Hacking Final Fantasy Type-0 RomHacking

Kyonne

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
As for Type-0 Testing, we are still testing the 1st playthrough: coredecepts and adrian are doing an awesome job, with hundreds of pics that help the team correct mistakes and give the correct meaning to each sentence, given the context. Also Artistan is dealing with videos. IMHO, this project is starting to have that... "completed feeling".

Hyping intensifies

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Having played through the thing, I can say your interest is worth it, pal!

Great game.

That just makes me happy reading it, I felt like everyone forgot about due to its poor sales. Wish I had some ability to push a translation of it into being XD. Sadly all I'd be able to do is edit text and even that I'm not worth a darn at.

blackfire219

D-Wheeler Accel Duelist
Trophies
XP
Country
I want to ask Sky, will the merged iso size increase when the edited videos are patched in the iso?

EDIT: By the way Sky, do you have a tool that can convert .pmf to .avi videos?

SkyBladeCloud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I once made an UI for one of the tools available to convert PMF to AVI... But I don'r recomend using the AVI format since most coverters will have problems creating AVI's larger than 1 or 2 GB. Your best bet is to demux the MPEG-2 stream to a raw m2v file.

Speaking of time travellers, I've just had a look at that game... It's not really a romhacking challenge... It does look pretty good, though.

EDIT: A pic of the game... Showing how foul mouthed Vanille gets in this game. Warning, bad words ahead lol:

Vanille0.png

Texts use a serialized XML format. We could actually exploit its ability to put small characters above each word to translate the game to two languages at the same time lol.

~Sky

blackfire219

D-Wheeler Accel Duelist
Trophies
XP
Country

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I once made an UI for one of the tools available to convert PMF to AVI... But I don'r recomend using the AVI format since most coverters will have problems creating AVI's larger than 1 or 2 GB. Your best bet is to demux the MPEG-2 stream to a raw m2v file.

Speaking of time travellers, I've just had a look at that game... It's not really a romhacking challenge... It does look pretty good, though.

EDIT: A pic of the game... Showing how foul mouthed Vanille gets in this game. Warning, bad words ahead lol:

Vanille0.png

Texts use a serialized XML format. We could actually exploit its ability to put small characters above each word to translate the game to two languages at the same time lol.

~Sky

That is darn cool (and foul) xD shame the game didn't get a PS3 port. Otherwise I'd point over to that as a suggestion. On the XML thing how easy does that make it? I looked into it and is it just flat out readable?

SkyBladeCloud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That is darn cool (and foul) xD shame the game didn't get a PS3 port. Otherwise I'd point over to that as a suggestion. On the XML thing how easy does that make it? I looked into it and is it just flat out readable?

Well, ugh... nope... the game uses two CPK files... One mostly contains streams (audio + video) that are always read straight from the UMD... The other is the install data, and is encrypted... That one contains the text (and pretty much everything interesting). After decrypting and extracting the "cool" CPK, text use a custom format + shift-jis encoding; and they follow a XML-like markup language. They are indexed by pointers right before the text (no big deal here). In most cases they are packed in an event file package.

There are also a lot of images and 3D models, they are all compressed in some weird LZSS variation. it should be very easy to figure it out just by tracing its ASM routine... but so far this title still just an option to be translated. Note that I'm not limited to PS3... In fact, i don't even have a CFW; a PS3 title is just something I'd enjoy more

~Sky

Reactions: Randqalan

Nepherael

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way, I made a tutorial here for merging Type-0 into single ISO. I hope it helps. :)
http://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-on...antasy-type-0-in-one-iso.362170/#post-4919075

Thanks a bunch. I am just yanking my PSP's back out and catching up on games and CFW and stuff and that post really helps.

I've been a long time member of Gamefaqs and have kept an eye on this project through the board over there. I thought it was high time I made an account here and gave you my thanks personally Sky (and your team) since you probably haven't seen my thank you posts on other websites. I really admire you for seeing a project like this to completion and, though you have heard it before, you deserve the highest praise for bringing this to gamers that may never have been able to experience it otherwise. I just can't come close to playing a game in a pictographic language like Japanese because I get really agitated when I'm confirming menu options and prompts and have no idea what theyre saying.

I can't wait to experience this game, I've played small bits before (I collect the series so I had to own it once I found out I'd probably never see an English retail release) and I've got it running decent on my PSP1000, PSPGo, and my Nexus 10 so I'm pumped!

Rasen1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

~Sky

I dunno if these present a rom-hacking challenge, or if you're open to jumping in on currently ongoing projects, but what about:

Persona 2:EP (that actually seems like it could be a relatively quick project, if you took the translations from the original US release), Suikoden: Hyakunen, or Sword Art Online (something must be funky about that game, the last time I saw an update on the gbatemp threads, Kirito's legs disappeared)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Tonight's nightmare sponsored but G-Fuel! lolo