Evo 2020 canceled, online event to take its place later this summer

pNWR6U2.png

Following in the steps of E3, Gamescom, and pretty much every other large video game-related gathering, the fighting game tournament Evo has canceled its 2020 event. While the physical gathering itself won't be happening, Evo will still be held this summer, just in digital form. All tickets and hotel reservations are being refunded to those that pre-ordered as Evo teases their plans for an online event. Next week, a webpage will go live where those interested in competing will be able to register for the tournament.

:arrow: Source

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm not a fighting game fan, but I eagerly await the compilations of people agonizing over their losses due to bad netcode.

But really, low lag is really important for these people. Hopefully they'll still be able to just have fun having a tournament and enjoy playing their favorite fighting games.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This will not turn out well at all. Every single game in the evo lineup has bad netcode. It will be near impossible for international play so they would probably have to do online evo based on region.

Most fighting games outside of a few don't even tell you if someone is playing using a wired connection or wifi. Smash bros ultimate will be the worst since people won't buy a ethernet to usb adapter and/or powerline adapter.

If anything this should push developers to hopefully start caring enough to add rollback netcode in fighting games. Feel like all hope is lost for super smash bros though.

Last edited by cvskid,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I got to get some popcorn. Can't the rage continues. :creep:

If anything this should push developers to hopefully start caring enough to add rollback netcode in fighting games. Feel like all hope is lost for super smash bros though.
As much as "netcode" improvements should be a huge deal, it isn't which is sad. Capcom had put in rollback into street fighter V but ever since earlier this year when a person made a pc mod trying to "Fix" the netcode, it created more problems since it only worked for both pc players using the mod, not the PS4 players. (That's important because is cross platform play and ps4 games can't be modded as easily.)

When capcom announced a adjustment to the netplay to fix the mod problems, people assume it would just use the fan made mod to make it so all pc and ps4 players used it making things "better." Instead, Capcom made their own adjustments and people noticed the mod didn't work anymore and assumed it was just blocking use of the mod and people raged about it. (Technically they did adjust something as found by someone) but still it seems unfair that people keep complaining about Capcom and their actions with no apologies.

Compared to other games that aren't using rollback, Street Fighter V Champion Edition is using it. (Even if it's their own kind and not the favored GGPO) Most other popular japanese fighting games still using the other kind everyone hates while most american made ones just use GGPO with modifications. Even so, Street fighter V continues to be the most played or viewed fighting game on twitch compared to all the other games not using Rollback and people still make fun of capcom. :blink:

I don't know why people keep shaming capcom. They are making efforts to improve things, I don't hear other games doing it. Capcom ask after any netplay adjustments for feedback and such with survey. People constantly playing it all the time on twitch. And yet I can hardly find anyone playing the other games online as much as Street fighter V. :ninja:

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

As much as "netcode" improvements should be a huge deal, it isn't which is sad. Capcom had put in rollback into street fighter V but ever since earlier this year when a person made a pc mod trying to "Fix" the netcode, it created more problems since it only worked for both pc players using the mod, not the PS4 players. (That's important because is cross platform play and ps4 games can't be modded as easily.)

When capcom announced a adjustment to the netplay to fix the mod problems, people assume it would just use the fan made mod to make it so all pc and ps4 players used it making things "better." Instead, Capcom made their own adjustments and people noticed the mod didn't work anymore and assumed it was just blocking use of the mod and people raged about it. (Technically they did adjust something as found by someone) but still it seems unfair that people keep complaining about Capcom and their actions with no apologies.

Compared to other games that aren't using rollback, Street Fighter V Champion Edition is using it. (Even if it's their own kind and not the favored GGPO) Most other popular japanese fighting games still using the other kind everyone hates while most american made ones just use GGPO with modifications. Even so, Street fighter V continues to be the most played or viewed fighting game on twitch compared to all the other games not using Rollback and people still make fun of capcom. :blink:

I don't know why people keep shaming capcom. They are making efforts to improve things, I don't hear other games doing it. Capcom ask after any netplay adjustments for feedback and such with survey. People constantly playing it all the time on twitch. And yet I can hardly find anyone playing the other games online as much as Street fighter V. :ninja:
I think it's because of the fact that it took capcom 4 years to do anything reguarding the netcode and matchmaking, and the only reason they even did that was because of the fan made mod.

