ROM Hack Fe Fates Save Hex Editing Guide

rpgazur

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That would be under the 'Stat Gains' section on the second image. The stats are stored in hex, not decimal.
hm, i keep changing the current values w different hex values, but nothing seems to happen. what am i doing wrong?
thanks for responding btw, haha

hecfabian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can somebody help me with this? I am able to open the file with the editor, I apply the changes but for some reason when I restore the file and open it in my carriage, the changes are not applied.

Flystar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I am. When I open the file on the editor it has the changes I applied, but it seems the problem is when I saved the file back into the game. I'm using save manager.
Use JK's Save Manager. It seems like when people use save_manager and other save programs, they have that issue.

hecfabian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use JK's Save Manager. It seems like when people use save_manager and other save programs, they have that issue.
I just tried...It didnt work... I don't know what I'm doing wrong...export the save...edit the save...save the save...import the save...nothing...nada.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Are you hitting save in the editor?
I just tried...It didnt work... I don't know what I'm doing wrong...export the save...edit the save...save the save...import the save...nothing...nada.

A FE Fates guy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Try EXPORT, Do the changes, SAVE, then Import. If that doesn't work, I don't know \_O_O_/

Uyet

Trophies
XP
Country
Question, Do I have to decompress the save file from jkmanager before I can hex edit? I am trying to write my own save editor and wondering how I would decompress the save file. Just like the fetwiddler, it just gets the save file directly without using FEST. Or does it decompress it within the program. I am new to hex editing so an advice would be welcome.
I also tried editing the save file without decompressing and it became corrupt.
Thanks

Omegablu

We shall not yield to the Kingdom of Nohr!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question, Do I have to decompress the save file from jkmanager before I can hex edit? I am trying to write my own save editor and wondering how I would decompress the save file. Just like the fetwiddler, it just gets the save file directly without using FEST. Or does it decompress it within the program. I am new to hex editing so an advice would be welcome.
I also tried editing the save file without decompressing and it became corrupt.
Thanks
Why are you making your own editor? Just use FEFTwiddler, since it is perfectly good and basically full featured. Your time would be better spent forking FEFTwiddler rather than making something completely new. And yes, FEFTwiddler automatically decompresses and compresses the save file for you.

Dzm20

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw a comment addressed to you sometime before about changing the voice of MU, but I'm not sure where I can find that.

Natural

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason that the diagram shows C.o.r.r.i.n and not Corrin is because kanji takes up two bytes in hex. If you're not using a hex editor that supports Japanese characters, then the text field will look like garbage data in the spot where the name is. Use the diagram and count down from any landmark in your avatar's block to the spot where the name should be.

It shows Z.e.l.d.a for me even though my game is in english. Zelda is my avatar's name.

And what are the x's for in the Character and Class list.

Last edited by Natural,

Omegablu

We shall not yield to the Kingdom of Nohr!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It shows Z.e.l.d.a for me even though my game is in english. Zelda is my avatar's name.

And what are the x's for in the Character and Class list.
As for your first question, since Kanji characters take up two slots and the game still supports kanji character names in the English version, the characters in the name are separated like that. The x's are just standard format for reporting values in hex. So, for example, if you see 0F FF in the hex editor the way to report it elsewhere is as 0x0FFF. I don't know why it is like that, but it is.

Natural

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for your first question, since Kanji characters take up two slots and the game still supports kanji character names in the English version, the characters in the name are separated like that. The x's are just standard format for reporting values in hex. So, for example, if you see 0F FF in the hex editor the way to report it elsewhere is as 0x0FFF. I don't know why it is like that, but it is.

Okay because the x's confused me and I thought I had to add them in when using HxD's search feature. I want to hex edit in Benny and Orochi into my Revelation's save file because I killed them or they got themselves killed (Before I could even recruit them.) in my current save file. Also when I use search/find is the datatype supposed to be Hex-values?

Last edited by Natural,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo