External HD Frustration

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by filthyorgans, Jul 23, 2010.

Jul 23, 2010

External HD Frustration by filthyorgans at 3:17 AM (1,112 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. filthyorgans
    OP

Newcomer filthyorgans Newbie

United States
    Hello everyone! Thanks in advance for the help! I search the pages but couldn't find anything specific to my situation. I have a wii that i've had since system launch, and I have used this guide to modify MANY wii's with 100% success... untill now [​IMG]. My friend has a wii with a serial lu39. I followed this guide to a t like i have many times before to modify his wii and there are 2 problems. First, it cannot read burnt backups. The bigger problem, i set up his external 2t hd and i get black screens when i try to load any game. I put in wii sports and it asked to install and it did in under 2 mins, but when i clicked the game to play it, black screen. Here's a real pain; i plugged in the hd to my wii and ran it with the usbloader gx and it played just fine! No problems. Here's another kick; after the hd was giving his wii black screens i was like hmmm... so i took an sd card put it in an adapter, formatted it to wbfs (not the fatwbfs or whaterver) plugged it in the back of his wii ran usbloader gx, installed wii sports, and it worked perfect. my first thought right away was incopatable hd, but it worked on my wii no problems. i'm stumped, guys. I re-hacked it and still no go. I scoured the interweb and could find nothing. I didn't think I'd have to do anything different after using this guide cause it worked for every other 20+wiis ive used this guide on. Thanks for the help everyone! I'll try to respond quick ive been doing this for days now and tried very hard on my own before starting new topic. Thanks again!

2. burritoboy9984

Member burritoboy9984 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The guide at the top of this forum?

-Erik

3. filthyorgans
    OP

United States
    you betcha [​IMG]. ive been using it since it came out as it was being changed and updated and it always worked. zero rocks!

4. fairlyevenparents

Member fairlyevenparents GBAtemp Fan

United States
    What USB loader are you trying use on the wii your softmodding and what's the HD formatted to?

Edit: Can you give us more info on what CIOS versions you installed too.

5. air2004

Member air2004 Air

United States
    if the right cios isnt installed on ur wii , you will always get a black screen , or a ret-001 error .... I found that out the hard way when I installed an updated mios of the uloader prog ...kept getting the error , then I installed mios it was looking for and the problem was solved

Posts merged

ur HD has to be formatted with WBFS by the way

6. fairlyevenparents

Member fairlyevenparents GBAtemp Fan

United States
    He could also format his HD to FAT32 or NTFS, but I prefer FAT32 [​IMG]

7. filthyorgans
    OP

United States
    how do I know if i have the right cios installed? how can i tell you what it is? and yes it is wbfs formatted theres already games on it [​IMG]
    ~thanks

8. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    it sounds like you did not remove the stubbed ios's. get a simple wad file, like a forwarder wad or something like that and try to install it using any wad manager out there using 249 as the ios to install with. if you get an error, you know the problem, you'll need to remove the stubs and install the proper files.

i'm pretty sure one of the programs, maybe dop-mii or MMM will let you know if your 222/223/224/249/250 are stubbed.

9. filthyorgans
    OP

United States
    ok thank you i will do that right now!

10. filthyorgans
    OP

United States
    ok hello again all! i used mmm to install a snes channel and i used 249 v19. and i also went to remove stubbed ioss and i pick the first one222 223 249 250 254. it said none found. thanks again!

and oh yea sorry im using usb loader gx as a channel. same exact results with a .dol.

11. ocdetective

Member ocdetective GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Malaysia
    Its not an IOS problem based on the fact you were able to play Wii Sports via the SD card on the same system. That would suggest to me a configuration problem - is it a forwarder channel you are using? If so have you tried clearing the GX config files located on the sd card?

12. filthyorgans
    OP

United States
    everybody thank you for your help! it was a simple mistake. i assumed the default settings would be the same in usbloader gx, but when i compared them the settengs were all the same excetp the boot. mine was 222 his was 249. i changed his to 222 and it works! Thanks again i learned a lot!
    ~filthyorgans