F2A 256 Help

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Niku, Nov 30, 2007.

Nov 30, 2007

F2A 256 Help by Niku at 11:37 PM (1,036 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Niku
    OP

Newcomer Niku Newbie

United States
    I've got an old Flash2Advance 256 Mbit card that I like because if I put only a single game on it, it acts like a completely normal GBA cart without needing to go through the bootup process or anything. But now I'm having trouble. I want to stick Mother 3 on there, but the cart just doesn't recognize the ability to write the game at all. It acts like it's writing, and pulls up the write screen, but everything stays at 0 and if I turn off the GBA it continues to think it's writing. Other games still write fine. any help?

2. wabo

Member wabo GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    From my experience, a full 256 mbits doesn't fit on the F2A, you have to trim it at least a little bit for it to be written. Since standard gba rom trimmers dont seem to trim any data at all on mother 3, it can be a problem.

My only guess is trying to manually trim some bytes with an hex editor and hope it doesnt screwup the game.

3. Jaejae

Member Jaejae Superfly Don't Used

New Zealand
    AFAIK GBATA has a trimming function, I would suggest it if you cbf hex editing.

4. wabo

Member wabo GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Yes GBATA has a trimming function, i tried trimming mother 3 even before i replied, else i would have just said, trimm it with GBATA [​IMG]

But gbata doesn't want to trimm one single byte on the game.

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Open it up with a hex editor and scroll all the way to the bottom. Perhaps there are a few bytes of garbage data before the rows of FF and/or 00 that indicate trimmable space.

6. Niku
    OP

Newcomer Niku Newbie

United States
    Thanks for the help. I've been trying to trim it with XVI32, but so far I'm unsure of what I can safely trim and what I can't. There's one huge block of 00s, and toward the end a fair amount of number pairs amidsts FF pairs. Trimming a bit of this makes it 255Mb .. but that's not enough alone to fit it on there. Kinda frustrating, since I own the game and mostly am trying to get this to work so I can try and put the romcard board into the Mother 3 casing some day in the future when the translation is done, so I can have an "English copy" of Mother 3.

EDIT: I got it to fit. Awesome. [​IMG] Now I just have to hope once the translation patch comes out, it doesn't use any of the junk I trimmed out ..

7. MarcDK

MarcDK Newbie

did anyone try to fit the patched mother 3 rom on a f2a 256 MBit? What can be trimmed? Can someone help me?