Homebrew FCE Ultra GX looks like garbage

scubaslim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just played FCE Ultra GX emulator on the Wii for the first time, and it doesn't look very good. I was playing Bubble Bobble and half the time you can barely see some of the the enemies. The video is very glitchy. I found this to be true in Super Dodge Ball as well. The characters were sometimes missing part of their bodies and constantly flashing.

Is this normal? Would a different NES emulator work better? Thanks!

Gaming4Ever

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kinda weird dont remember that happening with BB.....

Whut version of FCE u have installed?

You might wanna try RetroArch for another NES Emu see if u like that any better.....

Goku Junior

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I just played FCE Ultra GX emulator on the Wii for the first time, and it doesn't look very good. I was playing Bubble Bobble and half the time you can barely see some of the the enemies. The video is very glitchy. I found this to be true in Super Dodge Ball as well. The characters were sometimes missing part of their bodies and constantly flashing.

Strange, I had never get a problem with it, it's a very good emu... use the latest version to see if happend the same, or like Gaming4Ever said, try another emu.

Reactions: FanLuigi

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Is it possible that it's simply emulating the hardware quirks of the NES? Lots of old NES games had flickering due to sprite limitations when a lot of them were on the same scanline.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I just ran it on FCEU GX 3.3.4 and didn't notice anything unusual, though I used a [!] dump, US version. A small bit of flickering, but 4 enemies + the main character were all on the same platform. At any rate, it's probably worth trying RetroArch too.

scubaslim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using version FCEU GX 3.3.4

I guess it could just be the hardware quirks of the NES, but I did just try NesterDc on my dreamcast and the games ran beautifully so I think I will try RetroArch in the near future.

Thanks for all the responses

mrdrunkenjesus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never got into bubble bobble but super dodgeball sprite's flicker bad on a real NES, likely a problem with the games themselves not the emulator

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F