Hacking EZ Flash Junior GBC issues ("Micro SD initial error!")

ddevault

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen a few threads about this, but it's been a while since they've been updated. Here's what's happening, and what I've tried to fix it.

When I boot up my GameBoy Color, "EZ-FLASH" is displayed, then "LOADING...", and finally "Micro SD initial error!" My GameBoy has model no. "CGB-001" written on the back. I have also tried with my GameBoy Advance SP, model no. "AGS-001", with the same results.

I have tried:

• Three different microSD cards - two SanDisk 8G, and one SanDisk "Ultra Plus" 16G.
  • Formatting as FAT32, FAT32 with a 32-bit sector size, exFAT, exFAT with a 32-bit sector size, and I have tried all of these combinations both with and without a MBR partition on the microSD card.
  • Both the kernel which was recommended by the documentation which came with the product (2020-01-04), and the latest kernel (2020-03-10). I verified the SHA-1 sum of both kernel versions.

I am using brand-new AA batteries.

In one of the other threads I found, it said that the manufacturers had found a GameBoy motherboard which is able to reproduce this problem. Has there been any progress on this?

ddevault

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: I must have missed some combination of filesystem, SD card, and console. I was able to get my GBA to boot it up with a specific configuration:
  • 16G SanDisk Ultra Plus
  • exFAT 32 w/32K sector size
  • GameBoy Advance: SP
This works normally. I also applied a firmware update, and now the version screen shows firmware FW4 K1.04E.

However, plugging the cartridge into my GBC still shows the same problem, even after the firmware update.

Narthe

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello !
i just bought my EZ Flash Jr. and was having the same issue as @ddevault . However the FW5 kernel still doesn't work for me.
I'm using a microSDXC card, could this be an issue ? I also tried with the FW4 kernel and i have the same issue.
I'm using brand new batteries.
Should i check if my CGB model is CPU NON-SUFFIX ? What can i do ?
Thank you.

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Hello !
i just bought my EZ Flash Jr. and was having the same issue as @ddevault . However the FW5 kernel still doesn't work for me.
I'm using a microSDXC card, could this be an issue ? I also tried with the FW4 kernel and i have the same issue.
I'm using brand new batteries.
Should i check if my CGB model is CPU NON-SUFFIX ? What can i do ?
Thank you.

EZ-FLASH Junior only supports SDHC. 4GB-32GB.

burgoyne

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting the same error on my GBC. I will test on 2 other GBC later today when I get them out of storage. On a DMG it just stays at the "Loading..." indicator (tried on 3 different DMG's).

I am using a 16GB SanDisk Ultra SDHC and Kernel 1.04e and Firmware 4.

Any suggestions?

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I'm getting the same error on my GBC. I will test on 2 other GBC later today when I get them out of storage. On a DMG it just stays at the "Loading..." indicator (tried on 3 different DMG's).

I am using a 16GB SanDisk Ultra SDHC and Kernel 1.04e and Firmware 4.

Any suggestions?

FAT32, 32KB file allocation unit size.

Reactions: DoctorBagPhD

burgoyne

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAT32, 32KB file allocation unit size.
Yess, I have now used two different 16GB SDHC cards and formatted them as such.

I pulled another Gameboy Color out of storage, and this one will stay at the "Loading..." message just like the DMG's I tested. The first CGB I tested still gives the SD error.

I am now using Update_FW5.gb that was posted in the thread linked above.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yess, I have now used two different 16GB SDHC cards and formatted them as such.

I pulled another Gameboy Color out of storage, and this one will stay at the "Loading..." message just like the DMG's I tested. The first CGB I tested still gives the SD error.

I am now using Update_FW5.gb that was posted in the thread linked above.

I just tried a third SD card. 8GB Kingston SDHC and formatted it properly. This one is working...

Ninjixel

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had this error initially, and it was down to how the micro sd card was formatted. I'm using Mac OS X, and it seems Apple's standard Disk Utility app can't do it correctly (even though you have the option of ExFat/Fat32). I found this article very helpful, but you have to not mind using the terminal ;). Good luck!

Ok, I don't seem to be allowed to post links to external websites here, but if you search on superuser[dot]com for "Format USB Drive with FAT on Mac with different Allocation Unit Size" you'll find it.

Itz_angus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting the same issue, the "Micro SD Initial Error!" and I've tried everything in my power to fix it. I've tried both the FW4 and FW5 Kernels. I've tried new Batteries, reformatting the SD card more times than I can count, I made sure it was MBR and not GPT, and I made sure it was recognized as primary and not logical. The only solution left that I can think of is a different micro sd card, which I do not have, or replacing the flashcart. Do you have any other suggestions?

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I'm getting the same issue, the "Micro SD Initial Error!" and I've tried everything in my power to fix it. I've tried both the FW4 and FW5 Kernels. I've tried new Batteries, reformatting the SD card more times than I can count, I made sure it was MBR and not GPT, and I made sure it was recognized as primary and not logical. The only solution left that I can think of is a different micro sd card, which I do not have, or replacing the flashcart. Do you have any other suggestions?

what console are you using? is it a GB Colour clone?

Itz_angus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
then what is the size of your sd card? which you did not mention in your post. and the format type and file allocation unit size.

Jr needs 4-32GB sd, FAT32 and 32 KB file allocation unit.
It's 32gb, FAT32, with a 32kb file allocation, I've ordered a 16gb micro sd that is faster to see if that may resolve the issue. The current one is quite old, so the contacts may be damaged due to usage. Supposing this doesn't work, and you have no other possible solutions, could I contact you to get a replacement flashcart?

Last edited by Itz_angus,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...