Last edited by cvskid,
Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's because of the fact that it took capcom 4 years to do anything reguarding the netcode and matchmaking, and the only reason they even did that was because of the fan made mod.
That may be true. But it has rollback compared to games that kept coming out since the 4 years is been on the market that don't and people still complain the most about capcom even though most people on twitch is playing that game over others like samurai shodown, blazblue cross tag battle, under night in birth and dragonball fighterz, or anything else.

Reactions: cvskid

CorteX_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The real problem is that modern games have a buttload of input lag to begin with. When you have 100ms latency from your button presses offline and you add the latency of the connection as well it becomes virtually unplayable, case in point ultimate.
No matter how good the netcode is, if developers aren't polling controllers fast enough and create a responsive game nothing will save it.

Now let's compare this to melee:
Only 2-3 frames of input lag, roughly 33-50ms compared to ultimate's 100ms.
The game also has mods applied in dolphin which further removes input lag, compensating for online play, meaning as long as you're playing someone with 33ms or less it feels just like console offline if you have the right setup. It's that good. Why in the holy mother of fuck all these newer games have so much latency I don't know, but it seems we're getting shinier graphics at the cost of atrocious controls.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The real problem is that modern games have a buttload of input lag to begin with. When you have 100ms latency from your button presses offline and you add the latency of the connection as well it becomes virtually unplayable, case in point ultimate.
No matter how good the netcode is, if developers aren't polling controllers fast enough and create a responsive game nothing will save it.

Now let's compare this to melee:
Only 2-3 frames of input lag, roughly 33-50ms compared to ultimate's 100ms.
The game also has mods applied in dolphin which further removes input lag, compensating for online play, meaning as long as you're playing someone with 33ms or less it feels just like console offline if you have the right setup. It's that good. Why in the holy mother of fuck all these newer games have so much latency I don't know, but it seems we're getting shinier graphics at the cost of atrocious controls.

Because a lot of people with modern displays are casual gamers who don't care about 60+ FPS (if even 60 in the first place), let alone fucking as little input lag as possible. When 50" FHDTVs (which I can imagine most would be OK with, especially if they're somewhat more technically informed like some of us are) can be bought for $350 or less with Roku or other Smart TV features built in, "why go for more?" is the logic of a lot of your typical Karens and other Walmart customers.

Hell, there are some who are fine with buying glorified PC monitors labeled as TVs because their budget is simply THAT tight!

And CRTs are biting the dust left and right, not to mention, the need to usually convert HDMI to Component/Composite/S-Video/SCART/RGB, PAL/NTSC Switchers, modding consoles to play region locked games...can you see why emulation, especially with stuff like Runahead, is a good way to preserve the experience of these games?

SFV isn't the only kid on the block anymore. Besides, I heard that Marvel Vs. Functions Infinite Anger at Disney had better GGPO implementation than most of SFV's time on the market, ironically enough.

Don't think anyone got the reference :(

Reactions: duwen and cvskid

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SFV isn't the only kid on the block anymore. Besides, I heard that Marvel Vs. Functions Infinite Anger at Disney had better GGPO implementation than most of SFV's time on the market, ironically enough.
It's not the only "kid on the block" but it's the only one still getting the most attention. I am aware of that. There is the games that people seem to like that don't have Rollback which are mostly made in japan, and the games that do have it which are mostly made in USA. The point I was making is Capcom with Street Fighter V still gets the most attention compared to the others. Even though people continue to complain about the netplay not working well, I still see people playing it online all the time with much higher player base than other games.

Now I like me some Street Fighter, I own Street Fighter V Champion Edition, and I know is not the best all the time. But when the netplay works, it WORKS, and would rather not play something like smash bros online where it doesn't work almost 0% of the time compared to Street Fighter V.

I'm glad Capcom is doing something about it, taking feedback and poll results. I just didn't like how hostile the complaints are when it comes to feedback. It must be hard to be a developer. :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==