PSX was pretty damn good.)

18. 8BitWalugi

Australia
    Never played Tactics, I fail with strategy. I'll let that one slide. 7, on the other hand, I hate with infuriating rage.

19. Goli

Member Goli RPG

Chile
  20. Ryufushichou

Member Ryufushichou I'm Not British, I'm Just Gay!

Australia
    So what does this mean for Final Fantasy Versus XIII and Final Fantasy Type-0? Are they getting canned, or are they just getting pushed to the side while Square complete this one i wonder. i quite liked Final Fantasy XIII, sure the hallway was irritating, but it was still a half decent game so im kinda happy to see this, kinda.... [​IMG]