FCE Ultra GX looks like garbage

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by scubaslim, Sep 21, 2014.

1. scubaslim
    OP

scubaslim Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2014
    United States
    I just played FCE Ultra GX emulator on the Wii for the first time, and it doesn't look very good. I was playing Bubble Bobble and half the time you can barely see some of the the enemies. The video is very glitchy. I found this to be true in Super Dodge Ball as well. The characters were sometimes missing part of their bodies and constantly flashing.

Is this normal? Would a different NES emulator work better? Thanks!

2. Gaming4Ever

Gaming4Ever Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2014
    United States
    Kinda weird dont remember that happening with BB.....

Whut version of FCE u have installed?

You might wanna try RetroArch for another NES Emu see if u like that any better.....

3. Goku Junior

Goku Junior GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Strange, I had never get a problem with it, it's a very good emu... use the latest version to see if happend the same, or like Gaming4Ever said, try another emu.

FanLuigi likes this.
  4. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    Is it possible that it's simply emulating the hardware quirks of the NES? Lots of old NES games had flickering due to sprite limitations when a lot of them were on the same scanline.

5. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Try Nestopia Undead on RetroArch, it's a more accurate emulator and runs better too on the Wii, very well optimized.

6. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    I just ran it on FCEU GX 3.3.4 and didn't notice anything unusual, though I used a [!] dump, US version. A small bit of flickering, but 4 enemies + the main character were all on the same platform. At any rate, it's probably worth trying RetroArch too.

7. scubaslim
    OP

scubaslim Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2014
    United States
    I'm using version FCEU GX 3.3.4

I guess it could just be the hardware quirks of the NES, but I did just try NesterDc on my dreamcast and the games ran beautifully so I think I will try RetroArch in the near future.

Thanks for all the responses

8. mrdrunkenjesus

mrdrunkenjesus Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2014
    United States
    Never got into bubble bobble but super dodgeball sprite's flicker bad on a real NES, likely a problem with the games themselves not the emulator