yez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
Porygonal said:
I dunno,the old ones seem a little on the boring side to me after playing 7 and so on.Just too old school.And I'm not a FF7 fanboy lol I don't even think it's the best game like some people do.
If you think they're boring, you must not have played any before 7. 7 can be quite boring after a while. It hasn't aged well either compared to older games. Final Fantasy 6 honestly never gets boring and i feel the same about 4.

I played final fantasy 3 and it just sucked. I couldnt get into it. Final fantasy 4 was also kinda suckish, but better than final fantasy 3. You want a game... Dragon quest the bride (forgot name)

Also i quoted you because im wondering when golden sun 3 comes out, i loved those games!

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have something with Final Fantasy.... I really want that at least ONE game like to me!!! But I could find it. I´ve played 1,2,3,4,5,6 and dropped them all. I like classics RPG but.... i don´t know, final fantasy never caught me. Guess I´m retarded or something....

Bacl to topic
the remake of IV is way bether that III, at least the little I play it

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Play both!

I'd play III first, just because IV is an improvement and will be even better experience when you play it after the III..

These are easily one of my favorite NDS games, but I like old school RPGs
tongue.gif

Zane

Ace Wizard
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I just hope they really really decide to make a 5th and 6th remake for the DS, they can't stop now, and since i never got any of the Gba remakes except for 1&2, i need the DS remakes.

In terms of 3d FF games, 8th wins. =)

Anyway, i think FF4 is longer then FF3, altough i have yet to complete the 3rd game.

As others have said, 4 for the story, and 3 for the character customization.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kind of doubt they'll make FF 5 or 6 on DS. They would have announced it by now, as FF4 has been out for quite a long time now. Matrix (the developer of the remakes) have sort of moved on to NEW game projects- Nostalgia, FF Gaiden, and even their own original game Avalon Code. I just think they would have said something by now. DS is getting old too, perhaps they already are looking at the successor.

I basically liked both Final Fantasy 3 and 4. I had played 4 before on SNES though. The DS was the first time i had ever played 3. I thought i'd dislike it since it was so generic, but surprisingly not. It drew me in. Too bad the DS version was rather unbalanced when they remade it. Their first attempt at a FF engine on DS only allowed up to 3 enemies on the battle screen at once. The original had something like up to 9 or more, i forget. But they had to restructure the combat a little and make enemies harder since there were fewer of them. I later played the NES version of 3. I like the interface and presentation of the DS version far more, but the combat in the NES version is far more balanced i think.

They fixed all those issues with 4 though. They tweaked the engine to allow the correct amount of enemies onscreen at once. They also reprogrammed a lot of the bosses and added MORE difficulty. Or rather, more strategy. You have to think more carefully here. Some bosses that were easy in the original (even the hardtype Japanese version) are now far more tricky to learn. I'd have to say FF4 is the overall superior game.

@Yez- offtopic posting, but no one knows when Golden Sun DS is coming. Tentative release is this year, but i dunno. It'll surely be at E3 in June though, just wait till then for something solid.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ah, final fantasy. The whole series has a soft spot in my heart (despite having not played XI, XII, or most of the spin-offs). You see, back when I was a wee tot, I started out as the video game freak I am now. I had all the magazines, I rabidly grabbed games left and right. I was old enough to get an allowance, and one game was to be the first for me to buy with my own earned money. That game, a little known game that was part of the new genre of graphic RPGs. That game was Final Fantasy. And I was hooked ever since (and still am. For those who assumed, my name does NOT mean "Chocolate Tornado" )

I've played and played a lot of the games in the series, and I'm firmly in the "part six is da bomb" camp. However, I'd just go ahead and grab both games. You'll be glad you did. If emulating is your thing, it's not hard to find the original trilogy for downloading, and translations of the original NES parts 2 and 3 are out there.

Oh, and for the record, as far as the disc generation of FF games, I'd say that 9 is the best in the series, but that's because it's the most old-school in style. That, and it's filled with in-jokes for those of you who have played the rest of the series.

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sword414 said:
Exbaddude said:
Do the plot of Final Fantasy games continue on? Like, if I didn't play the one before I wouldn't get the story?

No,each Final Fantasy has a completely different story,

but there are some exceptions, but they will be specifically marked with which entry it is a sequel to
- Final Fantasy X-2
- Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cereberus
- Final Fantasy IV: The After Years

You forgot

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings

Just saying xD

Prime_Zero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Amazing how a simple pick option A or option B can get so out of hand lol.

But Ive played both and I suggest IV first I like the graphic's and story better than III not to say III wasn't good either. There both good games and either way you'll have fun with them both im sure.
gbasp.gif

Atheocracy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've only ever used this account for lurking, and this is my first real post, so, I'll give my take on this. Trying to be as unbiased as possible, this is my opinion on which FF's are best (I've been playing the franchise since I was 7, beat FFVII when I was 9):

1. Final Fantasy IX
2. Final Fantasy X
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Final Fantasy VI
5. Final Fantasies IV and V
6. Final Fantasy XII
7. Final Fantasy III
8. Final Fantasy II
9. Final Fantasy I
100. Final Fantasy VIII (Not deserving of top ten status. Putrid, crass piece of shit example of a Final Fantasy title.)

