Hardware PS3 - Fixing Bluray issue - Remarry on console with no OS?

TheSunnyMachine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I really need some help!

I got a console that was in all sorts of bad shape. Missing connector on the motherboard for the BD Drive was the first issue, I was able to replace it but I can't seem to get the OS to install, I think the daughter board that came with this console isn't the right one. I am stuck not being able to update. The progress goes to about 40% then gives the error for the BD drive. (8002F14E)

I did get another BD to replace the broken one, but I have no idea how to remarry the drive or which chip I would need to move over from the old board. The console is a 2001a revision.

I did try the old BD board in the new drive but I'm not even sure this is the right drive for this board, since this all came in such disarray.

I can't seem to launch Safe Mode so I am not sure what firmware the system is on. I want to use the new BD drive and marry it to the system, is there ANY way to do this without being able to get into XMB?

Thanks!

TheSunnyMachine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update to the situation: I found a way to get the system functioning again, so if anyone else is in this position here's what you can do: (requires a lot of soldering and tech experience).

Nor - Reprogramming with Teensy 2.0 ++
https://github.com/hjudges/NORway
https://github.com/hjudges/NORway/blob/master/NORway_README.txt

This guide helped point me in the right direction, BUT IT'S EXTEREMELY OUT OF DATE and missing a lot of information... AND half the links it recommends are broken. https://quade.co/2017/ps3-slim-custom-firmware-install/

The basics are to solder a Teensy 2.0 ++ to test pads on the bottom of the PS3, use Python scripts to dump the NOR - Then patch the bin file you dumped to take CFW. All the instructions are on the github. If you haven't used python before, it can be a little confusing, or if you have newer versions of python installed you can have some issues. So keep trying. I used Python 2.7.2 and I had to run the python commands from CMD prompt inside the folder the script was located AND indicate the python.exe from the folder.

This is the process I had to go through:
Get to the folder where you have the python script (mine is on an external drive named K, in a folder I setup for this)
CMD Prompt Order of Operations:

(Change drive letter)
K:

(Change directory to folder where python script is)
cd Retro Consoles\Sony\PS3\PS3 Hax

(Run the python 2.7.2 exe using the exact file path where it's installed + the commands in the Norway instructions)
C:\Python27\python.exe Norway.py COM# CommandsHERE

1711307683675.png

After you dump the Nor at least twice - check the file sizes and use a HxD to compare the Hex files to make sure they are identical, you can patch them with Norpatch.exe (on the GitHub). Then write the patched Nor, and try to install CFW.

Even after I patched the Nor the PS3 was still asking me for 4.90 or above installation files.

CFW would not install for me right away. I had to unplug my PS3 wired controller after pressing START and SELECT to start the install in order for the CFW to install.

I used Evilnat 4.90 noBD (current noBD available, 4.91 isn't out yet), but any noBD version should let you boot into the OS.

This will get you into the OS enough to be able to dump the eid_root_key, then remarry any working Bluray drive daughter board. You will see errors when you try to remarry, but it will still work.

After you remarry, I installed Evilnat 4.91 and did the remarry process a second time just to be sure, also showed errors, but did work. I have a live stream of this entire process, but I'm not sure if I can post that here, so I will err on the side of caution, but it's easy enough to search for it on youtube as I don't think anyone else has done videos on this process.

I now have a working PS3 (minus the BD drive - as I am still having an issue with it constantly ejecting, will try a new daughter board next). I can FTP games over to the system and they will boot just fine.

Hope this helps, if anyone needs help with this sort of thing, feel free to ask or message me.

Attachments

• 1711307731251.png
    1711307731251.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 8

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: BO1 is good, all 3 modes are good in that game