Hardware Hacking GBA EZ Flash Omega DE | GBC on nor possible?

NewHobbyWhoDis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Long story short I’d like to trade between a Pokémon Crystal rom on my EZ Flash Omega Definitive Edition, and a Red cart.

I’m thinking the way to go would be to write to NORFLASH and switch the cart to mode B, then boot the game as a normal cart in my GBA SP; no jagoomba emulation. However there’s the issue of the trigger in the cart slot that tells the console to boot into GB/GBC mode. Before I go taking carts apart:

• Does anyone know if it would be dangerous for any reason to transplant my EZ Flash into a GB cart casing, then run a .gbc rom file from its NOR?
• Do the NORFLASH and connector pins on the EZ Flash function the same way a GBC cart would?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Just want some reassurance that this experiment won’t fry my EZ Flash or the GBA SP (or a GBC or DMG, for that matter).
Thanks.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
• Does anyone know if it would be dangerous for any reason to transplant my EZ Flash into a GB cart casing, then run a .gbc rom file from its NOR?
Very, as GBA carts work at nominal 3.3V and GBC carts work at 5V. I personally doubt the EZ Flash devs have designed the board in a way it could work with 5V so don't try it. The most likely outcome is you'll fry the EZ Flash.

Otherwise, the GBA in GBC mode natively executes with the CGB cpu and understands CGB instructions. Even if operable (which is not), the EZ Flash OS will not boot as CPU cannot understand it and you wouldn't be able to read SD nor anything yet alone booting a game.

• Do the NORFLASH and connector pins on the EZ Flash function the same way a GBC cart would?

Nope.

---
Get a second system and a cable. Its cheaper and safer.

Reactions: NewHobbyWhoDis

NewHobbyWhoDis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Very, as GBA carts work at nominal 3.3V and GBC carts work at 5V. I personally doubt the EZ Flash devs have designed the board in a way it could work with 5V so don't try it. The most likely outcome is you'll fry the EZ Flash.

Otherwise, the GBA in GBC mode natively executes with the CGB cpu and understands CGB instructions. Even if operable (which is not), the EZ Flash OS will not boot as CPU cannot understand it and you wouldn't be able to read SD nor anything yet alone booting a game.

Nope.

---
Get a second system and a cable. Its cheaper and safer.
Not the answer I was hoping for, but just the info I needed. Thank you.
I do have multiple systems but not a link cable, just want to see what (if anything) I can do before buying a link cable and cart flasher.

NewHobbyWhoDis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
GBA carts and GBC carts operate in fundamentally different ways. It's not just the physical switch, the pins have different assignments in GBA and GBC cartridges. This won't work.
Ah I was almost certain this was the case, thank you for your reply. I'm not too knowledgeable in cart hardware yet but now would be a good time to learn I guess!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Coffee flavored ice cream inside of your coffee