Fastest way to get backups and saves to new switch?

Discussion in 'Switch - ROM Hacking, Saves, Translations & Tools' started by hexagonlux, Jul 14, 2019.

1. hexagonlux
    OP

hexagonlux Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2019
    United States
    Hello all.

I am trying to migrate my games and saves from and old (unsuable) switch to a new unpatched machine.

I was running hekate/ atmosphere and have still have my microsd intact from the old machine.

I also have nand and keys backups from the old machine (as well as it's emmc) if any of these are helpful.

What is the shortest path to getting my old profile, installed games and saves onto the new switch?

thanks!

2. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Games you have to reinstall, save wise you can export and import into new unit assuming both are running CFW.

Lacius likes this.
  3. hexagonlux
    OP

hexagonlux Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2019
    United States
    Ok. Reinstalling games sounds easy enough. The old switch is no longer functional so I hope the saves are on the microsd card. If they are, whats the best means of exporting and importing?

4. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Save datas are stored on NAND, if it is no longer function you probably won't be able to retrieve it, you can retrieve saves file from recent NAND backup if you got any on hand from the old switch.

5. hexagonlux
    OP

hexagonlux Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2019
    United States
    Understood.

So, what is preventing me from taking the emmc out of the old machine and using it in the new one so that my saves are all there and my keys all match the data on my old microsd?

I have raw nand backups and keys from the old and the new console and am not opposed to rebuilding/ reflashing nand.

6. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Each unit has specific NAND , you can't simply take one eMMC from one unit and expect it to work on the other, it is console specific, if you tried you would just brick and get a blue screen.

7. hexagonlux
    OP

hexagonlux Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2019
    United States
    Ahh the emmc is tied to the motherboard somehow?

8. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Yea it is tied to the motherboard, even if you get a new eMMC for one that has a non working on, you can only restore it if you have a NAND backup from the same board.

9. hexagonlux
    OP

hexagonlux Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2019
    United States
    I see. So what is being used to make sure the data on the sd card is matching the data on the nand? A particular key or keyvault? Can it be edited?

10. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    What exactly is wrong with your first unit?

11. hexagonlux
    OP

hexagonlux Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2019
    United States
    Broken mainboard.

12. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    What you can do is if you can boot up Hekate make a backup of current NAND on it, and try to use hacdiskmount and see if you can retrieve the save.

https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/

13. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    It is good practice to make periodic backups of all important save files using Checkpoint and storing them somewhere online (like Google Drive).

14. hexagonlux
    OP

hexagonlux Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2019
    United States
    The old mainboard wont do anything, unfortunately.

I was able to stick the old emmc into the new switch and dump its contents. I was not able to get BISKEYs from it though.

Hacdiscmount will open the image but beyond that, ive not been able to see its contents.

EDIT: I have the TSEC and SBK keys but cannot get the website to "derive" BIS keys for me. Is there another way to do this?

Thanks!

Last edited by hexagonlux, Jul 16, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted