Hacking Experiencing a few problems on SC DSTwo

Verack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently got a DSTwo, and I'm absolutely loving it, but I seem to be having two very weird problems.

Mainstream Pokemon games (like HG/SS, and B/W) are having some nasty slow downs in the menus (looking a pokemon's stats, the bag, the dex, and so on). The game itself runs perfectly smooth, but those menus seem to be bugged. I first thought it was due to my new 32Gb SD card, as opposed to my old 8Gb. I ran a test on about 60 or so games, and all of them were loading and running faster than when I was using the 8Gb card (the exception to this is KH 358/2, but it's only the "bling" sound effect sounding all static-ish when you first load a file).
This problem also seems to happen in a few other select games, but it's far more minor (such as in pokemon mystery dungeon sky, the sound test is a bit slow at first). I'm most likely guessing it's due to the card being a 32Gb, as I've been told this happens with larger SD cards.

My other problem seems to be that clean mode refuses to work. Whenever I try to launch a game in clean mode, I get two white or two black screens. I'm guessing this may be due to runnign games that are patched (translations) or due to being trimmed. Is there a list of specific requirements in order to run a game in clean mode?

Verack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thankfully I didn't pay for this SD card. I just tested all this stuff out on my 8Gb card, and clean mode and the problematic games are working fine.

What I find confusing is that the 32Gb card is a Sandisk speed class 2, and the 8Gb is a Sandisk speed class 2. I would presume that the 32Gb card would be of decent quality due to being Sandisk and being exactly identical to the 8Gb card, minus the size. Either way, I thankfully still have the packaging of said SD card, and can have it returned if needed. Is it a possibility that only this particular card is faulty, and that I could return it for another? If not, I always have a Sandisk 16Gb class 6 I could try using instead.

aiRWaLKRe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For flashcards I find the class 6 do the best job as far as speed goes, I wont use anything lower for any flashcard. I have yet to try a class 10 but then again it should work just as good if not a tad better

Verack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to check a card's read speed and latency? As I can't seem to find anything on the SD card's box.

EDIT: I used a program called HD Tach to get the following results:

32Gb Sandisk, class 2

Random access: 4.6ms
Avg read: 3.6MB/s
------------------------------

8Gb Sandisk, class 2

Random access: 2.3ms
Average read: 4.3MB/s

I presume this stuff is the latency and read speeds?

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dear god, that's horrible through put! Are you using a reader/port that doesn't support USB 2.0? The cards in my carts average ~14MB read speeds and .8ms access times and they're AData and Transcend (marginal brands in my experience). They are rated as class 6 though.

Verack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I did those tests through the USB adapter that came with the dstwo. Is there a way to get a more accurate test?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Newer Sandisk class 2 cards are much worse than earlier ones. Before I took it back, the new 16GB Sandisk card I got had about half the read speed of the one I bought just a year ago for my phone. Both are Sandisk brand Class 2 16GB cards yet the old one had over 16mb/sec read speed while the new one had less than 10. My guess is that they are making the read speeds worse to save money, as technically a card can be any class even if it can only read one byte per century (yes, as in 1kb/thousand years).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs