junkerde

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a fighters type game kind of fan and one of my friends told me about mugen, i tried it and it was pretty cool at first, then it was just a broken engine for me. then i got into the community, and i saw how anal they were about editing characters or whatever. I am not sure if they know how hypocritical they are even though the rip the sprites from games themselves lol, but wow, MUGEN community has got to be one of the worst ones. Mugen is so flawed with overpowered characters and an over 9000 character slot, where over 90% of the characters are poorly made. Broken engine, broken community, whats your experience with this thing?

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
MUGEN is whatever you want it to be.
Don't add crappy/broken characters if you don't want a crappy/broken game.

The community is hit and miss depending on where you go.

People are anal about character edits more because of the effort put into the coding side of things.

You can have wonderful dream matches if you take the effort to find accurate/balanced characters.

ninchya

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive used mugen before and there is no balencing in that game unless you dl a premade one where someone actually took the time to compile all the chars and somewhat balence it. Its fun to play around if you like fighting games with a lot of customization. Mugenguild seems to be the only "good" community. Its a fun game to mess around with like Family Guy VS Simpsons.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Zarcon said:

People are anal about character edits more because of the effort put into the coding side of things.

You can have wonderful dream matches if you take the effort to find accurate/balanced characters.

THIS. Seriously... how is it hard to understand people being upset about edits?

How would you feel if you coded something and somebody else say... changed one small thing (OMG CLOUD HAS A HAT NOW HOW CUTE) and claimed everything as their own?

It's stealing their work, OP. It's not difficult to understand. And yeah, if you don't want shitty characters, read the comments/reviews/posts about them. If you don't want borked characters then... don't add them! duh.

junkerde

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
Zarcon said:

How would you feel if you coded something and somebody else say... changed one small thing (OMG CLOUD HAS A HAT NOW HOW CUTE) and claimed everything as their own?

It's stealing their work, OP. It's not difficult to understand. And yeah, if you don't want shitty characters, read the comments/reviews/posts about them. If you don't want borked characters then... don't add them! duh.
i do laugh because when you say stealing their work, its hypocritical of them when they steal others from real games, yes so the cycle goes round and round we all lose. but mugen is still a broken engine on its own. another reason i detest mugen.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've only used it a few times, and my experience was alright. I never played against anyone competitively, I used it for fun... like a game.

I did notice that the characters were broken in some cases. That's not a problem with the game, but with the people who contribute to it.
As for the engine, I didn't have a problem with it.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
junkerde said:
Schlupi said:
Zarcon said:

i do laugh because when you say stealing their work, its hypocritical of them when they steal others from real games, yes so the cycle goes round and round we all lose. but mugen is still a broken engine on its own. another reason i detest mugen.

If you're going to say that using sprites from games is stealing from other work, sure. You may be right. But A LOT of Homebrew and such use the same things... and it's not even that which is the issue, in case you didn't read Zarcon's post it is the CODING that is the hard part (I can rip a sprite set in about 10 minutes if you wanted me to).

I am not going to argue semantics over stolen sprites but I just want you to know there are also MANY MANY MANY CUSTOM ones out there too... and your "Stolen from real games" argument goes out the window. Here's a suggestion: if you have such an issue using "real game" characters, try using nothing but custom ones. Then they are completely original. There ya go.

You're entitled to your opinion, yes, but if you're going to speak of ignorance you're not going to be well met but us who do appreciate the game.

DeviousTom

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I used MUGEN when I was like 6.... thought it was the coolest thing in the world
smile.gif

SSJ6,7,8,9 and effed up fusions, yea, those were the days...

junkerde

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
junkerde said:
Schlupi said:
Zarcon said:

If you're going to say that using sprites from games is stealing from other work, sure. You may be right. But A LOT of Homebrew and such use the same things... and it's not even that which is the issue, in case you didn't read Zarcon's post it is the CODING that is the hard part (I can rip a sprite set in about 10 minutes if you wanted me to).

I am not going to argue semantics over stolen sprites but I just want you to know there are also MANY MANY MANY CUSTOM ones out there too... and your "Stolen from real games" argument goes out the window. Here's a suggestion: if you have such an issue using "real game" characters, try using nothing but custom ones. Then they are completely original. There ya go.

You're entitled to your opinion, yes, but if you're going to speak of ignorance you're not going to be well met but us who do appreciate the game.
lol of course i wont be well met with people who appreciate the game when i myself hate it . yes your opinion, mine, its all good man

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's not like Capcom and co don't know about MUGEN. They've even asked for what their stance is and they're fine with it as long as the creators aren't making money while using ripped sprites.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
As far as MUGEN being a broken engine, you aren't using some old DOS test or the Windows leak, are you? Elecbyte came back and resumed development (though not with the same goals as before). http://www.elecbyte.com/mugen

The main issue is supporting older characters, which themselves often relied on broken mechanics that users think are working as intended. It's like IE... just because a character (webpage) worked in an old version of Mugen (like IE6) doesn't mean that it was programmed correctly, as old versions of Mugen (IE) were buggy and when development on Mugen (IE) stopped for a while (like IE not getting past 6 for years) people got too used to coding for a bugger reader/engine, not realizing they were doing it wrong. For example ALT text should NOT be what shows up when you highlight an image, that is NOT what the HTML specification says it should do, that's the job of the TITLE attribute.

