Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I propose a new measurement for e-peen size, the "experience level." We have members who've registered a few months ago with thousands of posts, and we have members from way back that lurk around but only have a few hundred posts. And everything in between. All the while, the forum software keeps all sorts of tabs on our movements and browsing habits. The "experience level" would be the total amount of time actively spent on GBATEMP. Clicking, browsing, typing, posting, searching, mingling. I'm not sure if the software can keep track of when we're actually active instead of just logged in (that would be perfect). Failing that, the total time logged in could work.

There could be ribbons and icons, like for the post count. Or maybe just specific member titles. Like "Obsessive lurker."

And like all "experience points," having more is a clear indication of a lack of life
laugh.gif

Another "measurement" could be combining the join date with the post count. Each on their own doesn't really mean much, but deriving an indicator from the both of them could be fun. Let's say a year is worth a thousand posts (or five hundred). Or the other way around. The years + posts could represent a "level."

For example, [___]drian has been here since 2004., and has 11 thousand posts. That would put him at level 16 (Thordrian, Lv16 Mod... hee hee, sounds good). I've been here for three years, have two thousand posts, so that would make me level 5 (almost 6, yo
gbasp.gif
) (wait, Veho, Lv6 member... sounds good
smileipb2.png
)

Of course, inactive members would still level up, but you don't see them around.

Think about it.
wink.gif

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
One e-peen indicator is enough in my opinion, no need to have two things to stroke - that'd only confuse some members.

I'm looking at you Hadrian
smileipb2.png

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Law said:
Because Karma systems usually end up turning into one big circlejerk.
smileipb2.png

I've had good experiences with karma systems. I can see how it can turn out bad, especially on a forum as varied and as this one, and I know I'd abuse the karma system to exact petty vengeance on people I dislike, but with some good ground rules karma/reputation can be a good indicator of a member's, well, reputation.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Veho said:
Law said:
smileipb2.png

I've had good experiences with karma systems. I can see how it can turn out bad, especially on a forum as varied and as this one, and I know I'd abuse the karma system to exact petty vengeance on people I dislike, but with some good ground rules karma/reputation can be a good indicator of a member's, well, reputation.

"oh em gee dis guy dusn't like pokeymons, hai guize lets all giev him bad karmu!"

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
Law said:
Veho said:
Law said:
smileipb2.png

"oh em gee dis guy dusn't like pokeymons, hai guize lets all giev him bad karmu!"
This. Nuff said.
rofl2.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Law said:
You can't judge everyone based on yourself, you know.

QUOTE(da_head @ Oct 20 2009, 06:13 AM) i'm contempt
smileipb2.png
Contempt?
huh.gif

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
Veho said:
Law said:
You can't judge everyone based on yourself, you know.

QUOTE(da_head @ Oct 20 2009, 06:13 AM) i'm contempt
smileipb2.png
Contempt?
huh.gif
Haha he actually means content, a single mistake can result in a completely different meaning.
laugh.gif

Shinryuji

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The idea sounds really interesting but... It could be abused so, so horribly.
If the servers can handle it, there could be some sort of trial period where it's used for a month, or something?

--
Just thought of something to add if you do it the years here/post count way. Why not also add a level for homebrew apps or patches that were sucessful (rather than the project dying or never getting started)

outgum

Pokemanz Master
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I do like the the idea, it would be sweet,
But as stated, the Server would take a massive hit,
But in theory it should be no more dangerous than having a little bit of lag?
I do press it to the admins to seriously think about this to make a better tomorrow today
happy.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: Update on my brother: He's home now, tired and hungry, obviously, but other than that, seems to...