Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster Coming to Steam on May 12th

7439fdada96adcb2a7cc5001ff53085e.jpg
In a surprisingly stealthy move, Square Enix has decided to port the HD Remastered version of Final Fantasy X/X-2 to PC via Steam. The official release date is just a few days away, on May 12th.

The remaster showed up on consoles back on December 26th, 2013 and it seems PC gamers will finally get the chance to play the game in all its glory. This is just the latest in a series of Square Enix games being ported to PC. Could it be that someday PC gamers will have the entire backlog of Square Enix games at their disposal? Could they work out their licensing issues and port Kingdom Hearts over? Only time (and lots of hype) will tell.

:arrow: Source

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't care how many times X/X2 has be re-released, I haven't played it yet other than a few hours on an emulator. So yes, I'll pick it up on Steam when I can.
What this really gets me excited for is that Square is actually looking at PC as a serious platform for release. I think it's very clear that Final Fantasy XV will make it to PC eventually. It's almost guaranteeable. Probably later in the future, but certainly at some point. That gets me really excited for Square's future games, what with DragonQuest Heroes also making it to PC. It may be that DragonQuest 11 follows suit. DQ Heroes not only launched on PC, but it launched at the same time as the PS4 release! Unheard of for Square!

If Squeenix can work out their licensing issues, I would LOVE to see Kingdom Hearts on PC. Tbh, JRPGs are the only reason I may ever buy an Xbox One or PS4. I have a strong PC, but I love JRPGs like Persona 5 and most things from Square's library. Seeing things like the new Tales games coming on PC at the same time as consoles... It gets me excited that in the future, more and more JRPGs will make it to PC. If anything, I'd love to see Persona 5 on PC.

Reactions: Shadowfied

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't care how many times X/X2 has be re-released, I haven't played it yet other than a few hours on an emulator. So yes, I'll pick it up on Steam when I can.
What this really gets me excited for is that Square is actually looking at PC as a serious platform for release. I think it's very clear that Final Fantasy XV will make it to PC eventually. It's almost guaranteeable. Probably later in the future, but certainly at some point. That gets me really excited for Square's future games, what with DragonQuest Heroes also making it to PC. It may be that DragonQuest 11 follows suit. DQ Heroes not only launched on PC, but it launched at the same time as the PS4 release! Unheard of for Square!

If Squeenix can work out their licensing issues, I would LOVE to see Kingdom Hearts on PC. Tbh, JRPGs are the only reason I may ever buy an Xbox One or PS4. I have a strong PC, but I love JRPGs like Persona 5 and most things from Square's library. Seeing things like the new Tales games coming on PC at the same time as consoles... It gets me excited that in the future, more and more JRPGs will make it to PC. If anything, I'd love to see Persona 5 on PC.
I'll also be picking up.

I see your point about PC and I hope it happens, but they're still using PC as a dumping ground for recycling at this point, but hopefully they'll get their shit together and realize what an incredibly valuable source Steam is :)

Imparasite

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
yes too much hype :) 30fps is not problem to me as long theres no lags and stutter im fine :) hope kingdom hearts and star ocean come to PC also

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Probably I should start saving some money to build a gaming PC, specially now the GTX 1070 has been announced and is looking really good and cheap.
I am kind of annoyed that half of my (already bought) catalog on Steam is blocked on my iMac, and even worse I can't play new releases like this one.

Droyd

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh man, what a good news :rofl:, now I can play FFX on an ultrabook. Time has changed things !

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
I dont think ill have time to play it, i still havent finished playing the VITA port then i need to play the HD remake and then now the remaster. Oh my god what am i going to do with so little time and the most 2nd most overrated final fantasy game ever? Oh wait i know, not play it!

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I dont think ill have time to play it, i still havent finished playing the VITA port then i need to play the HD remake and then now the remaster. Oh my god what am i going to do with so little time and the most 2nd most overrated final fantasy game ever? Oh wait i know, not play it!
Overrated?
Well, I thought everybody considered them awful. Even the downfall of the series. But I guess it's just me.
Anyway, I got so bored and irritated with FFX back on the time on the PS2 that I never finished it. I was thinking this was a good time to give it another chance anyway.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Overrated?
Well, I thought everybody considered them awful. Even the downfall of the series. But I guess it's just me.
Anyway, I got so bored and irritated with FFX back on the time on the PS2 that I never finished it. I was thinking this was a good time to give it another chance anyway.

I have seen people put it in the top 3 final fantasy games numerous times but even if they dont, this game gets praised higher than other games in the series that are arguably much better. What about brining out final fantasy 8 with a HD remake? I think FF8 and maybe even FF9 could look fantastic with a graphics overaul and it wouldnt ruin the games if they just stuck to graphics.

But do they do the one that makes sense? No. They just add a couple of shaders to FFX coz its easy to touch up a game that already looked pretty good and re-release it like they think its the one people wanna play...

Reactions: VinsCool

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What will happen when Steam goes offline? Or can the games be played offline?
Games can be played offline.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have seen people put it in the top 3 final fantasy games numerous times but even if they dont, this game gets praised higher than other games in the series that are arguably much better. What about brining out final fantasy 8 with a HD remake? I think FF8 and maybe even FF9 could look fantastic with a graphics overaul and it wouldnt ruin the games if they just stuck to graphics.

But do they do the one that makes sense? No. They just add a couple of shaders to FFX coz its easy to touch up a game that already looked pretty good and re-release it like they think its the one people wanna play...
IMHO, FF8 is a little too much melodramatic. Nevertheless it is better than FFX for sure.
That said, at least they are making an FF7 remake, what can I say?
(I would always prefer a full remake of FF6, that is the one I like the most personally)

Reactions: VinsCool and Bimmel

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I see.

And even if Steam says goodbye, are the games still "safe" for the user?

Oh, and I never played beyond Final Fantasy 9, for the topic.
Well, they will boot from your computer for sure.
And most of them will probably work even if you copy them between computers (normally they don't use very restrictive DRM... normally)
But if you want to redownload them and Steam is dead, that would be a problem.

The nice thing about Steam is that you put start it into another PC with your account and your games are there.
Even you can buy games on Steam for PC/Windows, and you start Steam on Linux or a Mac and you have the Linux or Mac versions there. With your up to date saves (normally).
It is handy.

That and games are easy to get, download and manage, and they often go for very cheap.

PS: Also, it doesn't complain of you using the same account on multiple computers.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This and a bunch of other games were leaked about 8 or so months ago. The only thing we dont know is if they'll release FF12.

The only thing they need to change from this release is allow us to skip cutscenes.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Probably I should start saving some money to build a gaming PC, specially now the GTX 1070 has been announced and is looking really good and cheap.
I am kind of annoyed that half of my (already bought) catalog on Steam is blocked on my iMac, and even worse I can't play new releases like this one.
I feel your pain. I've got a powerhouse MBP that I want to push to the limit, but Steam is still lacking a lot. Though I am happy that games like Bioshock Infinite and Borderlands 2 got ported over. I've also read that Dark Souls III is also most likely coming to OS X which I'm excited for. One step at a time though, I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol