Hardware Exiting apps causes 3DS to crash

FarisMarie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I forgot about those. Back up the saves + extdata with Checkpoint or JKSM. Your installed games will still be in the Nintendo 3DS folder.

After you downgrade, you will lose tickets for your games. However, this is easily fixable with faketik. This app which will regenerate and reinstall tickets for titles missing them.

Uh
So I restored it
But instead of the 11.5 I backed up it went back to it's original JPN region and on 11.9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's gets still stuck. But now friend list will exit out
Friend List is accessible if your WiFi is turned off. The browser not working in JPN firmware isn't conclusive enough.

Region change your 3DS back to 11.5 EUR with CTRTransfer and then update back to 11.9. We need to figure out if WiFi works out before deciding on disassembly.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: ThoD and FarisMarie

FarisMarie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Friend List is accessible if your WiFi is turned off. The browser not working in JPN firmware isn't conclusive enough.

Region change your 3DS back to 11.5 EUR with CTRTransfer and then update back to 11.9. We need to figure out if WiFi works out before deciding on disassembly.

Should I update via system settings or recovery mode?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup it still freezes! All the top apps freeze again
Alright, back. I'm fixing a family car and replying during short breaks.

You are now left with CTRTransfer in Decrypt9WIP followed by updating to 11.9 with either Recovery Mode or System Settings. If you ask, it's not the same like that done in GodMode9.
  1. Download Decrypt9WIP at https://d0k3.secretalgorithm.com/.
    • sdmc:/luma/payloads/Decrypt9WIP.firm.
  2. Relocate both *.bin and *.sha CTRTransfer image at:
    • sdmc:/files9/11.5.0-38E_ctrtransfer_o3ds.bin
    • sdmc:/files9/11.5.0-38E_ctrtransfer_o3ds.bin.sha
  3. Insert the card into the 3DS, turn it on, and hold (Start) to access Luma3DS chainloader.
  4. Decrypt9WIP → SysNAND Options → CTRTransfer... → Auto CTRNAND Transfer → button combo → 11.5.0-38E_ctrtransfer_o3ds.binetc.
  5. Update to 11.9.0-42E.

Edit - I'm not sure how this will react with a region changed 3DS. I've seen this fail from someone else who region changed her JPN o3DS to USA firmware, although hers was later found to be missing SecureInfo_C.

Reactions: ThoD

FarisMarie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, back. I'm fixing a family car and replying during short breaks.

You are now left with CTRTransfer in Decrypt9WIP followed by updating to 11.9 with either Recovery Mode or System Settings. If you ask, it's not the same like that done in GodMode9.
  1. Download Decrypt9WIP at https://d0k3.secretalgorithm.com/.
    • sdmc:/luma/payloads/Decrypt9WIP.
  2. Relocate both *.bin and *.sha CTRTransfer image at:
    • sdmc:/files9/11.5.0-38E_ctrtransfer_o3ds.bin
    • sdmc:/files9/11.5.0-38E_ctrtransfer_o3ds.bin.sha
  3. Insert the card into the 3DS, turn it on, and hold (Start) to access Luma3DS chainloader.
  4. Decrypt9WIP → SysNAND Options → CTRTransfer... → Auto CTRNAND Transfer → button combo → 11.5.0-38E_ctrtransfer_o3ds.bin → etc.
  5. Update to 11.9.0-42E.

Edit - I'm not sure how this will react with a region changed 3DS. I've seen this fail from someone else who region changed her JPN o3DS to USA firmware, although hers was later found to be missing SecureInfo_C.

We'll have to see ig, so do I extract the zip files or just put the zip file in the payloads folder

If it is missing the SecureInfo_C will it brick?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We'll have to see ig, so do I extract the zip files or just put the zip file in the payloads folder

If it is missing the SecureInfo_C will it brick?
Oh, derp.
  • sdmc:/luma/payloads/Decrypt9WIP.firm
Excuse me, I'm not as awake as I hope to be, so on the slow side with putting two & two together..

That person who tried CTRTransfer in Decrypt9WIP with her region changed o3DS was Lirx:
Although there's no mentioning of her doing that in that thread, it was attempted after some back and forth private message.

