outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The problem with this way of hacking ROMs is that there's always not enough space for English characters. Someone will have to re-code parts of the game to create enough space as far as I know. However, I don't think anyone will go that far with the game to be officially released in English soon.

That is correct. One would need to implement a VWF (Variable Width Font) to make it better to use English chars. It's funny, all of a sudden everyone thinks they can translate a game like FF3.

kalimero

Uncle Rupee
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The problem with this way of hacking ROMs is that there's always not enough space for English characters. Someone will have to re-code parts of the game to create enough space as far as I know. However, I don't think anyone will go that far with the game to be officially released in English soon.

That is correct. One would need to implement a VWF (Variable Width Font) to make it better to use English chars. It's funny, all of a sudden everyone thinks they can translate a game like FF3.

Nevertheless its still fun to mess with the rom
tongue.gif

Nice. For Dialogs you can also use ASCII Code, so you have double amount of space (ASCII is only 1 Byte per char).

phantom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:
For Dialogs you can also use ASCII Code, so you have double amount of space (ASCII is only 1 Byte per char).

I doubt that that will work, when the games expects 16 bit characters.
smile.gif

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
this might be just me... but isnt there also good games in Jap that wont see a release date? why translate a game that will be in english in a few months.

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
this might be just me... but isnt there also good games in Jap that wont see a release date? why translate a game that will be in english in a few months.

I think it's because alot of people can't wait and want to play the Japanese release. Menu hacks/patches help out these people alot.
smile.gif

kalimero

Uncle Rupee
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
QUOTE said:
For Dialogs you can also use ASCII Code, so you have double amount of space (ASCII is only 1 Byte per char).

I doubt that that will work, when the games expects 16 bit characters.
smile.gif

I've already done that at the Qsave Warning screen... it works.
wink.gif

QUOTE(Hero-Link @ Aug 25 2006, 04:51 PM)this might be just me... but isnt there also good games in Jap that wont see a release date? why translate a game that will be in english in a few months.

Try some of Xcomp's guides, i would love to see a Translation of Kaitou Rousseau.

jeffkong

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

I think it's because alot of people can't wait and want to play the Japanese release. Menu hacks/patches help out these people alot.
smile.gif

yeah, knowing what menus, items, and equipment your using does help immensely

nobody should expect a full dialog translation when the english game is coming out so soon, but if people wanted to translate these menus it would be great, and not just for FF3, there's Rune Factory and a whole bunch of games that won't be translated for a while, or maybe not at all

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok i've tried to translate/interpret most of the Menus in FFIII DS (with the help of http://ff3trans.pbwiki.com/ and Shift JIS Kanji Code Table). Word length was limited so i used shortcuts for many words. Actually it's an improved version of zemus hack. I changed and added a lot of his menu translation. Feel free to translate all the items, weapons etc. or even the story
biggrin.gif
(i'm too lazy).

To apply this patch you need the unpatched Rom released by WRG and a ppf-Patcher from this site. If you're using Windows, you can simply use the Batch Script that comes with the Zip file.

Have fun until US Release dateÂ
smile.gif

download

please send me the link for the patch i have not found..thx
smile.gif
You are incapable of reading.

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nevertheless its still fun to mess with the romÂ
tongue.gif

Indeed. Come on, experienced ROM hackers. I'm sure you remember the time you first hacked a ROM and had characters saying what you want
wink.gif

It's funny, all of a sudden everyone thinks they can translate a game like FF3.
Yeah, you're right. I mean I understand the satisfaction coming from hacking someone's piece of code. Makes you feel like a "real hacker" but, when there's people making videos out of something that practically any newbie ROM hacker can do, it's just more hilarious than cool
laugh.gif

Burbruee

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You are right, it would be nice to see translations of other japanese games that possibly will never be available outside of Japan..

I tried translating parts of this game, and it works.
But for Bleach DS.. (Trying to translate the MainMenu.) it does not.
It's not as simple as 83XX83XX etc.. Can't find anything like that in the ROM.

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You are right, it would be nice to see translations of other japanese games that possibly will never be available outside of Japan..

I tried translating parts of this game, and it works.
But for Bleach DS.. (Trying to translate the MainMenu.) it does not.
It's not as simple as 83XX83XX etc.. Can't find anything like that in the ROM.

That would be tile editing. It's a graphics swap. ROM translation isn't as easy as this post makes it out to be. It just happened to be easy to swap text.

kalimero

Uncle Rupee
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Nevertheless its still fun to mess with the romÂ
tongue.gif

Indeed. Come on, experienced ROM hackers. I'm sure you remember the time you first hacked a ROM and had characters saying what you want
wink.gif

It's funny, all of a sudden everyone thinks they can translate a game like FF3.
Yeah, you're right. I mean I understand the satisfaction coming from hacking someone's piece of code. Makes you feel like a "real hacker" but, when there's people making videos out of something that practically any newbie ROM hacker can do, it's just more hilarious than cool
laugh.gif

Nobody sayed that we are skilled hackers nor that this patch is the perfect translation you want it to be. We don't need something like that (US Version is coming either way). Its just for fun and to make the game a little more playable.

phantom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There's a lenghty translation guide here for those who can't wait
http://www.gamebrink.com/nintendo-ds/1418-..._III-guide.html

Woah, the speech is fully translated it seems!
biggrin.gif
Maybe a full patch could come soon!
smile.gif

I want to live in a world where it is always brisk and sunny also! There have been plenty of translation guides for RPGs in the past (and present with Mother 3). This style of translation is a very rough one. It doesn't allow for changes in line length nor character size. In theory, if someone wanted to release a fully fan-translated version of FF3 DS, it would come out long after the US version did.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: