Fans Petition to have character named after Christina Grimmie in new Zelda game

hqdefault.jpg

Fans of the late Christina Grimmie are petitioning to have a character named after the singer in the upcoming Zelda game, Breath of the Wild. Grimmie was very vocal fan of the Zelda series, frequently tweeting and posting YouTube videos about it.

Her fans have taken to change.org to immortalize the former The Voice contestant. Two petitions have been created with one nearing 60 000 supporters and the other with over 17 000 supporters.

A spokesperson for Nintendo told TIME in a statement, “we are aware of the outpouring of support for her, as well as the petition, but we won’t be making any creative or content decisions in this time of mourning.”

The situation sounds similar to fans' petition to have a Robin Williams tribute in the upcoming Zelda. Only time will tell how/if Nintendo will listen to their fans' plea.

:arrow:SOURCE

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is it okay to pay homage to someone in a video game ?
Of course it is.
There are plenty of belated fans, game creators and such that have had their names incorporated some way or another into a video game.

But the reason all of those are widely accepted is because they were mostly VOLUNTARILY made by the game developers.
It's ultimately the creator of the game who has to decide if he wants to put the name of someone into his creation, and should not be forced upon him.
This is not a community-made game where everyone can vote to put in whatever pleases them.

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All it comes down to here, is grieving fans of an artist who are looking for some way to place a positive note on the memory of a growing artist whose life was cut short. No, Nintendo doesn't have to do anything more than they've already done, and fans will likely be signing that petition in vain. But that's no reason to look down on people who just want something nice to come out of all this. Show a little empathy, y'all.
the difference is that thousands of Nintendo fans don't contribute anything to anybody.
She made song covers and good ones at that, she probably inspired lots of people, had fans and even nintendo found it important to invite her to E3.
Also she was murdered and didn't suicide like Robin. I mean sure Robin deserved it more but making a memorial because of suicide is just weird.
Why do these "celebrities" get a special ticket, an exception? They shouldn't.

Edit: we're people too you know. We give Nintendo and other devs our money. We should all be treated equally.

Last edited by Supster131,

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Zelda isn't superhot in japan so who cares.
lol they care.
and i care, i don't want this to set too much of a precedent, dead people's names popping up in games is just a bit cringy

what happens if some npc in game is called christina already, maybe they should rename them so we don't get the wrong impression that it's a tribute :D

Last edited by cearp,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
All it comes down to here, is grieving fans of an artist who are looking for some way to place a positive note on the memory of a growing artist whose life was cut short. No, Nintendo doesn't have to do anything more than they've already done, and fans will likely be signing that petition in vain. But that's no reason to look down on people who just want something nice to come out of all this. Show a little empathy, y'all.
Reading that the following popped into my head

Though I would rather see a NPC name picked for this than by the random name generator if it means we dodge seeing the some hasty law created and dubbed the Christina Grimmie act.

As for empathy afraid I have been on the internet/around too long for it to apply to some rando.

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------
Is that a valid reason to put someone's name in a game? No.
Never said it's a valid reason. I was simply answering the previous comments and in case other people didn't know about it now they do.

What about Robin Williams? He named his daughter Zelda so if anything, Nintendo should feature him in one of the games either with a memorable quote, statue or what have you. Christina Grimmie wasn't that popular (I think) until some bastard murdered her and by that logic every time a fan dies then Nintendo should include them in a new Zelda game? Oh, come on.

I know I'm being a little cold here but she shouldn't have her own character based on "she was a huge Zelda fan" a lot of people are.

There was a petition for having Robin Williams featured in the next Zelda game as I alluded to at the end of the news piece. Nintendo responded in the following way:

We appreciate the outpouring of support from the gaming community, and hear the request of fans to honor him in a future game. We will not be discussing what might be possible for future games during this difficult time, but we will hold our memories of Robin close.

D

Deleted User

Last time someone was "featured" in a Zelda game was Chris Houlihan in a link to the past. The room was a fail safe room to prevent crashes and not easily to access.
I don't think this person should be in the game.Why does she deserve more than anyone else? Like anyone would know who that was anyway.

D

Deleted User

yeah but he actually won the comp to get in there not a change.org petition

Yep lucky guy, although if i won a competiton that said my name would appear in the next Zelda game and it ended up in that room that hardly anyone knows about I'd feel pretty annoyed.
What kind of a room is that, though? Just filled with rupees and no bed or TV with a SNES?
Chris_Houlihan_Secret_Room.gif

Rupees and a telepathy tile that contains the message. Door leads to outside Link's house.

Blue Lamb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
She started out as a YouTuber whose channel was Zeldalove64. She only reached mainstream popularity after the Voice thing I think. Why is everyone bashing Zelda fans who also like Christina Grimmie? You guys got way heated over naming a character after a fellow fan.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yep lucky guy, although if i won a competiton that said my name would appear in the next Zelda game and it ended up in that room that hardly anyone knows about I'd feel pretty annoyed.

SNIP
Rupees and a telepathy tile that contains the message. Door leads to outside Link's house.

with a name like that no wonder it was well hidden :lol:

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you realize she was murdered last week right? if you do that's about the most tactless post i've ever read on the internet.
Once again, why do "celebrities" get the exception? If one of my family members died, would you give a shit? Probably not. They wouldn't report it on the news nor would I be asking devs left and right to add them in a game.

"My cousin loved Pokemon, so can you add her to Pokemon Sun/Moon?"

Why do people feel so sensitive over stuff that doesn't affect them? Her death will not affect you, you most likely never even knew her before she was murdered.

(I know, I probably sound cold, but it's reality.)

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Once again, why do "celebrities" get the exception? If one of my family members died, would you give a shit? Probably not. They wouldn't report it on the news nor would I be asking devs left and right to add them in a game.

"My cousin loved Pokemon, so can you add her to Pokemon Sun/Moon?"

Why do people feel so sensitive over stuff that doesn't affect them? Her death will not affect you, you most likely never even knew her before she was murdered.

(I know, I probably sound cold, but it's reality.)
i never even heard of her til a week ago, and i don't particularly care now either. but you don't have to give a shit, but you shouldn't act disrespectful either. if you don't care then just ignore everything about it.

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i never even heard of her til a week ago, and i don't particularly care now either. but you don't have to give a shit, but you shouldn't act disrespectful either. if you don't care then just ignore everything about it.
And that's fine. It sucks that she was murdered and my condolences go to her family...

But my point is she doesn't need to be in the Zelda game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/d9wnSq_aP-0?si=T9bdloMD2dGzvnbf