ROM Hack FFIII - English Translation Patch

kalimero

Uncle Rupee
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ok i've tried to translate/interpret most of the Menus in FFIII DS (with the help of http://ff3trans.pbwiki.com/ and Shift JIS Kanji Code Table). Word length was limited so i used shortcuts for many words. Actually it's an improved version of zemus hack. I changed and added a lot of his menu translation. Feel free to translate all the items, weapons etc. or even the story
biggrin.gif
(i'm too lazy).

To apply this patch you need the unpatched Rom released by WRG and a ppf-Patcher from this site. If you're using Windows, you can simply use the Batch Script that comes with the Zip file.

Have fun until US Release date
smile.gif

Download: old patch v01

Update

Great News. I've been working hard on a new Patch. It has now much better and more menu translations (with longer words). I translated most of the items, weapons, armor and spells too. There is also a small story translation at the beginning, but it's hard to do and ugly and i don't want to continue this.

Download: old patch v02

Update

Ok here is some more translation works for you folks. What's new?

- Locations
- Job Classes
- Job Submenu
- Mognet menu (most part)
- more Spells, Items, Character Names
- maybe half of the Job specific Abilities (I could't find a translation for the rest :'( )

For the next time i think i will play this game more than translating. I hope it's already playable enough. Don't expect any more patches soon.

Download: new patch v03

Pado

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
interesting
happy.gif
although I only have problems with the Kanji though
tongue.gif

still thanks though
tongue.gif
I'll check it out
smile.gif

edit:

just tried out the patch, it works fine on my M3 SD. The word length is indeed a problem
tongue.gif

aaymon_86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the patch, but could u givr me step by step instructions on how to patch the rom cause its not working for me.

m_babble

Elder Phantom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully this will keep getting updated considering that wiki page has a lot of the game translated.

US release date is a ways down the line.

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Pado

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
lol ... it's simple for windows users ...

1) unzip the patch downloaded from above in a folder
2) put the unpatched/untouched ff3 rom released by WRG in the same folder
3) you will have these files in the same folder then
ff3patch.jpg

4) then just double click the "Apply_Patch.bat" file and the rom will be patched ...

SUPAA EASY .. if I may say it ..

kalimero

Uncle Rupee
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks Pado for helping me out.

This should be easy as hell (easier than supercard rom patching
wink.gif
).
If ApplyPPF3.exe doesn't work (have you named the rom file correctly?) you could download and try PPF-O-Matic 3.0 (Win).

ppfomat3.png

Pado

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the download link is located in the first post ..... sorry to be rude
tongue.gif
.. but are you blind :XD: ??

Kalimero: can you explain how we can translate (modify the game text) ??
tongue.gif

RAneo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i got a problem with FFIII

i got a supercard, and when i select the game
a black screen with something in japanese written on it appears

and it hangs there

u know why?
ohmy.gif

[nothing to do with this topic
tongue.gif
]

phantom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Exactly what I was talking about earlier. Great stuff! I'm sure we'll have a decently playable translation of most of the game in no time. I know what I'll be doing tonight.
smile.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Always good to see translation work on any platform going on, the fact this is on the DS makes it ever sweeter. I have a whole bunch of stuff (including other projects) happening right now but if some others are taking care of the translation I can offer some help in a week or two's time if you would like.

For anyone who has still not got this patching buisness down NINJA2.0 should also support it (and just about every other patching method on the face of the planet):
NINJA2.0

The downside the non command line version requires .NET to run.

kalimero

Uncle Rupee
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ok let's translate something i still did't in my patch. (save menu)

First you have to understand the Kanji Table. If you search a word you have to identify the code of each character of the word. Ok we have to identify the code of the japanese word '????1' which we want to translate into 'Slot1' (save menu translation: http://ff3trans.pbwiki.com/Menu%20Details). Browser search (Strg+F) the first character of the word in the table.

The first character in the Table Row has the code '83 4f'. The code of our character is '83 58'. Count hex-wise from left to right: 4f, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58. The Codes for the next three characters are '83 8d', '83 62', '83 67', and 1 is coded '82 50'. Fine, now put this code together and you have '8358838d836283678250'. Now you can open your Rom in any Hex-Editor and search for our Hex-String.

You can see, that single words (or whole sentences if you want to translate dialogs) are usually seperateted from each other with four Zeros ('0000'). Finally you just have to replace this String with the translated one. But it must be the same word length. In our case you can put 5 characters between the two '0000'-Seperators. So "Slot1' will fit. Here is a small Table for the Codes you need (you can also look at the Kanji-Table).

Code:
------------------------

'82--' :

A 60 Â a 81 Â 0 4F
B 61 Â b 82 Â 1 50
C 62 Â c 83 Â 2 51
D 63 Â d 84 Â 3 52
E 64 Â e 85 Â 4 53
F 65 Â f 86 Â 5 54
G 66 Â g 87 Â 6 55
H 67 Â h 88 Â 7 56
I 68 Â i 89 Â 8 57
J 69 Â j 8A Â 9 58
K 6A Â k 8B
L 6B Â l 8C
M 6C Â m 8D
N 6D Â n 8E
O 6E Â o 8F
P 6F Â p 90
Q 70 Â q 91
R 71 Â r 92
S 72 Â s 93
T 73 Â t 94
U 74 Â u 95
V 75 Â v 96
W 76 Â w 97
X 77 Â x 98
Y 78 Â y 99
Z 79 Â z 9A

space 8140

------------------------

'Slot1' is coded: 8272 828c 828f 8294 8250. Replace this String and you're done.
For creating patches you can download MakePPF3 from here http://www.paradogs.com/pdx_ppf3.htm

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The problem with this way of hacking ROMs is that there's always not enough space for English characters. Someone will have to re-code parts of the game to create enough space as far as I know. However, I don't think anyone will go that far with the game to be officially released in English soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-