Misc Extracted Virtual Console GBA rom hashes don't match

Leatherhide

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm using CFW on my New 3DS and I ripped some virtual console GBA roms by following GlazedHex rom dumping guide. None of the rom hashes are known in the Dat-o-matic database however. Is there a fix for this?

Reactions: SylverReZ

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the ripping method known to work? I mean unless they the original rom data inside the VC releases, i don't think it's supposed to work.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't put too much stock in this if the game works. you can hex compare the files or even better would be hashtab, where it will tell you the checkum of the game.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Leatherhide

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I opened the extracted Mario Kart Super Circuit in a hex editor as well as my ripped cart rom and they appear to be identical except for at the very end. It looks like Nintendo added a footer. I deleted the data at the end in the hex editor so it matches the rom I ripped from the cart and saved it as a new file, yet when I calculate the hash, it has changed but does not match the rom from my cart.

The start and end look exactly the same in the hex view now. Maybe there is something different anywhere between the beginning and end of the data but I don't know how to be sure.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I opened the extracted Mario Kart Super Circuit in a hex editor as well as my ripped cart rom and they appear to be identical except for at the very end. It looks like Nintendo added a footer. I deleted the data at the end in the hex editor so it matches the rom I ripped from the cart and saved it as a new file, yet when I calculate the hash, it has changed but does not match the rom from my cart.

The start and end look exactly the same in the hex view now. Maybe there is something different anywhere between the beginning and end of the data but I don't know how to be sure.
you can do a hex compare in HxD.
Post automatically merged:

1671298427935.png

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. I just did exactly that and discovered parts of the rom are indeed different. I guess the virtual console GBA roms are really different.
check if it works. they don't necessarily have to be the same checksum as a lot of emulators ignore it, even if they sad bad checksum, they'll still boot. I was able to fix all nes/snes games for my minis, even though it's not needed, but patched final fantasy v had a bad checksum, since it was patched to English, but it didn't prevent the game from booting.

Leatherhide

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
check if it works. they don't necessarily have to be the same checksum as a lot of emulators ignore it, even if they sad bad checksum, they'll still boot. I was able to fix all nes/snes games for my minis, even though it's not needed, but patched final fantasy v had a bad checksum, since it was patched to English, but it didn't prevent the game from booting.
I can confirm that they boot in emulator. It's just that I love building my own personal legitimate rom archive, so I really want my roms to be bit perfect copies. Aside from GBA, I also dumped the GB game Pokemon Red Version and its hash matches that of the cartridge.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm that they boot in emulator. It's just that I love building my own personal legitimate rom archive, so I really want my roms to be bit perfect copies. Aside from GBA, I also dumped the GB game Pokemon Red Version and its hash matches that of the cartridge.
not sure. is the gba version the one with the .m archive? that may be the wiiu, just can't remember, but I have extracted a rom, and it worked fine in an emulator.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the VC versions have dim lighting in comparison to the original versions, the data/info has to be written within the rom..

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the VC versions have dim lighting in comparison to the original versions, the data/info has to be written within the rom..
iirc, the dim lighting is an xml file. there's a tutorial on here somewhere, probably from @Vague Rant . you can increase the brightness, but afaik or remember you have to decrypt the .m file to modify it. I think the rom is separate, and written with numbers or something. I did this once or twice.
Post automatically merged:

here it is:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/remove-the-dark-filter-from-wii-u-gba-vc-titles.601290/

Reactions: CoolMe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: That boi burning up, gonna melt those snowflakes.