Fans Petition to have character named after Christina Grimmie in new Zelda game

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Prans
    OP

Prans Geek, gamer, human

pip Reporter
    Apr 22, 2012
    There itself.
    hqdefault.jpg
    Fans of the late Christina Grimmie are petitioning to have a character named after the singer in the upcoming Zelda game, Breath of the Wild. Grimmie was very vocal fan of the Zelda series, frequently tweeting and posting YouTube videos about it.

Her fans have taken to change.org to immortalize the former The Voice contestant. Two petitions have been created with one nearing 60 000 supporters and the other with over 17 000 supporters.

A spokesperson for Nintendo told TIME in a statement, “we are aware of the outpouring of support for her, as well as the petition, but we won’t be making any creative or content decisions in this time of mourning.”

The situation sounds similar to fans' petition to have a Robin Williams tribute in the upcoming Zelda. Only time will tell how/if Nintendo will listen to their fans' plea.

:arrow:SOURCE

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    *looks at title*
    Who?
    *reads on*
    "former The Voice contestant"

Haha, classic. Though there is probably something to be said about people caring about reality TV show contestants.

3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The fans should go get bent, who the hell was Christina Grimme, what has she achieved beyond being a fan and why should we commemorate her in any way? God, I hate these worthless petitions.

4. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    change.org...yep it's totally going to work!

5. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    Everyone's life matters, so why is she exulted above them all, and why are "fans" suddenly collecting like a hive mind and petitioning Nintendo?

She was yet another mass manufactured, young pop singer, and she proudly proclaims that she is gay and not ashamed.

I believe I am seeing a pattern here.

If only the youth of our yesterday cared so much about the Native's lot in life. Too late for that though.
    If only the youth of today were less trivial. It's a shame our ancestors have this crap to show for all that those practical folk tried to accomplish.

Last edited by XDel, Jun 23, 2016
  6. Prans
    OP

Prans Geek, gamer, human

pip Reporter
    Apr 22, 2012
    There itself.
    She's the singer who was recently murdered after a concert a couple of days ago.

7. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    Let's go kill ourselves and get people to petition to put us in games ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ /s

Seriously, if people want a certain someone to be in a game, then they can make their own game.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Is that a valid reason to put someone's name in a game? No.

8. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    What about Robin Williams? He named his daughter Zelda so if anything, Nintendo should feature him in one of the games either with a memorable quote, statue or what have you. Christina Grimmie wasn't that popular (I think) until some bastard murdered her and by that logic every time a fan dies then Nintendo should include them in a new Zelda game? Oh, come on.

I know I'm being a little cold here but she shouldn't have her own character based on "she was a huge Zelda fan" a lot of people are.

9. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    uhm she became famous on youtube for her songs covers, some of which are zalda related.
    Reggie said at the begining of the E3 treehouse livestream that she was supposed to be a guest on the stage. Am I the only one who caught that part?

GCNMatt and k3rizz3k like this.
  10. Saiyan Lusitano

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Exactly! This is just another nonsense petition.

tbb043 and Subtle Demise like this.
  11. CHICAGO-lollie

CHICAGO-lollie Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2015
    I don't recall complaints when Gearbox immortalized a late fan as a rare charitable NPC in Borderlands 2. It's a nice gesture, what's with the attitude here?

NEP, RustInPeace and XrosBlader821 like this.
  12. k3rizz3k

k3rizz3k GBAtemp Regular

Oct 16, 2008
    United States
    Lately a lot of people on these forums have been salty. That's all it is.

PF2M, NEP, Xexyz and 2 others like this.
  13. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    Nintendo sounds hesitant, that's why. You can't force a dev to do something they don't want to do.

Besides, what Gearbox did should be the exception and not the norm.

Probably thousands of Nintendo fans die every month, you don't see thousands of petitions saying, "Please put [name] into the new Zelda game because he really loved the series!".
    No. Why do these "celebrities" get a special ticket, an exception? They shouldn't.

Also, read this:

14. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    Exactly!

15. Saiyan Lusitano

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    If Nintendo were to do this, then they would have to do for everyone. Robin Williams would actually have been a great addition to a Zelda game as many know him, in and out of the Zelda community plus he worked with promotional Nintendo content and while at that, he named his daughter Zelda so clearly if anyone were to be included in a Zelda game that'd be RW.

16. VinsCool

VinsCool Disgusted

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    An Alternate Reality
    Oh change.org. Never change.

No offence, I don't imply this is a stupid idea or anything, but if all companies do this, that would be really weird.

17. DKB
    This message by DKB has been removed from public view by Veho, Jun 23, 2016, Reason: Empty post.
    Jun 23, 2016
  18. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I would have no problems if the dev of a game named a character after their newsagent's dead goldfish that they won at a fairground. Petitions started outside a work to have basically a rando that happened to also be a fan added to a work seems so utterly pointless and laughable from where I sit. The hold a contest and get your name in thing from the SNES game seems a more valid thing to do.
    Equally I would have no problems with Nintendo ultimately doing it, I would just hope the motives are pure cynically driven marketing.
    Had to quote that out of context.

19. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    the difference is that thousands of Nintendo fans don't contribute anything to anybody.
    She made song covers and good ones at that, she probably inspired lots of people, had fans and even nintendo found it important to invite her to E3.
    Also she was murdered and didn't suicide like Robin. I mean sure Robin deserved it more but making a memorial because of suicide is just weird.

aidotato5 likes this.
  20. CHICAGO-lollie

CHICAGO-lollie Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2015
    All it comes down to here, is grieving fans of an artist who are looking for some way to place a positive note on the memory of a growing artist whose life was cut short. No, Nintendo doesn't have to do anything more than they've already done, and fans will likely be signing that petition in vain. But that's no reason to look down on people who just want something nice to come out of all this. Show a little empathy, y'all.

RustInPeace and XrosBlader821 like this.
  21. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    They wouldn't do it for Robin Williams. What makes them think that we random singer most people haven't even heard of will get put in the game

Jayro, tbb043, Xiphiidae and 3 others like this.