Because her JPN o3DS was region changed to USA firmware but was missing the edited SecureInfo_C, her attempt at NAND repair failed when she tried using 11.5 USA CTRTransfer. Decrypt9WIP will abort and refuse to flash the NAND if it detects the supplied CTRTransfer image does not match the region to the firmware that's already on the 3DS.

To be honest, I have no clue what Decrypt9WIP will do with a region changed 3DS that has its SecureInfo_C. If you don't mind the wait, we can pick this up tomorrow after my much needed beauty sleep, heh.

Once well rested, I can check on my USA n3DSXL using a backed up JPN 11.9 SysNAND *.bin image made in a prior region changing experiment. It includes SecureInfo_B (original USA) and SecureInfo_C (edited for JPN). After SysNAND restore, all that's needed left is to run 11.5 JPN n3DS CTRTransfer in Decrypt9WIP.

Edit - Anyway, good night!

FarisMarie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, derp.
  • sdmc:/luma/payloads/Decrypt9WIP.firm
Excuse me, I'm not as awake as I hope to be, so on the slow side with putting two & two together..

That person who tried CTRTransfer in Decrypt9WIP with her region changed o3DS was Lirx:
Although there's no mentioning of her doing that in that thread, it was attempted after some back and forth private message.

Because her JPN o3DS was region changed to USA firmware but was missing the edited SecureInfo_C, her attempt at NAND repair failed when she tried using 11.5 USA CTRTransfer. Decrypt9WIP will abort and refuse to flash the NAND if it detects the supplied CTRTransfer image does not match the region to the firmware that's already on the 3DS.

To be honest, I have no clue what Decrypt9WIP will do with a region changed 3DS that has its SecureInfo_C. If you don't mind the wait, we can pick this up tomorrow after my much needed beauty sleep, heh.

Once well rested, I can check on my USA n3DSXL using a backed up JPN 11.9 SysNAND *.bin image made in a prior region changing experiment. It includes SecureInfo_B (original USA) and SecureInfo_C (edited for JPN). After SysNAND restore, all that's needed left is to run 11.5 JPN n3DS CTRTransfer in Decrypt9WIP.

Oh it's no problem, I can wait! But Uh, can I restore the NAND to what is was before all this because I'd like to play it hehe :P

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Oh it's no problem, I can wait! But Uh, can I restore the NAND to what is was before all this because I'd like to play it hehe :P
Did you make a NAND backup from before you started all this troubleshooting? If so, restoring that temporarily should let you play your stuff, although highly suggest just following through with D9WIP as it's much safer overall (less window of time and usage so more stable "environment" as you never know what might change while using the 3DS and swapping out NAND backups all the time).

FarisMarie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you make a NAND backup from before you started all this troubleshooting? If so, restoring that temporarily should let you play your stuff, although highly suggest just following through with D9WIP as it's much safer overall (less window of time and usage so more stable "environment" as you never know what might change while using the 3DS and swapping out NAND backups all the time).

Yes I made a NAND backup before I did any of this. But you have a good point so I'll go ahead and just wait ^^

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I made a NAND backup before I did any of this. But you have a good point so I'll go ahead and just wait ^^
I got a lot of bad news about performing CTRTransfer with Decrypt9WIP for a region changed 3DS.
  1. I took my USA n3DSXL (USA 11.9 firmware) and restored its SysNAND with my region changed JPN 11.9 *.bin image. This NAND was made from a prior experiment.
  2. While it shouldn't matter, I removed fastboot3ds by reinstalling boot9strap with SafeB9SInstaller. This is to eliminate any discrepancy with different FIRM.
  3. In the 1:/sys/rw directory, I check to make sure I have both SecureInfo_B and SecureInfo_C.
    • SecureInfo_B = The original file with 0x100 offset set to 01 (USA).
    • SecureInfo_C = An edited copy of _B where 0x100 offset is set to 00 (JPN).
  4. I boot to HOME Menu and check for Sys 11.9.0-42J in System Settings.
  5. No problems quickly visiting google.com, reddit.com, and gbatemp.net with the Internet Browser.
  6. CTRTransfer in Decrypt9WIP using the 11.5.0-38J_ctrtransfer_n3ds package found at 3ds.hacks.guide goes without a fuss.
  7. When trying to reach HOME Menu, the 3DS system boots with an ARM9 error. My firmware has softbricked. Boooo!
There were several interesting observations I found about this brick.
  • SecureInfo_C was deleted.
  • SecureInfo_B was reassigned as SecureInfo_A.
  • SecureInfo_A was left alone; not hex edited at 0x100.

