Extracting save from installed CIA

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Killaclown, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Killaclown
    OP

Killaclown GBAtemp Regular

Feb 13, 2015
    Norway
    Hey! Is there any way to extract the saves from installed games? My sysnand was accidentally formated and all installed games and homebrew were lost. Restoring the NAND backups I have worked fine, but didnt restore the games to the homescreen, so I guess I only have a backup of my older NAND's or something. I have the games still installed on my SD card (as in they are there taking up space, but I cant access them for some reason), so is there any way I can extract the saves from them, remove the space they are taking, reinstall the games so they actually show up on my homescreen and are playable, and then injecting the saves back? Even if it's a tedious process any help here is extremely appreciated as beginning from the start on all the RPG's would be pretty horrible.

2. vinstage

vinstage Zero Fucks Given

Jan 24, 2017
    United Kingdom
    You can try a savemanager via homebrew. JK's is a commonly used one.

I mean, it'll basically extract your save onto the root of your SD then you just inject it into your 3DS.

Killaclown likes this.
  3. mohdsaher

mohdsaher GBAtemp Regular

Jan 14, 2017
    United States
    yeah that would work

4. Killaclown
    OP

Feb 13, 2015
    Norway
    Tried that, but unfortunately it only shows the saves from the CIA's of my current NAND :/ So the issue is that the I cant extract saves from the games that were installed before the format, but that are still on my SD. I dont get how the game/save system works, the files are on my card, but the entire 3DS seems completely oblivious to them all.

5. vinstage

Jan 24, 2017
    United Kingdom
    I mean, other than what I suggested I have no idea. I'm sure there's a solution somewhere though.

6. Killaclown
    OP

Feb 13, 2015
    Norway
    Yeah, seems like your solution is pretty close, just need it to find the other files on my SD I guess. I hope so, pretty sad if the files get completely unrecoverable.

7. vinstage

Jan 24, 2017
    United Kingdom
    I'm fairly sure it'll get solved. It doesn't seem too complex as the save files still EXIST. I might be wrong though,

8. mohdsaher

Jan 14, 2017
    United States
    try using tikshop to redownload them then maybe you could extract the save

Killaclown likes this.
  9. Killaclown
    OP

Feb 13, 2015
    Norway
    I tried reinstalling the tickets, but it somehow handles it like it's a new game instead of finding my existing game files/saves.

10. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Then the backup doesn't have the tickets for those games, you'll have to reinstall them (if you installed them directly or via cia, but using titlekeys, just use a ticket downloader; if you installed them from a cia which you still have, use devmenu to "reinstall" which will recognize them already being extracted)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You must have formatted your console between the creation of the backup and the installation of the games (or the tickets you installed are not matching the ones that you used to play the games, very likely if you got the tickets from titlekeys and the software from junk-grade forums)

Killaclown likes this.
  11. mohdsaher

Jan 14, 2017
    United States
    you should use that 3ds title key site with something like free shop or ciaangel to get your games back or use fbi and scan the qr codes that the site can make.

Killaclown likes this.
  12. Killaclown
    OP

Feb 13, 2015
    Norway
    Seems like this is the likely scenario, is there anything I can do? If the installed games are just deadweight with no possibility to restore saves/game, how do I remove them to free up space? I think it's around 8gb of installed games that take up a lot of space, but I don't know how to safely delete them/where they would be located.

13. mohdsaher

Jan 14, 2017
    United States
    I think you can just uninstall them using fbi

14. Killaclown
    OP

Feb 13, 2015
    Norway
    I actually used Freeshop to install most of my games, but when I tried to "reinstall" one of the games I previously used, it downloaded the whole thing and started whole new save games. I don't know if it overwrote my old savegames or what happened, but I only tried it with a game that I don't really care much about just in case.

15. mohdsaher

Jan 14, 2017
    United States
    I think you saves are looong gone. :mellow:

so there is no point in not reinstalling the games

but just in case you should wait for other people that possible know better than me.

16. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Use decrypt9/maintenance/systeminfo to figure out which folder under Nintendo 3DS is active, then delete the others!

Killaclown likes this.
  17. mohdsaher

Jan 14, 2017
    United States
    That could also work

But I find that FBI is a simpler method

18. Rune

Rune Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2017
    If the 3DS cant see the saves, and reinstalling the game brings up a fresh save, how do you even know the old saves are still there somewhere on the 3DS?

19. mohdsaher

Jan 14, 2017
    United States
    BTW do you have a band backup before all of this happend if you do then restore using it and back up all you saves

He can see the games are on his SD card but he can't access them even using jk save manager

20. Rune

Rune Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2017
    Ah ok. I understand. How about moving all the folders for the games off of the SD card and onto a computer, then reinstall the games again using .cia's, then moving the folders from the computer back onto the SD card, which I imagine would overwrite the newly installed game data plus transfer over any old saves?