Experiencing a few problems on SC DSTwo

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Verack, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Verack
    OP

Verack GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2010
    United States
    I recently got a DSTwo, and I'm absolutely loving it, but I seem to be having two very weird problems.

Mainstream Pokemon games (like HG/SS, and B/W) are having some nasty slow downs in the menus (looking a pokemon's stats, the bag, the dex, and so on). The game itself runs perfectly smooth, but those menus seem to be bugged. I first thought it was due to my new 32Gb SD card, as opposed to my old 8Gb. I ran a test on about 60 or so games, and all of them were loading and running faster than when I was using the 8Gb card (the exception to this is KH 358/2, but it's only the "bling" sound effect sounding all static-ish when you first load a file).
    This problem also seems to happen in a few other select games, but it's far more minor (such as in pokemon mystery dungeon sky, the sound test is a bit slow at first). I'm most likely guessing it's due to the card being a 32Gb, as I've been told this happens with larger SD cards.

My other problem seems to be that clean mode refuses to work. Whenever I try to launch a game in clean mode, I get two white or two black screens. I'm guessing this may be due to runnign games that are patched (translations) or due to being trimmed. Is there a list of specific requirements in order to run a game in clean mode?

2. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    It's all because the card you bought sucks.

The read speed and latency matter, and yours sucks, sorry.

3. Verack
    OP

Verack GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2010
    United States
    Thankfully I didn't pay for this SD card. I just tested all this stuff out on my 8Gb card, and clean mode and the problematic games are working fine.

What I find confusing is that the 32Gb card is a Sandisk speed class 2, and the 8Gb is a Sandisk speed class 2. I would presume that the 32Gb card would be of decent quality due to being Sandisk and being exactly identical to the 8Gb card, minus the size. Either way, I thankfully still have the packaging of said SD card, and can have it returned if needed. Is it a possibility that only this particular card is faulty, and that I could return it for another? If not, I always have a Sandisk 16Gb class 6 I could try using instead.

4. aiRWaLKRe

aiRWaLKRe GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Orlando
    For flashcards I find the class 6 do the best job as far as speed goes, I wont use anything lower for any flashcard. I have yet to try a class 10 but then again it should work just as good if not a tad better

5. Rydian

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Class is WRITE speed.

What matters for flash carts is read speed and latency.

6. EJames2100

EJames2100 GBAtemp Fan

May 9, 2008
    England
    True but most branded Class 6 Cards provide all 3 features quite well.

7. Verack
    OP

Verack GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2010
    United States
    Is there a way to check a card's read speed and latency? As I can't seem to find anything on the SD card's box.

EDIT: I used a program called HD Tach to get the following results:

32Gb Sandisk, class 2

Random access: 4.6ms
    Avg read: 3.6MB/s
    ------------------------------

8Gb Sandisk, class 2

Random access: 2.3ms
    Average read: 4.3MB/s

I presume this stuff is the latency and read speeds?

8. KidIce

KidIce Smart Ass

Dec 22, 2005
    United States
    Dear god, that's horrible through put! Are you using a reader/port that doesn't support USB 2.0? The cards in my carts average ~14MB read speeds and .8ms access times and they're AData and Transcend (marginal brands in my experience). They are rated as class 6 though.

9. Rydian

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    My 8GB card is 0.9ms and 15MB/Sec, so yeah, yours is crappy.

The big problem people have is with their storage. Don't buy the cheap shit, it's cheap for a reason.

10. EJames2100

EJames2100 GBAtemp Fan

May 9, 2008
    England
    Are you using a Card Reader ? because those are the kind of speeds I'd get if I used my Phone to test it with.

11. Verack
    OP

Verack GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2010
    United States
    Yeah, I did those tests through the USB adapter that came with the dstwo. Is there a way to get a more accurate test?

12. goncalodoom

goncalodoom GBAtemp Fan

Sep 12, 2009
    portugal
    that microSD reader sucks,i used a usb 2.0 kingston and it gives higher results

13. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    Newer Sandisk class 2 cards are much worse than earlier ones. Before I took it back, the new 16GB Sandisk card I got had about half the read speed of the one I bought just a year ago for my phone. Both are Sandisk brand Class 2 16GB cards yet the old one had over 16mb/sec read speed while the new one had less than 10. My guess is that they are making the read speeds worse to save money, as technically a card can be any class even if it can only read one byte per century (yes, as in 1kb/thousand years).