Hacking Extracting Unknown File Types (Vita Visual Novel)

tnpj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I just created my account here, so please bear with me. I'm trying to extract the scripts of a Japanese visual novel I'm tying to translate into English, but every single game file seems to have the same the same file type (.rom).

As far as I know, this is a proprietary extension, and from looking at some hex editors, the files are compressed. I am aware of the rules here, so I will not upload any of the files, so for what it's worth, I've attached a screenshot of what the 'script' file looks like in MadEdit.

I've looked at countless romhacking guides and tutorials, and I've gained an inkling of an understanding of the subject, but in terms of dealing with compressed and/or encrypted files I'm at a complete loss.

Would someone kindly push me in the right direction? I am a complete novice at romhacking (I just want to translate!), but I am willing to learn. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• hexeditexample.jpg
    hexeditexample.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 357

tnpj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you have to change the encoding from ShiftJIS to one of the unicode types.
That was literally the first thing I tried. The file is compressed, so doing this changes nothing.

Apart from the garbled text, there are lines like these (refer to uploaded image) throughout the script file. I have no clue as to what I'm supposed to do with it, though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 263

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I mean, the way you described it made it seem like it itself was a script, not that it was an archive. You're gonna have to find someone who can reverse engineer the format to extract the files.

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommend looking on Zenhax forums, or Xentax (though Xentax is paid).
Zenhax is the QuickBMS home site, and Luigi responds to threads pretty quickly.

tnpj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zenhax was extremely helpful. Thank you! Unfortunately, I am still unable to extract the scripts, but at least I'm making some progress :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: damn @SylverReZ , when the last time you seen and felt grass? +1