Hacking Extended explanation of what keys.bin is?

Rummy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I kinda fudged my Wii up a bit I think(but that isn't what this is about), which prompted me to restore to an old NAND backup I made in BootMii, now that I've finally got my HBC and stuff back, and I'm on 4.2 with a new internet channel, I decided to do another NAND backup, only this time I notice a file called keys.bin, and either I del'd it from the last backup, or it was never there, but I'm just here out of curiousity more than anything else, so basically, can anybody give me a bit of an explanation of what keys.bin is? If it WAS in the original backup and I didn't have it for some reason or what? I tried searching for similar posts, but there wasn't much actual explanation of what keys.bin is? Where does it come from, is it Wii unique? As I said, I'm just curious, really, but thanks for any info you guys can provide
smile.gif

nash79

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last versions of Bootmii, saves the WII keys on the SD card everytime u use it. These are the WII's private keys that ull need to jealously keep safely
smile.gif

Nothing to worry about
smile.gif

Rummy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Private keys? But what are these keys and what do they do? Key for some sort of encryption? I'm curious about its nature, where it comes from, if it's wii specific, and that. Surely there must be info on it? Everywhere I look, it's just mentioned as being deftly important but nobody seems to actually say anything about it and it makes me all the more motivated to learn about it!

grubbymitts

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think:
There's a common key and a private key. The Wii uses them both to decrypt the programs running. The common key was discovered and is the same for everyone so is easily decrypted. The private key is created by each individual Wii and therefore next to impossible.

I may be wrong, I've not been following the hacking so much recently.

Rummy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahhh, so it's encryption related(something I know rather little about). Interesting, I'm guessing this is how they identify specific Wiis, and more importantly, copy protect their VC stuff?

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Rummy said:
Ahhh, so it's encryption related(something I know rather little about). Interesting, I'm guessing this is how they identify specific Wiis, and more importantly, copy protect their VC stuff?

Exactly. Read this bushing's post from HackMii: http://hackmii.com/2008/04/keys-keys-keys/. Maybe that helps you know some things about those keys,
biggrin.gif

Rummy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, alot went over my head, but looks interesting, shedded some light on things for me, thanks for the link!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its beer:30 here...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I think I have a sore throat (or diphtheria)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry to hear, gargle some salt water
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i did that in the morning but with vinegar
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hey guys.
    +2
  • Brohann @ Brohann:
    anyone here know how to use METEO?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It's very simple.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Meteo is like an AVI-to-GBA converter. Just drag-and-drop your AVI file in, and then convert.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, like those gba carts that have movies and tv episodes in them?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But Nintendo's GBA video format is different, being that it uses a custom ROM and chipset for rendering, for like the Shrek and Shark Tale titles. Been undumpable for years and years.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Meteo uses it's own player.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, those roms are dumped currently, right?
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although it's kinda pointless to download them anyway since you get the movies in horrible quality
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Yep, they are now, but it took a shit ton of RE'ing.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RE = reverse engineering
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, can you remind me what reverse engineering meant pls?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Reverse engineering, to put it simply, is to understand how the software or hardware was made.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol someone tried using my email to log into Nintendo
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, is that through trial and error sometimes?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, did you enter any sus site?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Nah. He "Entered the Dragon" looking for Bruce
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Nah. He "Entered the Dragon" looking for Bruce +1