FileZilla freeze/hangs when transferring large number of small files.

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Hi guys!

So here's the thing. I actually need help for my PS3 but i get this is more of a PC question than PS3, so i came here.

Anyway, the problem is as the title say...
so whenever i transfer files over FTP with FileZilla to my PS3's HDD via CAT5 cable, it works flawlessly and really fast, up to 20MBps!

only flaw is this:
Whenever a folder contains, for example, about 900 files (give or take) that are small in size (about 4 to 10Kb) the FileZilla will upload them just fine,
but after, idk, about 300 files (or less) it will just stay there, like nothing is happening. It's not frozen per se, i can close, quit, it's all normal, it just doesn't do anything with upload, but
it shows it's in progress, but without progress bar.

Now when i try moving files manually from folders and sub-folders in chunks of about 200 i can copy them fine. So i CAN copy files, but not just by drag-n-drop the entire folder and let it upload to PS3's HDD.

Now....what i your experience with FileZilla, what do you recommend i do?

Ofc, thank you in advance!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A lot of files might be slower if the hard drive has to seek them, or generate new listings for everything.
That said generally FTP and filezilla (server and client) is how I have recovered a lot of bad hard drives in machines that still boot, thousands of files at a time across a dozen directories. Though that is PCs and I have no idea what goes for the PS3 FTP server which is more likely to be the problem.

Does it work if you do batches of files (presumably less than the 300 cutoff)? If you force kill filezilla does it connect back in and allow you to transfer files when you load it back up (trying to check if the PS3 side of things has crashed)? If you want to find another client then that could work, not sure what I would suggest.
Ignore the existing files you are trying to transfer. Make a batch of a few thousand small files (make a text file with a space or something in it, copy that a bunch) and transfer those across to the PS3.

You could try running a FTP server on another thing (presumably filezilla server on the same PC) and seeing if that works or if your OS or hardware is trying to get in the way somewhere in this; anti virus, bad sectors on your hard drive, windows trying to make thumbnails or thumbnail files (usually hidden but not always) troubling things... file names as well (don't know if the PS3 supports file names with odd characters in it).

After this we will probably want to look at various settings inside filezilla to limit file counts and other things in case it is trying to do something silly.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
This is likely an issue with the server and not the client. I have to imagine that the FTP implementation for the PS3 is rather lackluster. In Filezilla, set it to only transfer one file at a time, and change your transfer type to binary. This is what I had to do to get around 3DS limitations.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, prove it