Anyways, the game needs to still support buggy characters to support the currently-existing ones... otherwise it might as well be a new engine if you can't use the old characters (unless some magical converter can be made, but given the whole state/key aspect of characters I'm not sure if that's feasible).

Zarcon said:
This.

MUGEN characters are not professionally-made (barring two), so you can't go into it expecting the same kind of polish from every single thing as you expect when purchasing retail fighting games by companies like Capcom. MUGEN characters are a collective effort, and like almost everything else there's a lot of people who want to try, but suck. Myself, I have a collection of decent characters I'm fond of... but yes it takes a while to find one you personally like.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried a few MUGEN games a couple years back....I generally liked them. I mean, I'm all for having a gazillion characters in one game like that, but the balance issues were ridiculous. I also didn't like how different characters would use different buttons sets.....like one used 6-button SF style, another used 4-button Tekken style, yet another would use some seriously sad 3-button method, some used a button to block (I really hate the method of blocking), some used back to block....all in the same game. I mean, I guess I can understand that they were trying to stick to (or were limited to) the way the character was used originally, but it just ended up being a complete a mess and I quickly tired of dealing with it and deleted them.

Now, if someone could point me to a MUGEN where the characters are actually balanced and it doesn't crash a lot, then I might consider looking at MUGEN again. Problem is, I'm kinda picky with fighting games, I don't want any cutesy characters or lame music. Music must be metal based as I feel metal fits a fighting game best. The characters must be cool or badass and not cute.....and no less than 40 characters to choose from, but preferably more than that. Yeah, I'm really picky like that. I see Mario or Kirby or some Sailor Moon crap in the game as a selectable character and I'm turned off. I can tolerate joke characters, but not ones that are just lame and cutesy.

Man! I can only imagine the kinds of games I'd make if I could program anything.....people would probably think I'm even more demented and morally bankrupt than I actually am. Gang members and prison inmates would hail my games as DA SHIT. I would take the word badass to a whole new level. Companies like Nintendo would scream like little girls and go hide in fear at the mere thought of putting a game I would create on one of their systems. Fighting games would actually be the simplest form of the badassery I would create.

30 plus years of gaming spawns quite a bit of imagination. Just be glad I have no interest in actually learning to program or the world would be appalled at the games I'd create. I still hold on to the dream of a fighting game RPG......I have the basic outline idea all fleshed out and everything, but I have no way to make it happen. Games that I've seen that attempted to come close to MY idea of a RPG fighting game were sad and watered down in comparison.

But as it stands, I'd settle for a MUGEN that doesn't suck or another game like Devil May Cry 4 on the PC. DMC4 is the closest I've seen to the type of badassery I would create, and it only lightly touches on my ideas.

junkerde

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
I tried a few MUGEN games a couple years back....I generally liked them. I mean, I'm all for having a gazillion characters in one game like that, but the balance issues were ridiculous. I also didn't like how different characters would use different buttons sets.....like one used 6-button SF style, another used 4-button Tekken style, yet another would use some seriously sad 3-button method, some used a button to block (I really hate the method of blocking), some used back to block....all in the same game. I mean, I guess I can understand that they were trying to stick to (or were limited to) the way the character was used originally, but it just ended up being a complete a mess and I quickly tired of dealing with it and deleted them.

Now, if someone could point me to a MUGEN where the characters are actually balanced and it doesn't crash a lot, then I might consider looking at MUGEN again. Problem is, I'm kinda picky with fighting games, I don't want any cutesy characters or lame music. Music must be metal based as I feel metal fits a fighting game best. The characters must be cool or badass and not cute.....and no less than 40 characters to choose from, but preferably more than that. Yeah, I'm really picky like that. I see Mario or Kirby or some Sailor Moon crap in the game as a selectable character and I'm turned off. I can tolerate joke characters, but not ones that are just lame and cutesy.

Man! I can only imagine the kinds of games I'd make if I could program anything.....people would probably think I'm even more demented and morally bankrupt than I actually am. Gang members and prison inmates would hail my games as DA SHIT. I would take the word badass to a whole new level. Companies like Nintendo would scream like little girls and go hide in fear at the mere thought of putting a game I would create on one of their systems. Fighting games would actually be the simplest form of the badassery I would create.

30 plus years of gaming spawns quite a bit of imagination. Just be glad I have no interest in actually learning to program or the world would be appalled at the games I'd create. I still hold on to the dream of a fighting game RPG......I have the basic outline idea all fleshed out and everything, but I have no way to make it happen. Games that I've seen that attempted to come close to MY idea of a RPG fighting game were sad and watered down in comparison.

But as it stands, I'd settle for a MUGEN that doesn't suck or another game like Devil May Cry 4 on the PC. DMC4 is the closest I've seen to the type of badassery I would create, and it only lightly touches on my ideas.
yeah exactly, some compilations come with one of the most un important characters, and theres only so much characters you can edit and release. edit releases are still frowned upon. sometimes the developer no longer even works in the mugen community so there is really no one to ask to use the characters, and yes the controls sometimes suck but its easy to change their configuration, its just i have to constantly change everyone.

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
i heard about it, tried a few.. i hate it, rigid, broken gameplay.. but yea, homebrew game so.. its "playable" for non professional stuff i guess!

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
They're okay if you find well balanced characters, which is hard. The characters are most likely made by fanboys of said character so they make it broken.
I tried to make one a while ago but never really got into it.

Also, people who make Mugen tend to think they're hot shit and their mugen is the best thing ever created. That pisses me off.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-