Few questions before modding a V1

Seraphic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have a V1 Switch on 2.0 firmware that I am getting ready to mod along with a Jig and a 1tb memory card. New to this, but reading THIS website and looking at THIS video for visual aid, it doesn't seem too hard. But would like to know how the end process works here. So looks like you keep the system nand and create a emu-namd for atmosphere, but will the emu be on the same version firmware nand? If so, do I update my system nand or stay on current low firmware? Is preventing efuses from burning a thing if updating system nand and will it be able to go online while emu nand is offline only? And do you have to use Jig to enter Hekate/RCM mode every time to switch between sys/emu nand? Also, for the emu nand, is there a benefit going beyond the 29gb size if you have a large memory card?

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, do NOT use nh-server guide. That guide isn't well written and doesn't tell you how to set up sigpatches and it will lead to a lot of confusion in the future. Instead use rentry's guide: https://rentry.co/SwitchHackingIsEasy

In your case just follow CFW guide - emunand on erista (unpatched). But I do recommend you going through every page in getting started section, to make full nand backups, etc.

If you don't plan to play online just update your emunand firmware. If you want to play online you can update your ofw first then make a emunand. Again read rentry's guide on update cfw section.

You have to use the jig to go to RCM mode every time you power the switch off. You can setup autorcm in hekate so it will boot to RCM mode automatically, but you still need a pc/phone to inject payload. I'd recommend you pick up a payload injector like rcmloader or install an internal injector (trinket m0, rcmx86).

I don't think you can create emunand larger than the original size in hekate, those 2x**GB options mean creating two partitions. For me I just create 12GB emunand (full space for oled is 59GB), more than enough space for save games.

Seraphic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://rentry.org/SwitchHackingIsEasy

This guide explain a lot more and is better imho
Thanks, I will look over that one instead.

First off, do NOT use nh-server guide. That guide isn't well written and doesn't tell you how to set up sigpatches and it will lead to a lot of confusion in the future. Instead use rentry's guide: https://rentry.co/SwitchHackingIsEasy

In your case just follow CFW guide - emunand on erista (unpatched). But I do recommend you going through every page in getting started section, to make full nand backups, etc.

If you don't plan to play online just update your emunand firmware. If you want to play online you can update your ofw first then make a emunand. Again read rentry's guide on update cfw section.

You have to use the jig to go to RCM mode every time you power the switch off. You can setup autorcm in hekate so it will boot to RCM mode automatically, but you still need a pc/phone to inject payload. I'd recommend you pick up a payload injector like rcmloader or install an internal injector (trinket m0, rcmx86).

I don't think you can create emunand larger than the original size in hekate, those 2x**GB options mean creating two partitions. For me I just create 12GB emunand (full space for oled is 59GB), more than enough space for save games.

Just finished modding two PSTV's with SD2Vita, but Switch looks a bit more complicated, but similar to Henkaku (without Enso) in that the mod is temporary and resets upon power off or reboot? Is it correct that Hekate is used for dumping Nand and Lockpick for dumping keys?

Not sure if I would plan on playing online too much, but would like to keep it as an option in the future to access eShop for example. If I backup nand/keys on 2.0, can I restore to that firmware if I update to latest firmware on System Nand? Or if staying offline, is remaining on 2.0 with system nand and updating to latest firmware on Emu Nand for backup loading (etc) possible?

Amazon has about three of those RCM Injectors, but seem expensive and little to no reviews while eBay does not seem to having any at all. Is using an Android phone cumbersome compared to an Injector?

Isn't the internal storage of a Switch 32GB? And seeing as II have a 1TB SDcard, wouldn't it be a good idea to make the Emu Nand also 32GB rather then 12gb for a V1? And basically either system or emu, those are just for save games while SDcard would hold all the games for booting/backups (etc)?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks, I will look over that one instead.

Just finished modding two PSTV's with SD2Vita, but Switch looks a bit more complicated, but similar to Henkaku (without Enso) in that the mod is temporary and resets upon power off or reboot? Is it correct that Hekate is used for dumping Nand and Lockpick for dumping keys?

Not sure if I would plan on playing online too much, but would like to keep it as an option in the future to access eShop for example. If I backup nand/keys on 2.0, can I restore to that firmware if I update to latest firmware on System Nand? Or if staying offline, is remaining on 2.0 with system nand and updating to latest firmware on Emu Nand for backup loading (etc) possible?

Amazon has about three of those RCM Injectors, but seem expensive and little to no reviews while eBay does not seem to having any at all. Is using an Android phone cumbersome compared to an Injector?

Isn't the internal storage of a Switch 32GB? And seeing as II have a 1TB SDcard, wouldn't it be a good idea to make the Emu Nand also 32GB rather then 12gb for a V1? And basically either system or emu, those are just for save games while SDcard would hold all the games for booting/backups (etc)?
Just checked your amazon link and yes, they are expensive. I would try with your android phone first. I believe you just need an OTG cable. The app is called rekado. If it doesn't work, you can still use a PC. RCMloader dongles can also be bought on aliexpress for probably much cheaper, but be aware that they are clones of the original model, no longer manufactured.

Your emunand can be made 32GB. It won't waste any space, since you can still install games in the emunand, just the same way you can on a normal unmodded Switch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto