External MircoSD for N3DS mod?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Kawaii, May 24, 2015.

1. Kawaii
    OP

Kawaii GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2015
    New Zealand
    Not near you
  2. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    Could work, but I wouldn't want stuff dangling personally. Once you've done the initial setup, just transfer stuff wirelessly with the built-in microsd manager or ftpbrony.

3. Kawaii
    OP

Kawaii GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2015
    New Zealand
    Not near you
    my ftp transfer rate is like 500kb-1mb/s via MicroSD management which is way too slow. its good for small files but not for cia games
    it that the normal speed to be expected from ftp?

4. Zerousen

Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

GBAtemp Patron
    Zerousen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 30, 2009
    United States
    Yes. Instead, look up "3ds microsd management cia" on Google. It's much faster.

5. foolalay

foolalay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2015
    United States
    You could probably add a door/flap to the back plate for easy access. I'm pretty sure Nintendo sells replacements and it's easy to get lower plates for the smaller sized ones.

6. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    well, that is only needed if you don't have access to the original in system settings because you downgraded system settings for the mset hack.
    if you are going to boot up emunand or whatever you want, so you are in a hacked environment that would be able to run this application, then just run the real system settings.
    i think you can't exit out of it properly, so there is no much benefit (if so)

7. NicEXE

NicEXE GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2009
    Cyprus
    This only works on Windows. I don't know what kind of SMB protocol they use but I couldn't get it working on Linux or OS X

8. Kawaii
    OP

Kawaii GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2015
    New Zealand
    Not near you
    i have been using that a while now. that's the speed that i mentioned

9. Zerousen

Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

GBAtemp Patron
    Zerousen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 30, 2009
    United States

My bad, I thought you were using a client such as WinSCP for FTP. Yeah, I get around 800kb/1mbps, and as far as I know it's the fastest way wirelessly.

It's actually been fixed, somewhat. You just go back to the home menu and an error popup is shown, though there isn't any actual problem.

10. TylerHartman

TylerHartman GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2015
    United States
    Should Work If you Can Make It Look Neat I Would Go For It!

11. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    I really do t get why everyone has a problem with the bottom plate. The first 5-6 times taking the plate off is a pain but after that I don't even need the stylus to pry it off my fingernail works fine and it is very loose on all 3 of my N3DSs. I am always at my desk when I do it because the only reason to access it is to plug it into the PC. I just keep a 0 or 00 screw driver in my pen caddy. It takes no time at all. If I am trying some new exploit or something I just leave it off until I am all done.

A whole set of little scredrivers is only a couple of bucks at the dollar store or Harbor Freight. I keep a set on every floor in my house so changing batteries on toys is not a big ordeal.

I can pop that thing out and transfer a file long before one can get the damn thing to show up on network connections on the PC for a wireless transfer. If the screws didn't have the retainer clips I would understand the frustration.

Seriously this is all such a non issue.

12. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Yeah the obvious solution would be getting a replacement back cover and cutting a hole in it so you can access the mSD holder.......would probably look neater and be more practical than having a ribbon cable hanging out of the 3ds

13. DarkKaine

DarkKaine GBAtemp Regular

Dec 1, 2014
    Netherlands
    I got that idea some time ago.
    https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod560313
    This is the only place you'll be able to get them, and they don't ship to my country. Sol

14. kamesenin888

kamesenin888 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 20, 2007
    what i do is that i keep the screws loose so i can detach the plate when needed, the msdata management only works mostly for savedatafiler files :P but now it stopped working for me the mod forthe lower plate would be a good idea

15. luney

luney GBAtemp Fan

Aug 30, 2006
    United States
    I say, if you can make it look nice, I would absolutely do it. I may look for one of those myself. If you can mount the socket and make it look OEM, it will be awesome. If you decide to do this, please keep us updated as far as your progress with it. I would love to see some pictures so that I could try it myself. Thanks.

16. StaticPain

StaticPain GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2014
    United States
    California
  17. dkabot

dkabot Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own

Sep 9, 2014
    United States
  18. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Tbh it don't think it would work as that adapter is very broad, and the n3ds has a recess for the mSD card.....so the broad section wouldn't be able to fit in without some degree of bending the board, which could just snap it.....also logically it doesn't make sense as to have that poking out the back, you couldn't have the back cover on, which defeats the purpose of having it as you could just leave the back off to access it anyway if you where going to do that