Because it's a bad idea to edit the original SecureInfo_A/B, I create a new copy of SecureInfo_C with the 0x100 offset = 00.
  • Even with SecureInfo_C, the ARM9 error persists when trying to boot to HOME Menu.

I go back to GodMode9,
  1. White highlight select [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND.
  2. Hold (R)-shoulder and press (A) → Fix CMACs for drive → etc.
Finally! The 3DS boots to setting up a new user profile. After my wireless connection profile was made, I update to Sys 11.9.0-42J through System Settings.
I revisit those three previously mentioned website with Internet Browser without a hitch.

When trying to access Recovery Mode, the screen boots black.
  • It was later discovered Recovery Mode does not rely on SecureInfo_C, which is a homebrew made file.
  • This special firmware will first look for SecureInfo_B.
  • If it does not find _B, it'll look for SecureInfo_A next.
  • If the first _B or _A it finds does not have the correct hex region value at 0x100, Recovery Mode will refuse to work.
Solution: If your 3DS system came with _B, take the unedited SecureInfo_B and rename it as SecureInfo_A. If your 3DS system did not come with SecureInfo_B, that's fine. Keep a mental note which one is the clean, original copy.
  • Create a copy of SecureInfo_A and rename it to SecureInfo_B. Hex edit the 0x100 region value.
  • Or take the already edited SecureInfo_C, make a copy of that, and rename that copy as SecureInfo_B.
    • Nevermind. SecureInfo_C was previously deleted.
Remember, Recovery Mode will default to *_B first even if you have both *_A and *_B.

So what does this all means? CTRTransfer with Decrypt9WIP is bad stuff for a 3DS system that had its firmware region changed. While it'll probably fix the hang up issues encounter in the HOME Menu system applets, using it requires additional steps fixing the SecureInfo_A/B/C and CMAC recalculations for HOME Menu and Recovery Mode.

Reactions: FarisMarie

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I got a lot of bad news about performing CTRTransfer with Decrypt9WIP for a region changed 3DS.
  1. I took my USA n3DSXL (USA 11.9 firmware) and restored its SysNAND with my region changed JPN 11.9 *.bin image. This NAND was made from a prior experiment.
  2. While it shouldn't matter, I removed fastboot3ds by reinstalling boot9strap with SafeB9SInstaller. This is to eliminate any discrepancy with different FIRM.
  3. In the 1:/sys/rw directory, I check to make sure I have both SecureInfo_B and SecureInfo_C.
    • SecureInfo_B = The original file with 0x100 offset set to 01 (USA).
    • SecureInfo_C = An edited copy of _B where 0x100 offset is set to 00 (JPN).
  4. I boot to HOME Menu and check for Sys 11.9.0-42J in System Settings.
  5. No problems quickly visiting google.com, reddit.com, and gbatemp.net with the Internet Browser.
  6. CTRTransfer in Decrypt9WIP using the 11.5.0-38J_ctrtransfer_n3ds package found at 3ds.hacks.guide goes without a fuss.
  7. When trying to reach HOME Menu, the 3DS system boots with an ARM9 error. My firmware has softbricked. Boooo!
There were several interesting observations I found about this brick.
  • SecureInfo_C was deleted.
  • SecureInfo_B was reassigned as SecureInfo_A.
  • SecureInfo_A was left alone; not hex edited at 0x100.

Because it's a bad idea to edit the original SecureInfo_A/B, I create a new copy of SecureInfo_C with the 0x100 offset = 00.
  • Even with SecureInfo_C, the ARM9 error persists when trying to boot to HOME Menu.

I go back to GodMode9,
  1. White highlight select [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND.
  2. Hold (R)-shoulder and press (A) → Fix CMACs for drive → etc.
Finally! The 3DS boots to setting up a new user profile. After my wireless connection profile was made, I update to Sys 11.9.0-42J through System Settings.
I revisit those three previously mentioned website with Internet Browser without a hitch.