Now, starting on the two DS titles isn't bad, but, they're radically different in their style and gameplay. FF III offers a lot of customization, and has a varied, entertaining style of play, with a lot of options to keep the game fresh for several play-throughs. Sadly, story takes a bit of a back-seat, though, it's a lot stronger than the original NES version. As for the DS version of IV, story is predominate, with good gameplay to match. The most discernible difference between this version and the original SNES and the GBA port is the difficulty: This one is really fucking hard. Between the two, there is no best way to gauge which is better, but, if you're starting with FF, start with one of the GBA ports, or original SNES versions, as they're more introductory than the DS version of IV. Starting with one of the PS1 games isn't a bad idea either (emulation ftw). IX, in my opinion, has a perfect blend of classic style and what was at the time modern graphics. I'll not only call IX my favorite FF, but, my overall favorite video game. It has a more accessible difficulty with an unforgettable cast, beautiful graphics, and gameplay that never tires.

That's my take, anyway.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Replying to your comment in the other thread bout why i prefer FF3 to 4 well...

FF4 has a good story but the game is highly broken when you play it you almost need a guide to know how to use characters because alot of moves require a specific way to aqquire them and its just too much for me because it doesnt show you how to get them untill its too late and you can go the entire game not knowing that character could have that move! plus in FF4 you have to grind ALOT you go from one area which felt too easy to another area thats really difficult which i hate in games like that also (this may also be to its credit) final fantasy 4 has specific characters use specific moves now that could be a plus for some but its a major drag for me because i like to customize what my characters do

FF3 does have your typical story but its forgettable however the game is perfectly paced i never needed to grind at all till the final area and even then it was only a little but i wasnt finding the game too easy either plus one of the main things i love about FF3 is the fact you can change around your party and mix it up with its job system which means you can assign any of your characters to any job need more than 1 white mage? then make 2 white mages! want a theif? make a theif! i loved that about the game plus i think FF3 is a longer game and in my opinion better graphics than FF4

FF3 is much better in my opinion and i know everyone praises FF4 but its just not a very fun game in my opinion

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm seeing where this poll is trending and it is very disturbing. I'm not one to be nasty and call people stupid in a way but Exbaddude please read this.

Final Fantasy II SNES(IV on DS, PSX, GBA I've played em all) to me for years has been the best in the series with story telling, emotion, smart classic design, good length for the attention span, and just characters to care about. It really was a great game where it all just worked from leveling up to the bosses you could slog through or use the weakness to inflict maximum damage.

I voted though for Final Fantasy III. Why?

Final Fantasy IV on the DS is BROKEN. Sure it's a very pretty 3D engine and a talkie, a step over FF3 on the DS. It still has the nicer story, better translation yet again, and some nice environments. The game though is broken where it counts most, game play design. Final Fantasy IV through all those multi-system releases had a general design whereas in each dungeon you were in, or cave, or whatever you had varying HP/weakness type enemies, some hit a little harder or lesser, but they required no pattern. Bosses, they were basically the same. Short of Valvalis where you have Jump to break the spin, you could beat on the weakness or take 15min and chip your way through a fight. On the DS version of 4, they decided to hose up the bosses and a few random enemies like they've done since Final Fantasy 10 on the titles. Bosses and the occasional random enemy now plays like the classic old game SIMON, you know the memory match game with lights that buzzes when wrong. FFIVDS now forces you on all bosses from the get go to specifically follow a very linear plan of attack with each person doing a certain move or defending/parrying out of a turn. If you break the pattern you can learn with a lot of retry pain, asking, or faq cheating -- you're dead. Ths bosses now will do an uber move that hits so goddamn hard you're dead in 1 turn, 2 at the most as your party is mostly dead and the rest choking blood. The game wasn't like this before, and what's worse random enemies do it too, such as this fire(blaze) using dogs in the Tower of Bab-il that'll cast a blaze like spell that will kill everyone in 1-2 shots (usually1) even if you're over leveled. All this because you attack out of turn, all the strategy of the classic releases of the title are gone where you can chip away, learn, and exploit. *Edit* I just wanted to add re-reading some peoples posts them calling this game more difficult -- technically it's easier than the hard type from Japan/PSX as I've done them, but realistically they're right due to the broken boss fights because if you do one thing wrong you're dead back to the last save wherever it was some walk away. Normal fights, normal travel, everything else though is easier in this release than most FF4 copies (original FF2 snes release aside as it's easy type.)

To me that's shit, totally inexcusable and game breaking. I held off on FF13 until I learned they dumped that shitty system for that new combat it has. I sold FF4 and paid $20 to get a new SNES cart (since I don't have a GBA now) just to have a non-broken copy of FF2 once more.

