Ezflash 3 in 1 saves?

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by NIZ46, Jul 27, 2010.

Jul 27, 2010

Ezflash 3 in 1 saves? by NIZ46 at 5:44 PM (1,289 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. NIZ46
    OP

Newcomer NIZ46 Member

United Kingdom
    I just got the ezflash 3 in 1 card. I have looked on the forums but have not come across an answer I understand.
    I know there is more than one way to play the games. Nor and sram(i think). I know Nor has the game on the card and sram doesnt. what I want to know is where the game sav files are stored for these methods? And how do you back up your sav files?

Thanks for any help

2. NIZ46
    OP

Newcomer NIZ46 Member

United Kingdom
    I have tried some games in sram or ram and nor modes. When I put my sd card into my pc there is save files for all of them. Does this mean that I dont have to back up any saves manually? Even with the game stored in nor?

3. KidIce

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    What slot 1 card are you using? Are you using something like GBA ExpLoader or the support built into your slot 1 cart?

An EZ5 w/ an EZ 3-in-1 will keep your save in the SRAM in the 3-in-1 until you run something on it from the EZ5 again or write a new game to the 3-in-1, then it will automatically back up your save to the SD in the EZ5. Older kernels had a key combination to force a back up that has since been removed.

If you burn something to the NOR in the 3-in-1 and then boot it as a stand-alone cart (i.e. from the DS(lite) system menu) it will keep your save in SRAM but will not back up your save to the SD in your slot 1 cart.

4. NIZ46
    OP

Newcomer NIZ46 Member

United Kingdom
    I am using an m3 simply card with wood R4(latest version). I am not using GBA Exploader or anything else.

So if I use sram, to get the sav file onto my sd card I just have to start any gba game and it will copy the sav file?

If I use Nor then the sav file can't be copied to my sd card. Is this just in ds menu or is it the same for using my flashcard?

Also, when the battery runs out. Will no saves be made in any mode. Is that right?

5. KidIce

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    SRAM and PSRAM are not the same. SRAM is the battery backed RAM that stores your saves regardless of where you stored the game. PSRAM is the volatile RAM your write games that need to be rewritten to the cart when it is w/o power. It's also the extra RAM Opera and homebrew uses. NOR is the non-volatile flash that you write games to that do not need to be rewritten after you power down.

I'm not sure how Wood handles the EZ 3-in-1 but if it functions like most other offerings it should automatically back up your save from SRAM any time you start a different GBA game or write something new to the 3-in-1. It doesn't matter if you burned to the game to the NOR or wrote it to the PSRAM, the save is still saved in the SRAM and should still be backed up when it needs to be over written for a different games save.

The reason I mention NOR not being backed up is only because you can use the 3-in-1 as a stand alone cart if a game is burned to the NOR. If you boot the 3-in-1 in w/o using a slot-1 cart's menu or ExpLoader or the like (e.g from the DS menu or in a GBA), even if you have a slot-1 cart in your DS it will not back up your save to SD. Of course, you need a slot-1 cart to burn/write anything new to the 3-in-1 and it will back up the save the next time you change games from your slot-1 so your save would be just as safe. You would however need to make sure your save was backed up to SD by booting a different game before storing the save on your PC.

If the battery dies then your saves will be lost as soon as you power down the DS. Since the back-up to SD happens before you run a game from the 3-in-1 (in the instances I've discussed that it does), you will not be able to save from session to session.

Don't fret about the battery too much, in my experience the premature deaths that people keep talking about are exagerated.

6. NIZ46
    OP

Newcomer NIZ46 Member

United Kingdom
    thanks alot KidIce. Your post was very informative and I have got the the hang of this now.