File splitter/knitter

silenfoot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a couple of RAR files that have been split into several pieces, but I have no way of kitting them back together. Does anyone know of a good file knitter?

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Winrar and/or 7zip, Filzip?

A specialized copy command can also do it for some files - not sure if it's the case with Winrar splitted files.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Rar files do not tend to be split (they will often have a rar file and a slightly bigger or larger file than the standard with a high number at the end of the extension) or they will lack a rar file and just have numbered extensions.

These numbered extensions are also used in split files (which are relatively common in these circles) which makes things a bit confusing as many tools do not detect the differences.

Still if you do want to join files then the command line is your friend, the command you want goes as follows:

copy /b file1.file+file2.file+file3.file filecomplete.file

unix based operating systems can use cat:
http://www.techonthenet.com/unix/basic/cat.php

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
winrar? (sorry for my less informative post, was late with f5
smile.gif
, try the above and/or winrar itself
wink.gif
).

silenfoot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
Rar files do not tend to be split (they will often have a rar file and a slightly bigger or larger file than the standard with a high number at the end of the extension) or they will lack a rar file and just have numbered extensions.

These numbered extensions are also used in split files (which are relatively common in these circles) which makes things a bit confusing as many tools do not detect the differences.

Still if you do want to join files then the command line is your friend, the command you want goes as follows:

copy /b file1.file+file2.file+file3.file filecomplete.file

unix based operating systems can use cat:
http://www.techonthenet.com/unix/basic/cat.php

That could take a while considering the length of the file names. Each part is 51 characters long and both files are split into ten parts each. I'll try it, though, and if it works I'll let you know.

*facepalm followed by excessive headdesk*
I just realized I could make my life so much easier by writing it up as a batch file...

Edit: Nevermind, it's complaining that the input line is to long. I think a friend of mine has the complete files, I'll see if I can get them from him. Thanks anyway for the help.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You got it but for the other reading might I suggest "dir /b >>a.txt"

back on topic split the copy /b command up a few times. Who cares if you do it in one step or four.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1