Everyone has a terrible sleep schedule now, right?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Kiriya I don't claim to be an expert or anything but
.. Doing some meditation in the morning and before sleeping at night helps to clear your head, reducing/eliminating stress/anxiety in your work/home environment, physical exercise and working out, abstaining from smoking/drinking.. Just to name a few.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a terrible sleep schedule now. I started suffering from insomnia about a month ago. I took sleeping pills, but according to the online pharmacy, they can't be taken only for a short period of time. I hoped that the situation would change for the better during the winter holidays, but it hasn't changed at all. I'm currently working on my daily routine. Also, I'm thinking about trying yoga. What other solutions can you recommend?
You can try CBD or Melatonin. A big meal and a boring TV show always works for me.

Reactions: Kiriya and Dud

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about everyone but i do. It is super hard to put myself in the bed at night and get up in the morning.
I'm kinda the opposite. I pretty much conk right out when I lay down. It's the staying asleep part that is my problem. Today (yesterday), I went to bed at 5:30 pm (I have to be up by 2 am for my 4 am shift), and I woke up at 10 pm last night. I laid in bed for about an hour, but it just wasn't gonna happen. Thing is, I'm tired as fuck. But my mind won't stfu.

Honestly, I'm not sure if my body is jonesing for coffee, or what. I have two cups each day when I wake up before work, and that's it. I don't think it's an insane amount, but maybe for me it's too much. Not sure. That being said, the holidays were insane, our kids were home, my wife was insane like she always is when the kids come home and it's the holidays, and work was insane as well. And now that the holidays are over, they cut our hours, so I'm having to do most of the work myself without any staff during about half of the work week. So, I'm up in bed with my mind uncontrollably trying to plan my day...

Reactions: BigOnYa

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@GeekyGuy From my experience, stress causes anxiety which in turn disturbs sleep.
And that happened to me last year when i had so much work needed to be done, so many deadlines coming up, i started having nightmares pretty much regularly (and i rarely have them normally)..
And now that the holidays are over, they cut our hours, so I'm having to do most of the work myself without any staff during about half of the work week. So, I'm up in bed with my mind uncontrollably trying to plan my day...
What you've said above shows well what you're going through and why it's happening. The pressure of work is causing the brain to overthink and the brain refuses to let go when you try to relax and sleep, so the quality of your sleep is affected greatly. There's sleep cycles that start over every 1,5hr, this causes a person to wake up at least 2~3 times per night, and one could easily get back to sleep, but unfortunately for you it's not and that's because of the things mentioned previously.
I don't think coffee is what's causing the sleep disturbance, i myself drink at least 2 cups minimum everyday in the morning for years now, and i sleep fine, and besides the caffeine doesn't last that long (+8 hours) in your system..
One more thing to consider is noise, if you're constantly distracted (when you're asleep) by things that make loud/sharp sounds, either machines or even by other family members etc. that can harm your sleep, specially for someone who's sensitive to sound.
I would suggest meditation to clear the mind before bed, and try to sleep in a quiet/ secluded area with no lights preferably.
Cheers!

Reactions: GeekyGuy

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screenshot 2022-01-09 055404.png

Me everyday!

ijackr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to have a terrible sleep schedule, but not now.
If you are an adult, aim for around 6-8 hours of sleep.

Then calculate your wake-up time, counting back + 1 extra hour.

10 pm to 7 am would be fine, for example.

Try to avoid using an alarm clock to wake up.

During a weekend or when you have time available, stay up for between 24-48 hours, till you are really tired and it's almost around your target bedtime (perhaps the following night if required, but don't go over the 48 hours).

- approx 2 to 3 hours before bed, stop eating anything
- approx 1 to 2 hours before bed, stop drinking
- 1 to 3 hours before bed, avoid using high brain activities (turn off the cellphone, social media, computers, checking emails, etc) and switch over to low brain activities (reading or watching tv, etc).

Feel free to play a movie to zone out to, if that movie isn't too much for the brain to process. Some movies can even help you doze and feel sleepy/relaxed.

Right on your set bedtime. You should be ready, already brushed teeth, etc... and in bed.

Reactions: Lapit and BigOnYa

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What a great piece of advice, ijackr! Thanks! I started experiencing sleep issues about a month ago, though I used to be a good sleeper. I don't really want to take sleeping pills (to be honest, I was frightened by the side effects). I've recently started doing yoga, I heard it works for many people. But of course, it is great to learn from the experience of others.
Pills are the worst. Try avoiding them as best as you can. Try to introduce any amount of work out during the day, going to the gym, cycling, even short walks helps to get one's body to feel tired so to fall asleep easily, inhibit any stress from your work/relationships from your brain to reduce anxiety and overthinking. Meditation helps immensely in that area too, just a few 10~15min of focused slow breathing and emptying the head from the garbage (watch YT vids if you're new to this), with closed eyes, do it just before you want to fall asleep, in a room with dimmed lights/low noise/no distractions. Trust you'll significantly better after doing it, after the first you can whenever you feel like it, whenever you have similar conditions, in your office, during break etc. And to help you focus to finish your day..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: