Hacking Few questions

skweezer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey all
Looking at modding my switch this weekend and looking for some guidance.

Things I think i’ll need to purchase are:
RCM Jig
SX OS Licence

I have a nvidia shield TV, I’m wondering if I could use it to inject payloads on the switch as I believe this is part of the process.

Also I’ve seen posts saying “burnt fuses” - what does that mean? I don’t want any hardware damage.

Also some posts about bricked consoles.

I’m guessing if I make a nand backup I should be ok. But how would I go about doing that and at what point of the process? Before Installing SX OS??

I know it’s not advised to go online so I don’t plan to. However, are consoles being banned even if they don’t go online whilst on SX os?

Thanks in advance.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick answers:

First, there are plenty of free alternatives to SX OS, so there's no reason to buy that. You could buy a jig, or you could make one out of a paper clip. If you plan on installing AutoRCM so your Switch coldboots into RCM whenever you turn it on, you only need to use the jig once.

Burnt fuses exist to prevent downgrades. You can prevent fuses from being burnt by following certain steps. If you're already on 5.0.0 or higher, then it's not worth worrying about right now. If you're content with forever using RCM, then you also don't need to worry about downgrading in the future.

You should make the NAND backup as early as possible. If you keep your console offline completely, it's not going to be banned.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: skweezer

fadx

Filthy Cheater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You'll need:
RCM Jig
USB Type C male to USB male cable (USB C into your switch, USB into your Shield TV).
APK for "NXLoader", you'll use this to inject the payload: https://github.com/DavidBuchanan314/NXLoader/releases
Preferably a 64GB Micro SD card (for dumping your entire NAND, you can use a 32 GB one or similar and just dump it in parts but it's a lot less convenient).
Hekate (payload is the .bin file, you'll use it with NXLoader for dumping your NAND and getting any of your consoles information): https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/releases

I can't guarantee that you can actually use the Nvidia Shield TV to inject the payload, but it would make sense that it would work. You could also use an Android phone (using the same APK and an OTG adapter to plug in a USB) or a computer.

The first thing you should do is dump your entire NAND (and you should back this up in multiple places if possible), if you proceed with anything else and end up breaking something you'll be screwed without a NAND backup.

The recent bricked consoles thing was due to people running a supposedly cracked version of SX OS that was actually a malicious payload for ruining your NAND (pro tip: do NOT run anything from random people that haven't provided the source code or that hasn't been verified to be working by someone reputable. You don't want to be the guinea pig and end up destroying your console).

What gets you banned is still very unknown. From the information Nintendo should be able to collect, there should be a massive amount of people banned right now but for whatever reason the only people really getting banned currently are those that are going online with an invalid cart certificate using SX OS or people using LayeredFS. It's very likely other things will start resulting in bans. Even if you use SX OS offline, it's likely that everything about you playing that game is recorded and if something doesn't look right the next time you head online Nintendo could potentially see that something wasn't right and then ban you. The best thing to do to avoid a ban would be to create a NAND backup immediately. Keep your console completely offline until an emuNAND solution is released. When an emuNAND solution comes out you can use the NAND you backed up as your sysNAND and use the NAND you've been using homebrew or SX OS as an emuNAND. That way you can go online and play legit games etc. and use the eShop on your untouched clean looking sysNAND and then you can keep your emuNAND offline and continue to use homebrew SX OS etc. without any problems.

I personally have been doing the following without being banned:
Play backups on SX OS offline (all backups being used are using a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe cert that I dumped).
Use Hekate to clear error reports (this could potentially actually cause a ban in the future however there's not much evidence it's currently the case).
Enter OFW and update games, play legit games online, use eShop.

No matter what people are doing now that seems to avoid a ban, there's always the potential that Nintendo starts detecting something else and we probably won't have any warning, just a lot of banned consoles.

SX OS is only needed if you were wanting to run backups, you can use Homebrew without SX OS.
Fuses are physical fuses in your Nintendo Switch that are burned whenever you perform a normal System Update, the console will check to see how many fuses are burned on launch and then refuse to boot if you're on a lower firmware than your burned fuses indicates. You can prevent burning the fuses if you wanted to downgrade your Switch Firmware at any point in the future but then you'd need to always boot your console into some CFW that bypasses the fuse checks.

Last edited by fadx,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Poke the boner lol. +1