When trying to access Recovery Mode, the screen boots black.
  • It was later discovered Recovery Mode does not rely on SecureInfo_C, which is a homebrew made file.
  • This special firmware will first look for SecureInfo_B.
  • If it does not find _B, it'll look for SecureInfo_A next.
  • If the first _B or _A it finds does not have the correct hex region value at 0x100, Recovery Mode will refuse to work.
Solution: If your 3DS system came with _B, take the unedited SecureInfo_B and rename it as SecureInfo_A. If your 3DS system did not come with SecureInfo_B, that's fine. Keep a mental note which one is the clean, original copy.
  • Create a copy of SecureInfo_A and rename it to SecureInfo_B. Hex edit the 0x100 region value.
  • Or take the already edited SecureInfo_C, make a copy of that, and rename that copy as SecureInfo_B.
Remember, Recovery Mode will default to *_B first even if you have both *_A and *_B.

So what does this all means? CTRTransfer with Decrypt9WIP is bad stuff for a 3DS system that had its firmware region changed. While it'll probably fix the hang up issues encounter in the HOME Menu system applets, using it requires additional steps fixing the SecureInfo_A/B/C and CMAC recalculations for HOME Menu and Recovery Mode.
While interesting and all, don't you think it's kinda overwhelming info with 99% not making sense for a newbie like her that's just starting out and stuff?:P I get you are trying to be informative and all, but damn!:rofl2:

Should she just edit the SecureInfo files to make Recovery Mode work without any CTR transfers and see how it goes?

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While interesting and all, don't you think it's kinda overwhelming info with 99% not making sense for a newbie like her that's just starting out and stuff?:P I get you are trying to be informative and all, but damn!:rofl2:

Should she just edit the SecureInfo files to make Recovery Mode work without any CTR transfers and see how it goes?
Hey now! She's an inquisitive person. I don't want to hold back anything in case she wants and needs to know. LOL.
Yay, it's big learning curve for her coming straight after just hacking that o3DS. I don't know if the explanation can be simplified any further, except:
  • TH;DU - CTRTransfer D9WIP + region changed 3DS firmware = BAD juju. Beware!
It shouldn't hurt to try downgrading with 11.5 EUR CTRTransfer in GodMode9, creating an additional SecureInfo with the needed hex edit (A or B, whichever one she doesn't have), and then updating with Recovery Mode to 11.9 EUR.

However, her firmware for the system applets may be too damaged that following the above approach might not fix it. This was similarly seen in this case (Argh! Lots of head banging and bad memories..):

There may be another variation she could attempt with no/little hex editing.
  1. SysNAND restore her 11.9 JPN firmware.
  2. Downgrade with 11.5 JPN CTRTransfer in Decrypt9WIP (in hopes of fixing those system applets).
  3. Region change with 11.5 EUR CTRTransfer in GodMode9.
4A. Update to 11.9 EUR with System Setting

or

4B. Make extra SecureInfo with careful hex editing. Update to 11.9 EUR with Recovery Mode.​

Reactions: ThoD

FarisMarie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey now! She's an inquisitive person. I don't want to hold back anything in case she wants and needs to know. LOL.
Yay, it's big learning curve for her coming straight after just hacking that o3DS. I don't know if the explanation can be simplified any further, except:
  • TH;DU - CTRTransfer D9WIP + region changed 3DS firmware = BAD juju. Beware!
It shouldn't hurt to try downgrading with 11.5 EUR CTRTransfer in GodMode9, creating an additional SecureInfo with the needed hex edit (A or B, whichever one she doesn't have), and then updating with Recovery Mode to 11.9 EUR.

However, her firmware for the system applets may be too damaged that following the above approach might not fix it. This was similarly seen in this case (Argh! Lots of head banging and bad memories..):

There may be another variation she could attempt with no/little hex editing.
  1. SysNAND restore her 11.9 JPN firmware.
  2. Downgrade with 11.5 JPN CTRTransfer in Decrypt9WIP (in hopes of fixing those system applets).
  3. Region change with 11.5 EUR CTRTransfer in GodMode9.
4A. Update to 11.9 EUR with System Setting

or

4B. Make extra SecureInfo with careful hex editing. Update to 11.9 EUR with Recovery Mode.​

Yes that is true, I'm very curious to know how all this stuff works! Very interesting stuff imo! So I should use that backup NAND I have that for some reason gives me the latest JPN firmware?

And after using Decrypt9 to get the firmware back to 11.5 should I check if everything works before proceeding? I'm rather okai with hex editing as long as I got a very deeeetaaaiilled guide XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F