FF3 doesn't do this dog shit. Unlike the Famicom game they wrote a new huge story into it giving names, classes, and objectives to the players who originally had none, just faceless/nameless wonders like FF1 had. The game has a decent job system, no cheap boss memory match pattern fights, good areas, and lots of just neat things that haven't been seen really before in the game. Trust me, go with FF3 as it's the better non-cheap adventure. But please don't skip FF2/4DS, just get the SNES, GBA, PSX, Wonderswan, Virtual Console, or any other copy, just avoid the DS game like the plague as it's awful.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Atheocracy said:
1. Final Fantasy IX
2. Final Fantasy X
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Final Fantasy VI
6. Final Fantasy XII
7. Final Fantasy III
8. Final Fantasy II
9. Final Fantasy I
100. Final Fantasy VIII (Not deserving of top ten status. Putrid, crass piece of shit example of a Final Fantasy title.)
this is my order of whats best to worst in the series(my opinion only not fact)

1.Final Fantasy IX
2.Final Fantasy VI
3.Final Fantasy VIII
4.Final Fantasy VII
5.Final Fantasy X
6.Final Fantasy XIII
7Final Fantasy IV
8.Final Fantasy V
9.Final Fantasy XII
10.Final Fantasy III
11.Final Fantasy I
12.Final Fantasy II

never played XI and probably wont play XIV not a huge fan of MMOs at least not Pay to play...

choconado

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There's a thread over in general consoles where people talk about the FF series as a whole. My thoughts are there, but I'd like to add that these lists are showing me which people are playing the games intelligently and give all the games a try. Because they list IX as the best. Many of the entries have rabid fan bases (hello, 6...) but nine takes the cake as far as the series goes. Squeenix started focusing on X so much like days after IX came out that a lot of people passed over it with barely a glance. Last year I decided I'd dig it back up and play it with seriousness. Imagine my shock at learning that it was FAR better than X. Yes it has cutesy SD character design, but it has a fantastic story, incredibly in-depth and customizable characters (easily so, which X can not claim. Sure you can customize to max potential/all skills and stats for every character, but it's gonna take you like six months of hard work at the arena) and what is clearly the best graphics the PS1 ever got. I think it might just be the very best game on the PS1 period. It's a shame that Squeenix was so gakked out over the upcoming PS2 game (which took another year or so to come out) that they severely neglected the marketing in both this and Chrono Cross that year, as both games were great RPGs.

Also, thanks D for the insightful rundown on FFIV DS. It weighs pretty heavy in my own play choices.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Atheocracy said:
I've only ever used this account for lurking, and this is my first real post, so, I'll give my take on this. Trying to be as unbiased as possible, this is my opinion on which FF's are best (I've been playing the franchise since I was 7, beat FFVII when I was 9):

1. Final Fantasy IX
2. Final Fantasy X
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Final Fantasy VI
6. Final Fantasy XII
7. Final Fantasy III
8. Final Fantasy II
9. Final Fantasy I

Now, starting on the two DS titles isn't bad, but, they're radically different in their style and gameplay. FF III offers a lot of customization, and has a varied, entertaining style of play, with a lot of options to keep the game fresh for several play-throughs. Sadly, story takes a bit of a back-seat, though, it's a lot stronger than the original NES version. As for the DS version of IV, story is predominate, with good gameplay to match. The most discernible difference between this version and the original SNES and the GBA port is the difficulty: This one is really fucking hard. Between the two, there is no best way to gauge which is better, but, if you're starting with FF, start with one of the GBA ports, or original SNES versions, as they're more introductory than the DS version of IV. Starting with one of the PS1 games isn't a bad idea either (emulation ftw). IX, in my opinion, has a perfect blend of classic style and what was at the time modern graphics. I'll not only call IX my favorite FF, but, my overall favorite video game. It has a more accessible difficulty with an unforgettable cast, beautiful graphics, and gameplay that never tires.

That's my take, anyway.

Stopped reading there.
Terrible opinion.

choconado

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you're wrong. 8 is indeed the lowpoint of the series. (except for 11. Sorry, but mmo's don't work like standard RPG's. Ever.) And that's because they A.) went all super angsty moping teen on the story, and b.) broke the level up system. Completely. To the point of discouraging grinding.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
I dont think 8 was a low point in the series in fact i think 8 has one of the better emotional stories in the final fantasy games and its one of 2 games (the other being 9) that i can replay and still enjoy from start to finish the only thing i didnt like in 8 is the fact every main character is human but thats hardly something to judge since 8 had one of the strongest line up of characters and the whole assassination scene and areas where your party would split up to handle diffrent objectives was really well done also it has a TON of bonus stuff to do and hard areas and in my opinion the best world map

The remake of 3 is great didnt like the remake of 4 on DS i played FF6 years ago but i really need to play a remake to make a comment about it as i dont remeber it very well at all.

7/8/9 were all progressively better using the classic (and best) formula with all 3 having great stories and strong characters who when most people are asked which final fantasy character would you be it's pretty assured you'll be choosing a character from one of these games

10 got rid of the world map altho being a great game with a great story just felt like the classic final fantasy feel was gone X-2 was great fun with a cool as hell battle system , FF12 had the most anoying characters and confusing plot with boring enemies who all seemed to wear suits of armor and now we have FF13 which my friend just bought and im watching a LP on youtube and it just looks boring (no towns , linear progression)

My views

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW7LwaU1xMw