Hacking FAT formatted my card, now previously working games won't load

Rogue Cheddar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I FAT formatted (not for the first time) my SD card to play a patched version of Spirit Tracks. Previously, whenever I tried to load the game (patched or unpatched) I got this error message:

[Rom loading failed]
disk errcode=-81
Please reset system.

So like I said, I FAT formatted it, using my mac, which I have done with great success many times before when having similar problems. HOWEVER, now a ton of games that used to work fine are no longer working, giving me the same error message that Spirit Tracks (which now works fine) gave me before the format. I'd like to get these games working again. I'm using YSMenu on what I believe is an original R4. What should I do?

Rogue Cheddar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a 2gb Sandisk. In the dropdown for formatting I selected MS-DOS (FAT), which is the only FAT option, although Disk Utility is telling me that it's FAT-32. Here's a picture of disk utility with the SD card plugged in:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Rogu...at82504AM-1.jpg

It may be worth noting that after formatting, it was very difficult for me to get the backup I had made back onto the card. Every time I tried to copy a folder to it it would say that something was wrong with the data in the folder, so I ended up having to recreate every folder on the card and drop the files into each folder. I have no idea why this happened, and it wasn't even for every folder, just most of them; a few games dragged and dropped on with no problems.

Also, while this may have been an error on my part when I patched the ROM, the notorious train controls in Spirit Tracks are still missing. I am going to try using a pre-patched ROM to see if that makes a difference- it's downloading now. p.s., I'm on a bus, so I may have to start replying from my phone when my battery dies.

addendum: the pre-patched (Xenophobia) Spirit Tracks works fine, train controls and all, so that one was on me. Still, many problems remain.

Rogue Cheddar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright.. So I tried reformatting it and putting everything back on, a couple times, and I was still having the same problem copying the files over. So I stuck it in my girlfriend's pc and formatted it on there, and when I put it back in my mac I STILL had the same problem with copying the files to it. Even worse, now when I try to turn it on it says "SD/TF Card error". So I formatted it with my mac again but I still got that error. THEN I tried putting a fresh copy of YSMenu on it and I am STILL receiving the same error.

WHAT THE HELL.

Man Ik Weet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Perhaps try using a tool to format your card... why did you format it anyway? it should come formatted when u bought it...

Rogue Cheddar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I reformatted it because it wouldn't load spirit tracks.. A problem which was actually solved, if you'll read my first couple posts. The problem was most of my other games then stopped working. A couple posters suggested I format again, and now the card won't work at all. I'm guessing it had something to do with formatting it on windows and then plugging it back into mac and messing with it in that fashion. I am going to try a few different things to fix it.

Does anyone know of a formatting tool for mac?

ivobhz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Man, you failed when you tried to play the cracked spirit tracks with YSmenu. If you use the newest DSTT firmware (1.17a12) with the YSmenu, you can use a clean rom, that works fine.

Rogue Cheddar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I put the DSTT firmware (1.17a12) in there and am copying it over to the SD card again. For some reason the card says it has a 2.03 GB storage capacity; it is a 2GB Sandisk card and I am preeetty sure it had less capacity before I started messing with it.. might this be a problem or am I just crazy?

OK it is official, no matter what I do the card says "SD/TF Card Error". How do I fix this?

Rogue Cheddar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow yeah you know what I happened to have my buddy's Patriot micro sd card lying around so I put my backup on it and voila it works fine.. Zelda works, Moon works, Kingdom Hearts loads but won't load my save file for some reason.. working on testing other games.. I guess I need a new SD card, all that tinkering must have finally done it in. Oh well, thanks for the help everyone.

On a different note, does anyone know how I can get my Kingdom Hearts saves to work again? it loads the save files and then says what day I'm on (anyone who is familiar with the game will know what I'm talking about) but then the screen just fades to black and stays that way. Sometimes I think it would be easier to just start buying games again.. although this way is more interesting at least.

p.s. his card is in FAT16.. before all this crap happened I would have just formatted it to FAT32, but now I'm scared. Is there another option to fix the Kingdom Hearts thing or should I just risk it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one