Favourite Cloud Service and Why

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by yusuo, Aug 26, 2012.

?

So which is it

1. Dropbox

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Skydrive

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Google Drive

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. Ubuntu One

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. iCloud

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. Other

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Aug 26, 2012

Favourite Cloud Service and Why by yusuo at 3:24 PM (1,277 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. yusuo
    OP

Member yusuo GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    The question is in the title.

What's your favourite cloud service and why? You know to help out the grand noobians who haven't made the jump into virtual storage

What do you use, ill even have a little poll

Personally I use Dropbox and Google Drive, Dropbox for my college work (as its installed on college computers) and Google Drive for my photos (as I sync contacts, texts and calendar to my google account anyways via android, why not pics as well)

2. weavile001

Member weavile001 Spiritmaster

Brazil
    mediafire

3. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Dropbox ftw. All my cute pictures saved no matter how many times I nuke my hard drive. Victory.

1 person likes this.
  4. yusuo
    OP

United Kingdom
    Mediafire isn't a cloud service, its a public file sharing service, cloud services (usually) install a folder to your pc and sync information saved within that folder, as far as im aware mediafire doesnt do that

5. weavile001

Member weavile001 Spiritmaster

Brazil
    ah,ok
    then skydrive

6. .Chris

Member .Chris Pffft.

United States
    I use Dropbox, and Ubuntu One. Amazing Cloud services, indeed.

7. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    Google Drive for me. Simply because it offers more (3GB more) space than Dropbox and it syncs nicely with all the other google things I use. (Yes I will be happy when everything is inevitably owned by Google :P).

8. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Dropbox is pretty great. I haven't gotten around to using it much, but I'll try to change that once my courses begin.

9. yusuo
    OP

United Kingdom
    You really should, especially with coursework, assignments take hours to do and its always a good idea to have a cloud backup just incase shit goes wrong with your PC.

On another note I just installed Ubuntu 1 (seeing as I dual boot ubuntu anyways) and like the fact that I just got it to monitor my google drive folder, that way I dont have to double the space I use on my hard drive to have my photos backed up on 2 services, and its another 5GB off storage on the net for free

1 person likes this.
  10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    (relatively) Cheap and cheerful multi year package on a web host.

Space larger than most "cloud" services with ultra fine grain access should I deem it necessary via any number of methods rather than nasty web frontend and stupid standalone application.
    Runs one of my email setups
    Can stick anything with php, CGI and mysql and have it run and more (python, perl, other databases and such) if I bother to set up the machine to do more.
    Can SSH into a machine and do something remotely not to mention use it as my frontend for something.

This means I have a photo gallery if I am too lazy to cook up a web page with it on, a music/video player assuming I need it, storage for any random nonsense rendered as a web page, any number of content management options and more.

If I had to actually do something properly though probably something from amazon as they seem to pretty much get it where the others (I have not tried Ubuntu One) are more interested in selling me a branded service for things I have been able to do for years with Microsoft's one probably only being considered by virtue of it kind of being able to be tied to exchange and that is more for clients that have lumped themselves with exchange.

11. warmijwilfaain

Member warmijwilfaain War Mage MILF

United Kingdom
    Dropbox, iCloud and Google Drive are all good (iCloud is the weakest of the lot, but I use it anyway to be able to sync photos and stuff automatically). Dropbox is definitely my favourite of the three.

12. yusuo
    OP

United Kingdom
    Dropbox and Ubuntu1 both sync photos from ios automatically if you tell them to

13. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Google Drive, simply because I like having a shitload of data/stuff linked to my main GMail account. It's so damn handy, incredible sometimes. I have all kinds of spreadsheets and backups on that Google Drive, really pleased with it.
    Dropbox was cool too though, but I prefer Google Drive in the end since I already use Google for so much of my stuff.

14. Blasterblitz

Newcomer Blasterblitz Newbie

Canada
    Dropbox, on all of my devices now :D

15. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    Not to mention the ability to collaborate on documents at the same time.

16. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Gotta love Dropbox. I have it on 3 Android devices and my PC, it's great for sharing apks around on all 3 devices.

17. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Google Drive. I love google's free shiz and how its all integrated with my Google account.

1 person likes this.
  18. Pleng

Member Pleng GBAtemp Maniac

Thailand
    Dropbox. Because it was the first one I heard of and signed up to, and they have given me no reason to change (Same reason I stuck with IE for years, and used Yahoo! for my searches until about 4 years ago)

19. drobb

Member drobb Hunter

United States
    i just wanna know if its possible to have multiple dropboxes running ( the app) on a pc as i have more then one account, a personal one and one i share with a friend. i also have google as well

20. Seven

Member Seven oh hell no

United States
    This, if you're already running on a web host. Rsync and a web server, and you're set.

If you're not running a web server, you're probably looking for a cloud storage program with a fairly intuitive interface. Here's a super helpful comparison of storage services from the Verge. Personally, I use Dropbox for academic purposes and collaboration--Explorer shell integration makes it easy to copy public links and share folders and whatnot. Plus you get more storage expansion over time despite the fact that you start out at 2GB. I've done Dropquest twice, registered with a .edu email, and invited a couple people and I now have 15GB, which is more than what I need for small-scale projects.