Evo 2020 canceled, online event to take its place later this summer

pNWR6U2.png

Following in the steps of E3, Gamescom, and pretty much every other large video game-related gathering, the fighting game tournament Evo has canceled its 2020 event. While the physical gathering itself won't be happening, Evo will still be held this summer, just in digital form. All tickets and hotel reservations are being refunded to those that pre-ordered as Evo teases their plans for an online event. Next week, a webpage will go live where those interested in competing will be able to register for the tournament.

:arrow: Source

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not the only "kid on the block" but it's the only one still getting the most attention. I am aware of that. There is the games that people seem to like that don't have Rollback which are mostly made in japan, and the games that do have it which are mostly made in USA. The point I was making is Capcom with Street Fighter V still gets the most attention compared to the others. Even though people continue to complain about the netplay not working well, I still see people playing it online all the time with much higher player base than other games.

Now I like me some Street Fighter, I own Street Fighter V Champion Edition, and I know is not the best all the time. But when the netplay works, it WORKS, and would rather not play something like smash bros online where it doesn't work almost 0% of the time compared to Street Fighter V.

I'm glad Capcom is doing something about it, taking feedback and poll results. I just didn't like how hostile the complaints are when it comes to feedback. It must be hard to be a developer. :(

The way I look at the whole "OMG, gamers are sooooo toxic" BS is that sticks and stones may break my bones, but words don't hurt me. I know the industry is rough, but the people choosing to work in it who are complaining about it either didn't know what they were jumping into, or simply want to abdicate responsibility for problems that companies are paying them to solve.

As someone who's been having to work with a bunch of disposable-as-shit temps and has experienced how truly dumb people can be in my time working at a retail store for the last 3.5 years, a lot of this PC crap that's infected the industry to the point that it's blatant ever since the start of the 8th generation of consoles really makes me wonder about the competency of the devs working on these games nowadays.

Reactions: duwen

gcop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if all tournaments will get the same attention as before. Being there to watch one tourney after another one thing, opening the browser tab at a certain time is another.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm intrigued as to how they'll digitally implement the much touted return of MvC2 to the tournament... will competitors be expected to all own an x360 with that version of the game installed (from before it was delisted) or a Dreamcast with online adapter... or just straight up emulation?

...or maybe, just maybe *fingers crossed*, Capcom is rereleasing it for the games anniversary.

Last edited by duwen,

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm intrigued as to how they'll digitally implement the much touted return of MvC2 to the tournament... will competitors be expected to all own an x360 with that version of the game installed (from before it was delisted) or a Dreamcast with online adapter... or just straight up emulation?

...or maybe, just maybe *fingers crossed*, Capcom is rereleasing it for the games anniversary.
MVC2 will be near impossible to do. For competitive play people generally boycott any version thats not the sega dreamcast original console version. Plus only the japanese version of mvc2 on dreamcast supports online play but the servers have been down for it for a very long time. Even if the servers were up and running you would have to assume everyone that has a dremcast also has the dreamcast broadband adapter which is crazy expensive.

No way to purchase the game legitimately these days in a format that offers online play. They would either have to like you said have x360 or ps3 systems that already have the game, use a dreamcast emulator that supports online play, or use modded ps3 systems to play mvc2 but i don't see any of that happening. If anything i feel like power rangers battle for the grid would be a good replacement for mvc2 since that game actually has good netcode plus its gameplay is heavily inspired by marvel vs capcom.

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One can only find how entertaining EVO online will turn out with the current line-up before they tune out.

If the organizers are still going through with EVO online, they should redo the line-ups to games that have proper rollback netcode.

Reactions: cvskid

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This, and on modern platforms please. If it got a Switch release, I'd no desire for Flycast to emulate it any more!

lordofcombo

Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
they might as well cancel it.worst event ever.A party game for man child and the worst sf in recent years are taking the spotlight.
Competitive FGC scene is at its lowest ever.

Reactions: minka

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
MVC2 will be near impossible to do. For competitive play people generally boycott any version thats not the sega dreamcast original console version. Plus only the japanese version of mvc2 on dreamcast supports online play but the servers have been down for it for a very long time. Even if the servers were up and running you would have to assume everyone that has a dremcast also has the dreamcast broadband adapter which is crazy expensive.

No way to purchase the game legitimately these days in a format that offers online play. They would either have to like you said have x360 or ps3 systems that already have the game, use a dreamcast emulator that supports online play, or use modded ps3 systems to play mvc2 but i don't see any of that happening. If anything i feel like power rangers battle for the grid would be a good replacement for mvc2 since that game actually has good netcode plus its gameplay is heavily inspired by marvel vs capcom.

Not that I'm good enough to compete, but I guess I'm lucky in so much as I own the Japanese Dreamcast release (although I don't have a working broadband adaptor) and I legitimately 'own' the X360 version (although I no longer pay for gold live membership). ...I also have it on my PS3, but that's far from legit ;)

Reactions: cvskid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: I have a number of geriatric relatives.