Ever have a band truly, passionately move you?

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me, it's Dream Theater. That band is like a symphony of heavy metal that has never been matched in any other band that I've ever heard. The words, the music, the orchestration....just AWESOME! So beautiful, so tragic, so intense and yet so relaxing. All of it just kicks my ass and forces my attention and brings out the emo in me. Tears come to my eyes when I listen to it. It pulls my emotions in so many direction at once with each song......their music captivates me and moves me in a way that no other music ever done has before. Ever have music raise bumps on your skin? Their stuff does that to me. Life decisions, life beliefs....life in general....it really makes you think and mesmerizes you.

Anyone ever encounter a band that moves them in that way? Name them. I want MORE music like this!

Discuss.

EDIT: the "s" in "move" needs to be removed from the title. Godammit! I hate when I make mistakes like that. Ruins the thread, ya know?!?

Mlacks

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I walked in on my mom and pop gitting their spank on using balloons with rubber bands that are ment for your PENIS
That rubber band truly. Passionately moved me out of the room.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I've never been moved by any band in the way your describing, but then I can't really recall ever being that moved by anything. The most influential bands in my life though have been Suicidal Tendencies (specially Pledge Your Allegiance and How Will I Laugh Tomorrow), The Cardiacs (mostly Is This The Life and The Whole World Window).

Zendrik

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I have been moved by The Human Abstract. The lyrics are amazing along with the way they are sung. And AJ Minette is the next Yngwie Malmsteen. AJ is an amazing guitarist and really brings a good band to a level of Amazing-ness. They are just an awesome band all together now. The thing that usually turns people off is the large amount of yelling and scream done by the lead singer.

PBC

What!? I can change this??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Moonlight Sonata is how I've felt every day of my life. In many ways it is life to me...
Its intensely beautiful in a deeply saddening way. Its full of frusteration in the way that it circles from high points of hope to low dark despair. Its like the moment you decide you do want to live forever...and just then you watch all your dearest friends and family die. It teases you with the thought that it could be pleasent...if only...if only life...

I want to make love to it...but I'm not sure when I will find a women who would appreciate it in the same way I do.

Most people play it much too fast and don't pay attention to the delicate tempo that should be kept.

I know I have some more modern bands I'd like to mention...but I'll take some time to think about those.

Ps. Murder By Death. A band consisting of Bass, Guitar, Drums, Piano and Cello. They make wonderful, dark swirling music. First CD "Like the exorcist but more breakdancing" Second "Who will survive, and what will be left of them". The second cd is revolves around this basic story. The devil has been drinking all night at a local dusty bar and is mouthing off to the locals. Finally one of the men in the bar gets fed up and shoots the devil in the back. The devil dies but vows to return to lay the entire town to waste. Its pretty powerful.
They also have a newer cd which I haven't quite explored yet...

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
The Beatles, EVERYTIME I watch Ringo beat the drums I smile.
Songs like Something and Don't Let Me Down are really passionate. And when I need to feel good all I need to do is play Please, Please Me or With The Beatles, and I'll be happily singing in 3 seconds
wub.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First thanks for the suggestion, checking out now.

It seems I am an emotionless bastard so I have yet to be moved. Were it to happen though the chances are it would be to something like Tom Waits, Black Sabbath or Korpiklaani.

Edit: took a look. Some decent technical metal (probably will be about 10 times better when I find some loud speakers) thanks a lot for the suggestion (I forget the album name but 8 tracks starting with 01 In The Presence Of Enemies Pt. 1_ I. Prelude _ II. Resurrection, 02 Forsaken, 03 Constant Motion)

Dunny

Trophies
XP
Country
Probably Pink Floyd - especially the first time I heard Dark Side of the Moon, in particular "Time" from that album. The lyrics to that are just sublime.

Also was affected quite a lot in my younger years by The Levellers and New Model Army - more the former than the latter, the NMA did produce some excellent stuff.

D.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lagman said:
The Beatles, EVERYTIME I watch Ringo beat the drums I smile.
Songs like Something and Don't Let Me Down are really passionate. And when I need to feel good all I need to do is play Please, Please Me or With The Beatles, and I'll be happily singing in 3 seconds
wub.gif
The Beatles always have song to either suit whatever mood I am in or change it.

MakubeX

Trophies
XP
Country
Pain of Salvation... their album The Perfect Element.... is just...well... perfect! But almost every album from them are masterpieces (ok, i still not very keen on Scarsick). I listen to them almost every day. By the way, they are a Progresssive Metal band.

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
Hmm, I don't know about "moving me", but one band that brought me back to music as a whole, was Limp Bizkit. Up until then, all I heard was this pop crap and quite frankly, I didn't like it, so I didn't like Music at all (bar some classical like Vivaldi - I was an odd kid, lol). Then I found out music doesn't just have to be pop, there's a plethora of different genres out there for me to explore.

NeSchn

Swag.
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm, the band that "moved" me into good music (metal). Probably Slipknot, then what moved me into death metal, it was In Flames. Black metal, Mayhem. Those are probably my 3 most influencial bands, I don't like Slipknot anymore though.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
For me it'd have to be Black Sabbath.
I can't help put get caught up in the music when I'm listening to the Paranoid/Heaven and Hell albums.
Soldier Side by System of a Down is really saddening too.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Odd songs here and there tend to get me rather than particular artists. I'll never forget an acoustic version of Everlong that I heard on Radio 1 from a live Foo Fighters performance*, the stripped-back version is just beautiful.

Having said that, Snow Patrol's albums do a pretty good job of it, I can't listen to them while out during the day cause they make me think too much
smile.gif

(*One Big Weekend - Sunderand 2005 if anyone's interested / was actually there )

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back